Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Spunky
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Arts » Do you have a really cool picture that recently caught your eye? Please share it with the rest of us!

Do you have a really cool picture that recently caught your eye? Please share it with the rest of us!

Here's my contribution.  I fell in in love with this!!! Salvador Dali and his goat

Posted - August 18, 2019

Responses

You want man boobs?  Here are some to chew on. It's an oldie, but it's a goodie
      August 18, 2019 5:58 PM MDT

Image result for world's best photos
      August 18, 2019 2:20 PM MDT

Image result for woodford festival photos720 × 405

August 18, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

Ohhhhhhhhhhh that is great. Doing gymnastics on a tightwire? I can barely walk after eating something containing vanilla extract. Is that in Oz?
      August 18, 2019 5:27 PM MDT

Yep. At the Woodford Music Festival.
    35 venues for different kinds of music spread out over a huge site so that the sounds don't overlap.
    Over 120,000 people camping for 7 days, Dec 26th - 1st Jan in the sub-tropical summer heat.
    Many restaurants and cafés of all kinds of cuisines, craft workshops, exercise and dance classes, public interest talks and debates, market stalls, sculptures and street performers.
      February 16, 2020 7:29 PM MST

• I thought this was a pretty good picture of pushing the barge the other morning 

August 18, 2019 2:31 PM MDT

This is what you do, correct? what lake, canal, or river is that on?  How large is your barge? lol 
      August 18, 2019 5:29 PM MDT

• River... That one is a  20x 50 I believe it is. Just big enough for two full size dumpsters, or two dump trucks with enough  wiggle room to get them off  The large  barge is 28x80.  Something like that.

This is that small barge in the picture.

We ended up fitting another track hoe on that trip.  So big enough for a farm tractor, skid steer, and two track hoes plus a gang box of power tools .   I would love to just be able to buy it and go at it myself.
      August 18, 2019 6:17 PM MDT

Cool. What's the going price for barges? Seriously...
    That 28x80 is big enough to put a mobile home on. 
    How far do you guys travel?  and there are islands, as well, yes? 
    Dude, I would so love that job
    PS..I need that Bobcat
      August 18, 2019 6:21 PM MDT

• Stand alone barges like that?  No idea what a new one would cost.   Used they go for anyone's guess.   Its really hard to say depending what it was purpose built for and what its capable of.  How beat up.and welded or old they are.  

One like that probably could get around 30-40grand.  The bigger issue is a place to do the maintenance and equipment and money to do it. That and finding one for sale at the right price point.  There's plenty of people with the pockets to overpay just to get one available and make it up from use.  When it is $150 an hour  the moment a foot touches the dock until the moment its back on shore they make money quick . So if someone is going to get 10-15years at least its fine not to make a dime of it a couple years from overpaying a bit just to get one when they are available. Especially when you factor in you would be paying someone else to barge your construction or landscaping materials to haul them on theirs, or even passing up big jobs.  If you are using it in addition to your other business on the river you're making delivery money while also allowing the other end of the business to run more productively so its making you money in more than one way.

The standard maximum distance is about 20 mile stretch in either direction from the dock it stays at.  So drive distance with going around islands and going the width of the river is about 30-40
    The guy I work for will sometimes  go farther if its a big order,  is being rented for a decent length of time as a work platform  but no moving, or he likes ya.  If its a bunching big deliveries farther than that, or even close to it that distance we often just leave it there and do pick ups from a boat ramp or dock yard near the island to save gas and time. On a good day with clam waters and a decent load average about 5-8 miles an hour.   Sometimes its down to two on bad days.

Believe it or not though,  no joke,  we push that thing loaded like that with a 4 cylinder Mercruiser motor  that's somewhere between you and I in age.   No problem at all, never even question the old girl.
      August 18, 2019 7:15 PM MDT

• A new self powered Stanley ( all welded aluminum landing craft barge/  push tug  like this starts at 80 grand for just the hull new.

August 18, 2019 7:21 PM MDT

I had no idea that went for that much, but I'm not surprised.  So it's a good business, especially on that river. It looks rather substantial in width. We have the Connecticut and Merrimack rivers here and none are that wide. Holy cow.  I have seen smaller barges like the Stanley in your pic and perhaps just a little bigger navigating along those rivers. I'm fascinated by them. 

What kind of loans are there available for purchasing your own barge?

August 18, 2019 8:41 PM MDT

Image result for mapplethorpe

August 18, 2019 2:48 PM MDT

Is that yours? Did you take that shot?
      August 18, 2019 5:51 PM MDT

Nope.
    Robert Mapplethorpe 1946 - New York - 1989 Hyacinth 1987 Photogravure on vellum. 81.3 x 83 cm (114 x 96.7 cm).
    Mapplethorpe is one of my favourites in art photography.
    Thought you might like it.
      February 16, 2020 7:33 PM MST

Image result for mapplethorpe

August 18, 2019 2:49 PM MDT

Oooooooooooo I was just talking about them with Twinkle Dink a few weeks ago. That's Patti Smith and Robert Maplethorpe.  I'm in heaven!  Isn't he a beautiful man???  I do not believe he would have minded being objectified given that he made a career out of it. lol

And then there is Patti, My Queen...

August 18, 2019 5:46 PM MDT

Agreed. :)

February 16, 2020 7:33 PM MST

Wait, what do you mean it doesn’t count? Grrrrrrrrr. 
      August 18, 2019 4:08 PM MDT

Periodically, I will accept punctuation, yes. 
      August 18, 2019 5:51 PM MDT

No photo description available.

August 18, 2019 6:04 PM MDT

Whoa! Welby! Great shot.
    It's so stark and elegant in beautiful black&white
    Who is that, do you know?  It looks as though it's French fashion photography 
    Thanks, Welby. I'm going to dig a little deeper into this because I'm curious yellow
      August 18, 2019 6:17 PM MDT

This image is by my favorite photographer Leonard Lewis.
    :)
      August 18, 2019 6:50 PM MDT

Funny. The picture I posted is gone for some reason.
      February 16, 2020 7:15 PM MST

Did you upload an actual picture or use the link to post it? If you used the link and the original post is charged or removed, it will affect your post.
      February 16, 2020 7:49 PM MST