Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Isn't what Shell Oil and Gas done done illegal? FORCING employees to choose between attending a chump rally or getting paid? How is that OK?

Isn't what Shell Oil and Gas done done illegal? FORCING employees to choose between attending a chump rally or getting paid? How is that OK?

Posted - August 18, 2019

Responses

Utterly vile and dishonest behaviour! This is what you get when the prez himself is a dishonest liar.. it promotes dishonesty.. 
      August 18, 2019 1:34 PM MDT

Our Constitution gives us freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to peacefully assemble, freedom to redress our grievances with government but apparently not freedom to support or not support politicians? A company can have a moral code a dress code but a political support code? I have no words to convey my contempt for Shell and all the Shells. I wonder if left-wing companies do the same thing or is it only extreme right ultra conservative Fascists who bully? Thank you for your reply Addb and Happy Monday to thee! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 19, 2019 1:27 PM MDT
      August 19, 2019 1:42 AM MDT

Union contracts are crafty.   There's a lot of unscrupulous "fine print" in them, but members must sign or "hit the road".  Normally, this would be considered illegal.  However, if the union contract stated that members MUST attend certain "meetings" in order to receive pay for that day, then that member has little choice - show up to the meeting or not get paid.  When a union member signs that contract them they are bound by it - whether they agree with it 100% or not.
    Unions are notorious at telling the members of all the good things their contract gets them (pay, medical, vacations), while neglecting to mention the "fine print".  This gets the member to sign without asking questions  (who wants to read through all those pages of legalese?).  
      August 18, 2019 2:59 PM MDT

I had no idea that such things could be forced on employees. Here what is so BIZARRE. I thought extreme right-wing conservatives (aka FASCISTS) HATED unions! Beyond weird this whole thing Shuhak. I wonder if left-wing companies do the same thing? It is disgusting appalling and evil. Thank you for the informative reply and Happy Monday to you! :)
      August 19, 2019 1:45 AM MDT

Same here.  The union I had to be in was heavily democrat.  
      August 19, 2019 12:41 PM MDT

I worked for a couple who had a signed photo of Ronald Reagan on their office wall. Very REPUBLICAN. We didn't exactly ever talk about politics but I'm pretty sure they knew I wasn't one of them. Just once I recall a situation involving political contributions for some cause. I don't remember what it was but I declined to contribute. Nothing was said and I have no idea if everyone else did contribute and I was the lone holdout. But that's as close as I ever came to being "expected" to do something against my will or beliefs. Which I would never do. I'd quit first. No job is worth that betrayal of oneself. Ah. I just thought of another question. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 20, 2019 3:50 PM MDT
      August 20, 2019 5:41 AM MDT

No that is Fake News.

What is being done is the employees are being offered an EXTRA days pay IF they attend. They do not have to attend...

Kind of like extra credit in school. It is offered and those who complete it get the extra points. 
      August 18, 2019 3:18 PM MDT

This sounds like baloney bologna to me m2c. I asked a question about it to see if it is true or just your spin. Delete the question if you want. I did not name you. If it is true I want to know. If it isn't I want to know. So you got a head's up. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee.

This is the next day m2c. Why do you "like" this? I got an email from JA deleting the question to which I referred where in I did not mention you by name so how would anyone have known about whom I was speaking but she said I insulted you so the question had to go. If you were insulted and reported to her how can you possibly "LIKE" this? I am very confused about the rules here.

They are erratic and not evenly applied or so it seems to me. I never complain about anything or anyone but I am making an exception for this. It is contradictory and therefore illogical and illogical drives me bonkers so can you straighten me out please? I really don't give a rat's a** what happens to the questions I ask because I never check up on them. If JA had not informed me of the deletion I would never have known. Weird odd bizarre queer peculiar to me because it is unnecesary. Just don't tell me. I don't care. That way you never again have to face a reply from me like this. Okey dokey? Just delete away.  I will never know. And I double down DON'T CARE! This post was edited by RosieG at August 20, 2019 5:36 AM MDT
      August 19, 2019 1:58 AM MDT