Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Is there a point where things stop getting better and start getting worse?

Is there a point where things stop getting better and start getting worse?

I mean this on any level... from something simple to something more philosophical.  I started thinking about this from a simple perspective.. I have a new 2nd hand vacuum.. to replace an old Dyson vacuum that was seriously unwell but had served me many years. The new model you would think is super-duper better... a vast improvement..  but I find it cumbersome in some ways, and awkward to use and it keeps hitting me in the shins with something that sticks out at the back..  I wondered if *they* are so busy telling us that everything is better, more efficient, better designed but actually things are less well designed but we all believe they hype? 

Posted - August 18, 2019

Responses

My body. It started at age 57. Only surgery is keeping me together. One in April and another in three weeks.
      August 18, 2019 12:49 PM MDT

Aww hope the surgery goes well and fixes you. I too am at that stage... potentially due an op ... trying to replace a lost tooth, bits hurting and not working as well as they should.. blah blah.. it's not fun is it but at least we still both have our devastating wit and humour :)
      August 18, 2019 12:55 PM MDT

Yes we do. Nothing humorous about a useless right arm, but it should heal by November.
      August 18, 2019 12:59 PM MDT

Remember the bionic man? Steve Austin - You will be like him.. better than before, better, stronger, faster :)
      August 18, 2019 1:20 PM MDT

Ask me anything.  And I don't mean I have the answer, but if I can help answer anything at all, please consider that I want to help. 
      August 18, 2019 3:27 PM MDT

Is the surgery for joints?

If so, yippee ayay!

Soon you will be free of pain and free. :D

August 18, 2019 1:45 PM MDT

New shoulder Sept 5th.
      August 18, 2019 4:11 PM MDT

Hooray!
    I feel so happy for you, Ele. :D
    Do you have to do anything special to prepare?
      August 18, 2019 4:23 PM MDT

Stop taking any NSAIDs and aspirin. No eating or drinking after midnight the day before. All should go well. Thanks.
      August 18, 2019 4:30 PM MDT

I got a new shoulder after I broke my humerus bone. My shoulder was perfectly fine before the injury, so if I am satisfied with the results, you should be ecstatic.  
      August 18, 2019 5:16 PM MDT

My goal is to fish with my grand kids.
      August 18, 2019 5:26 PM MDT

To find the answer, I'd have to research industrial design across a wide field over a span of about 60 years.
    Not a project that takes my fancy right now.

With just a scan of my memory, I think most things have generally improved in design.

I know what you mean about vacuum cleaners.
    I no longer use them at all. 
    Our place is very small.
    I get down on my knees to do the Baluchistan carpet with a stiff brush and pan.
    Less use of electricity, more exercise.
      August 18, 2019 1:55 PM MDT

It depends on the point of view.

Any company that makes a product and then doesn't do anything with it, wont be in business long - even if they have an exceptional product.  That's because people get used to things.  As one gets used to something, it becomes "invisible".  Therefore, if a company can't keep their product in the customers "eyes", their competition will.. and they will lose sales.  Plus, once everyone has their product they won't sell any more.  So they keep "improving" it - adding "new" features, remove features that were unpopular (companies go off feedback from their customers to "redesign" their products), change the color (was avocado green, now it's stainless steel), rename a feature to make it seem more prominent (now with patented "Vac-U-Suck" technology), etc.  The mentality of most customers is "new is better" (even if that isn't always the case).  thusly, they'll toss out the old product for a newer one so as to stay "modern"... even if the only thing that changed was the color of the product.  Sure, some people complain, but most don't... or if they do, they don't tell the manufacturer.   
      August 18, 2019 2:17 PM MDT

Hmm. Sounds like misleading marketing. I recently asked a question about that. Good example.
      August 18, 2019 4:13 PM MDT

It appears to me that we started entering into a Dark Age in November, 2016. 
      August 18, 2019 2:40 PM MDT

Ok.  I say if it WORKS, don't fix it.

Also things go in waves it seems.  We never have things only get worse.  Or only get better.  We humans are very slow learners.  Look who is in Office in the White House for starters.
      August 18, 2019 3:26 PM MDT