Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » In the event that Donald 'art of the deal' Trump manages to buy Greenland do you think that his approval ratings would soar?

In the event that Donald 'art of the deal' Trump manages to buy Greenland do you think that his approval ratings would soar?

That's probably why he wants to do it. He can't back off pursuing the deal now because that would make him look like an idiot. 

Posted - August 18, 2019

Responses

Not gonna happen, and he looks (and sounds) like an idiot regardless. 
      August 19, 2019 5:04 AM MDT

Greenland is the terratory of Denmark. I'm sure they can use the money. I mean 'something stinks in Denmark'
      August 19, 2019 6:56 AM MDT

'Something stinks in Denmark'  Phew! That was a long time ago. 
      August 19, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

I doubt that this deal would ever happen,since Denmark is not open to it,  but it's not the stupidest thing Trump has proposed. From what I understand, both Russia and China have also expressed interest.  It would not be good for us to have Chinese or Russian territory in the Arctic. Greenland is also rich in natural resources which are becoming more accessible as the ice melts.  The US has purchased territories from other nations many times before. History shows how the purchase of Alaska was regarded. Whether or not we made a good investment there is debatable, but no one really thinks about it any more.
      August 19, 2019 9:03 AM MDT

If the US economy tanks and Trump buys Greenland anyway it won't be good for his polls. Cheers!

August 19, 2019 9:20 AM MDT

• Simple answer...yes.  Americans love to shop and buy things.  We are a consumer nation.  We also like planting our flag.  I say it would be a win for him.  We should wait till they mark it "clearance".
      August 19, 2019 9:34 AM MDT

At this point, does it make a difference?
    I think I'll  start loving trump, too. I hope he doesn't give me the AIDS This post was edited by Jon at August 19, 2019 12:07 PM MDT
      August 19, 2019 10:10 AM MDT

I'd be very surprised if the Greenlanders, or any people for that matter, would want their country to be bought by any other.
    Each nation likes to keep its sovereignty intact, no matter how desperate its plight with global warming becomes.
      August 19, 2019 11:10 AM MDT

Greenland is not a sovereign nation, but rather a territory of Denmark. There is a population of less than 60,000 which are mostly Inuit. They seem to want to keep things the way they are.
      August 19, 2019 12:02 PM MDT