Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you ever used a TV or movie stars quoto in your day to day life?

Have you ever used a TV or movie stars quoto in your day to day life?

Sometimes I use one of Sheldon Coopers sayings when I'm confronting someone that ripped me off and they try denying it  - I'll point my index finger at them and say - The moving finger points then it moves on. Cheers!

Posted - August 12, 2019

Responses

Put your arms down when you get to school

August 12, 2019 3:18 PM MDT

All the time.
    But let’s give proper credit, actors are usually speaking other people’s words. 
      August 12, 2019 3:30 PM MDT

"The moving finger points then it moves on"

I don't know who Sheldon Cooper is, but I take it you know that line is paraphrased from an oft-quoted line in an ancient Persian poem, The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam? It's ages since I read the translation, by 19C writer Edward Fitzgerald who gave it that title, but from memory it reads as:

"The moving finger writes and having writ, moves on". 

August 12, 2019 3:54 PM MDT

Character in The Big Bang Theory---which ended its TV presence this year. 
      August 12, 2019 4:00 PM MDT

Ah, OK - Thank you!
      August 12, 2019 4:02 PM MDT

• I remember a little boy that lived next door to me a few years ago.  His name was Conner.  He was autistic.  He was funny and fascinating and very bright in his own unique way.  A wonderfilled child.  He had many endearing quirks to his behavior most of which were delightful.  I was always intrigued by his chosen method of communicating with people.  He often only spoke using lines from "TV shows and movies" and good Lord he had a million of such quotes kept in that secret stash within his mind.  One had to be familiar with the entertainment program he was referring to through his quote in order to understand what he was trying to communicate.  Without a point of reference the meaning would easily become lost.  Unfortunately that's when certain frustrations would set in.

Anyway, I think I am rattling on again as I so often do.  LOL!  I too make use of a plethora of famously spoken lines by performers.  My friends and I sprinkle our conversations liberally with such nonsense.  Someone on the outside of our circle might not fully understand, but those in the know get-it.  Its like having a secret language at times, but I venture a guess that is not uncommon amongst very close friends.  I am simply too overwhelmed by the sheer number of mimics and paraphrases we make use of to be able to offer just one that stays in constant rotation. 

There is one that comes to mind which was used offhandedly just this past weekend between myself and a female friend of mine.  She looked at me and quoted Agnes Moorehead as Endora from TV's Bewitched so I immediately stepped in without missing a beat as her estranged husband, Samantha's warlock father, Maurice.

Endora
    : "Maurice, this exhibition is absurd.
    Childishly flamboyant and pathetically egomaniacical."

Maurice
    : "Thank you, Endora, your charm is ageless.
    So sad about the rest of you."

Surely no one here at the Mug would describe me as childishly flamboyant and pathetically egomaniacal would you?  
    Oh yeah?  Really?  Well screw all of you.  LOL!

August 12, 2019 4:38 PM MDT

Can you design clothes?  

You may become the next Austin Powers.  Do you know Project Runway?

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 16, 2019 5:36 PM MDT
      August 16, 2019 3:40 PM MDT

• I've never designed clothes but I have modeled them on many occasions.
      August 16, 2019 4:24 PM MDT

August 12, 2019 5:01 PM MDT

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
      August 12, 2019 8:47 PM MDT

From Billy Madison? That was a way funny movie. Cheers!
      August 12, 2019 8:53 PM MDT

It makes me angry to see trees over 100 years old, irreplaceable in my lifetime, cut down to make room for businesses or houses.  When I see that, I think of a line from The Fellowship of the Ring where Saruman, played by Christopher Lee, in answer to a comment by one of his orc slaves about the difficulty of cutting giant oaks for the smelters of industry, Saruman says with a snear, "Tear them all down."  To make an unflattering impersonation of whomever might be destroying the trees I in my town I say those words, often out loud to myself, "Tear them all down."  That makes them seem as evil as Saruman. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at August 16, 2019 5:36 PM MDT
      August 13, 2019 1:34 PM MDT

• I too am a tree lover.  I marvel at them constantly.

"Don't Cut Me Down"

I'm tall I need room to grow
    I need the sun in my eyes
    My home is the earth below
    One day I know I will touch the sky

Don't cut me down For I am innocent
    Don't cut me down I am your friend

I sigh when the four winds blow
    I cry when the cool rains fall
    I shine in the moonlight's glow
    I am a home for the great and small

Give me a year
    A year another year
    It takes me time for new life to appear
    You cut me down
    Quicker than I can regrow
    Give me a chance
    I am the air you breathe
    Imagine what life would be without me
    I have been here
    Longer than you have you know
    Harvest the seeds you sow

August 13, 2019 1:55 PM MDT

not yet
      August 16, 2019 3:33 PM MDT

Go ahead....Make my day.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 16, 2019 5:37 PM MDT
      August 16, 2019 3:35 PM MDT

I almost used that and was going to post the clip.
      August 16, 2019 5:37 PM MDT