Active Now

Spunky
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » A morbid thought: In fifty years almost everyone here will be dead.

A morbid thought: In fifty years almost everyone here will be dead.

Should we establish an answerMug hall of fame? I don't want to be awarded the honor posthumously. (Yes, I am being presumptuous.)

Posted - August 16, 2019

Responses

• Idle thought: On some days almost everyone here acts dead. 

Are they just practicing? 
      August 16, 2019 10:08 AM MDT

Not me, darlin'
      August 16, 2019 10:24 AM MDT

How perceptive of you. :) :)
      August 16, 2019 10:27 AM MDT

Who’s to say said Hall of Fame would still be around in 50 years. 
      August 16, 2019 11:27 AM MDT

Then let's start the hall of fame now.
      August 16, 2019 5:49 PM MDT

not me Haha. old bags 
      August 16, 2019 11:50 AM MDT

Oh yeah. Like I want to re-live any of it, much less keep going for another 50.  No thank you. 
      August 16, 2019 12:39 PM MDT

You're having fun now.
      August 16, 2019 5:49 PM MDT

I know for a FACT I will be.

SO WHAT?

We won't need Answer Mug where we are going because we will already know all the answers.
      August 16, 2019 12:37 PM MDT

Do we know all of the questions?
      August 16, 2019 5:50 PM MDT

Alex is on his way out and he'll be there for us.  

As a fitting conclusion to an eventful season, the last day of taping for Season 35 brought some surprise guests to Stage 10. Among the Jeopardy! champs in the audience that day were Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter, Pam Mueller, Austin Rogers and Alan Lin, who presented a special book of memories to Alex Trebek from all of the All-Stars. Each champion had taken a page to write Alex a personal note of thanks and support. 

Thanks to the fans and champions for the millions of well-wishes to Alex. See you soon – Season 36 is just around the corner!

August 16, 2019 7:46 PM MDT

• Not me baby!  I intend to live on in perpetuity,
    but you can still build a statue if you wanna.  I'm good with that.
      August 16, 2019 12:43 PM MDT

You are one of those who will still be alive.
      August 16, 2019 5:51 PM MDT

Maybe one day you might let me write your story -
    unless you decide to write yourself of course. :)
      August 17, 2019 3:14 AM MDT

... or we will all have our minds transferred to androids.
      August 16, 2019 1:56 PM MDT

i try not to think about stuff like that
      August 16, 2019 2:34 PM MDT

I don't think it's morbid.
    Though I wonder if you're bearing in mind that some Muggers may be as young as 13.
    63 seems a bit young to assume death by natural causes.

Leaving out the effects of climate change and assuming the deaths are natural...

My experience of working in aged care residences taught me that most oldies reach a stage when they are genuinely happy to die.
    For some, 2-5% by their own evaluation, it's very sad - there is no pain killer capable of relieving the pain of their particular conditions.

For most, their ailments are relieved well enough to be bearable, but a point comes when they just feel too tired to keep on going.

But

if you are thinking that by then we will ALL be dead - because of climate change - then I still don't see that as morbid.
    I would see it as a necessary first step before realising the necessity to take action on climate change.

We can adjust our lifestyles to reduce our carbon footprint in every way possible.
    we can donate a few hours a week to a local green organisation or community group.
    And we can write emails to our political representatives and their opponents.
    The more people who write, the stronger the effects.
      August 16, 2019 3:52 PM MDT

People who fear death do not see life as a continuation.  They think this is it.  
      August 16, 2019 7:47 PM MDT

I disagree.

There are hundreds of different views and beliefs about life and death in various cultures across this planet.

Many people fear death because they believe in an afterlife - and are certain that they will go to hell, become a hungry ghost, be reincarnated into some circumstance where what they've done in this life will be revisited on them in the next. Many are certain that there is no way that God could forgive them for their mortal sins no matter how much they repent.

I'm an atheist and do not see individual lives as having any continuity past death.

I have no fear of my own death.
    I mostly enjoy my life now and will not take my life until I'm very close to the natural end.
    When I do take that step it will be most welcome.

I don't get the chance to meet many atheists - they're rare in my part of the world.
    But none of those I have met have no  fear of death.

I am also a Buddhist.
    People sometimes ask, "so why don't you believe in reincarnation?"
    Because, while sitting in meditation and observing, I have seen that consciousness is dependent on sensation. This remains so even when the state reaches its greatest depth - floating in a spacious, peaceful awareness of awareness and being - the subtlest sensations, the out-breath tickles on the upper lip or the rise and fall of the ribcage, become magnified. Awareness is always awareness-of-something.

I do not believe that it's possible for consciousness to exist independent from physical reality.
    I cannot exist without the physical energy created by the metabolism of air, water and food.

I want to make very clear here, that what I'm saying is merely the expression of my beliefs and how I arrived at them. It is not intended to preach to or convert others.
    I respect absolutely the right of others to their faiths and their freedom to live accordingly.

You could check out my most recent blog if you feel like reading a longer explanation.

This post was edited by inky at August 17, 2019 3:06 PM MDT
      August 16, 2019 8:43 PM MDT

• Well, if wonders never cease and you do wake up surprised to find that you are on the other side, so to speak, then please, please, please, ask if you can come back as a poltergeist should it be an option.  I would love to be haunted by you.  You'd be a hoot and a half!
      August 16, 2019 9:41 PM MDT

And I by you, dear one.
    Or if we get reincarnated, maybe it could be as twin brother and sister in the same womb - spend a whole life together as best of friends.
    Our differences of belief, age and orientation don't matter to me
    because I see your whole foundation as build on love -
    which is all that ever counts in the end.
      August 17, 2019 3:12 AM MDT

I've known for years this is not the end. The Universe awaits me. This post was edited by Element 99 at August 17, 2019 3:07 PM MDT
      August 17, 2019 12:07 PM MDT

• The Little Ship

I stood watching as the little ship sailed out to sea. The setting sun tinted his white sails with a golden light, and as he disappeared from sight a voice at my side whispered, "He is gone".

But the sea was a narrow one, and on the farther shore a little band of friends had gathered to watch and wait in happy expectation. Suddenly they caught sight of the tiny sail and, at the very moment when my companion had whispered to me, "He is gone" a glad shout went up on the other side in joyous welcome proclaiming, "Here he comes!"

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 17, 2019 3:07 PM MDT
      August 17, 2019 12:30 PM MDT

Very cool.
      August 17, 2019 12:32 PM MDT