Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why is the U.S allowing so much investment by citizens of "unfriendly" countries?

Why is the U.S allowing so much investment by citizens of "unfriendly" countries?

Per Axios:

Alibaba exec snags Nets

A view of Barclays Center during a playoff game between the Brooklyn Nets and Philadelphia 76ers this year. Photo: Matteo Marchi/Getty Images

Joe Tsai, the executive vice chairman of Chinese tech giant Alibaba, is set to buy the NBA's Brooklyn Nets and their home, Barclays Center, for $3.5 billion, reports Bloomberg.

• "Rich Asians have been plowing money into professional sports franchises in Europe and around the world, though buying an NBA team is rare."
  • "Chinese investors have taken more stakes in European soccer teams," including powerhouses like Italy's A.C. Milan and Spain's Atletico Madrid.

Posted - August 16, 2019

Responses

US laws (or lack thereof) have for at least two centuries allowed (or failed to stop) foreign investment that has not always been in the best interests of this nation, or its economy, or its safety/security, or its people. Profit has long been the number one factor in decisions that line the pockets of business, industry, government, etc., with little regard for how it carries negative aspects in other areas that it touches. On the other hand, there are countries in the world wherein one must be a citizen of that country in order to purchase property, run a business, etc. The US does not have a steadfast, 100% across-the-board restriction against such practices. 

~
      August 16, 2019 8:43 AM MDT

I understand that they are in compliance with the law, but it would seem to me that we need to strengthen the laws regarding who can and who cannot make major investments in the U.S.  A certain amount of foreign investment is good, but there have to be limits on how much of an investment can be made.  Perhaps a good rule of thumb would be if we cannot invest in their country, they can't invest in ours.
      August 16, 2019 8:52 AM MDT

• We are just that stupid.
      August 16, 2019 12:12 PM MDT

We are prisoners in our own country.  It has nothing to do with stupid now.  We are just that WEAK.  

We have been gerrymandered, we have been run over by the BASE, we have Russia in our backyard now and we have a LIAR in OFFICE.

August 16, 2019 12:18 PM MDT

• Stay on topic Chicken Little.
      August 16, 2019 12:21 PM MDT

The U.S. Is not allowing this.  This is highly illegal.  TRUMP is allowing and encouraging this.  He is selling off the USA piecemeal.  He is hoping to erase the IDEA of Democracy because he wants to BE a WORLD LEADER and knows if he gets in the good graces of our FOES, he will have support to end anything he perceives to be a threat.  LIKE, for instance, all these charges leveled against him.

He and McConnel are selling rights to operate in this country and INVEST in the operation of this country.  I don't know diddly about SPORTS teams or how they function.  I know they have TONS of money and power because they have an audience who participates and PAYS to see the players.  I know that part.  But how much power and profit they wield is beyond me.  

I mean, we don't know where to LOOK anymore.  Do we investigate Moscow Mitch and his selling power plants in Kentucky to the Highest Russian Bidder?    This is not going to end well. I'm glad I'm old.  I don't want to live in the future that I see.  I don't want to live in a world where Trump has won again.  

August 16, 2019 12:29 PM MDT

• It isntb illegal and has been going for the past 25 years or more. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 16, 2019 1:42 PM MDT
      August 16, 2019 1:26 PM MDT

The manner in which it was done?  ILLEGAL.  And don't compare anything that was done before to what is  being done to us NOW.

YOU DO NOT go against the Constitution and communicate to any foreign power your desire to PUNISH electred members of Congress for  denouncing you, when you are the LEADER of a NATION they represent. They are elected officials and this is not legal.   SLANDER and LIBEL are not legal.  By anyone against a CONGRESSWOMAN or ANYBODY.  For starters.

The lie?  That they HATE JEWS.  

This from a pig who defended JEWS WILL NOT SUPRESS US Nazis as very fine people.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 16, 2019 1:41 PM MDT
      August 16, 2019 1:38 PM MDT

It is totally legal, immoral yes illegal no.  Last I checked the Knicks and condos in NYC etc were not covered as National security interests.  Nor are anchor babies, look at the preggers in temp housing in LA and SFO.  Good reason I would say to end Birth Right Citizenship unless ones parents are citizens or legaal immigrants
      August 19, 2019 3:00 PM MDT

We are NOTHING!! Money is EVERYTHING!!
      August 16, 2019 1:42 PM MDT

America can't complain too loudly for other foreign companies or countries doing to it, what its own corporations spent much of the 20C doing to others!

British politicians of all parties have spent years deluding themselves that selling assets off abroad is somehow "good". They call it "inward investment", a term as bad in significance as it is in English. Basically it means the profits go abroad - and not only to companies or the spivs in Canary Wharf, Wall Street or Hong Kong, but even to countries whose governments have bought the enterprises concerned.
      August 16, 2019 2:22 PM MDT

Answer of the Year!

~
      August 16, 2019 11:08 PM MDT

Thank you!
      August 19, 2019 9:37 AM MDT

not sure why
      August 16, 2019 2:35 PM MDT

It’s Capitalism, baby 

They‘ve got the funds, and the law enables it. The money doesn’t know where it came from. 
      August 16, 2019 3:52 PM MDT