Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Open carry is available in some states. At what age do kids get to open carry too? Grade school, junior high, middle school ,high? Why?

Open carry is available in some states. At what age do kids get to open carry too? Grade school, junior high, middle school ,high? Why?

Do YOUR kids carry? Do they have open carry or concealed weapon permits? Are they sharpshooters?

Posted - August 19, 2019

Responses

Either 18 or 21. 

Most states with open carry have restrictions about locations....no churches, schools, daycares etc and any business can post no firearms. 
      August 19, 2019 6:20 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c. Very helpful. But parents go hunting with 12-year-old kids who have guns and are shooting too right? At what age does daddy dearest but a firearm in the hands of a child and trains the child how to handle it and shoot? Whatever he feels like right? Sad that.
      August 20, 2019 2:50 AM MDT

Proper training is not sad. It is responsible. 
      August 20, 2019 4:53 AM MDT

WHAT? I do not know American school age-classifications, but this tells me some States allow even children to carry firearms and ammunition?

As for being sharp-shooters, that can only come by regular, dedicated shooting-range practice and very calm, careful aim in the real event. And it is actuallyin most people's nature to avoid killing another person, a characteristic the regular Services have to overcome in basic training of adult recruits, without replacing it with a desire to kill. As I once heard a very senior British Army officer once admit on the radio, "warfare is cold-blooded murder."

Otherwise the bullet aimed at an attacker is far more likely to hit someone or something else, perhaps ricocheting totally unpredictably, especially if fired by a highly-stressed school-child on the verge of panic; at best accustomed only to aiming at inert images in a controlled firing-range.
      August 19, 2019 10:47 AM MDT

Why I  asked is that some crackpot pol said that ten-year-old girls would be very sad if they couldn't get rifles for Christmas.WHAT? Yep. Sad because no rifles for Christmas. I just thought my gosh if that is what 10-year-old girls lust after we're doomed. I dunno where we go from there since we  are already here at nowhere. At some level the gun folks are CRAZY about their guns and communicate that to their children. If papa goes hunting does his 12 year kid go too with a loaded gun to kill? Thank you for your reply! Sad place this is. Always was. Getting way worse. This post was edited by RosieG at August 19, 2019 12:46 PM MDT
      August 19, 2019 12:45 PM MDT

Ah, yes, I spotted your post about the NRA member saying that.

Christmas... Peace on Earth and Goodwill ....

I can't believe anyone would be so stupid as to suggest a powerful rifle is a normal Christmas present for a young girl, but if he was serious and it wasn't his sick humour or deliberate exaggeration to make some point, what a nasty attitude to take.

Oh, I am sure you are right about some hunting fathers taking their children along as soon as old enough to hold a gun - but not skilled enough to kill an animal that didn't need killing anyway, cleanly with a single round.

I was tempted to look at the NRA's web-site to see what they have to say for themselves publicly but realised I'd either start receiving unwanted ads for rifles, my computer settings would block it or some Internet server filter would flag me up to General Communications Head-Quarters (part of the UK's security services, concerned with tracking cyber-crime and terrorism)!

August 19, 2019 3:08 PM MDT

Very smart of you Durdle. I guess everywhere we go we are tracked so it's best to stay away from evil which is what the NRA is. Didn't used to be that way. Decades ago it was non-political and harmless. Then I guess the greedy money-hundred hoors figgered they could make a killing by politicizing it, covering it with wackadoodle conspiracy theories and making it be about a second amendment right when all it was really about was making money and becoming powerful enough to DICTATE to  politicians what to do. That made it an evil enterprise. It isn't all the members who are evil. But evil has infiltrated it and the power structure is mad have no respect for anything but making money and making suckers out of the people whom they have brainwashed and flimflammed. Sheesh. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! :)
      August 20, 2019 2:56 AM MDT

After reading the prior posts, to see why anyone would ask such a silly question ... I figured I had to share this:

My friend's father got all his kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids bb guns for their first Christmas.
    I don't know why - because they don't actually get the gun until they turn 13. 
    He keeps the guns in a safe, until then.  Won't even give the guns to their parents.
    I think it's weird.  Why buy something you won't let the person have for another 12-13 years?

Anyway ... I don't think there is any age limit on air rifles.
    Which have been used for centuries to kill small game.

How many kids are running around with NERF or AIRSOFT guns, shooting people?  I don't know, but it's a bad habit.
    In fact, when I see it, I will stop the kids and educate them on proper handling of firearms - including NOT pointing even toy guns at people.
      August 19, 2019 3:26 PM MDT

It's available in any state which has not outlawed it.  It is the default common law.  Americans since birth have had the right to own and carry firearms.
      August 19, 2019 3:40 PM MDT

There must have been a definite reason for it - apart from the obvious that people living in very remote countryside at the time probably had to hunt wild animals to supplement their diet.

What was that reason? Was it to allow raising militias before the fledgling nation could establish a properly-equipped and trained, professional Army?

It was also in the days of crude pistols and muskets of modest accuracy and low range; not high-power hand-guns and long-range, magazine-fed, assault-pattern rifles. 

It sort of echoes a Mediaeval English law, from well before fire-arms, that required all able-bodied men to be able to use long-bows. The primary difference is that once the need for such private armaments faded away in Britain as more regular armies and guns started to develop, the law too eventually disappeared. As far as I know it was not transferred to gun ownership, and though originally an obligation but later simply tolerated, owing any weapon of war never became some sort of automatic "right" even before legal controls were introduced, let alone an allegedly-unassailable "right" with a bizarre romantic sheen.
      August 19, 2019 4:29 PM MDT

That is the key Durdle. It was in the time of simple weapons not the arsenal of assault weapons we have today. You bring that up to the gun people and they simply ignore it and tell you that whatever murderous weapons we can come up with are covered by The Constitution and the Second Amendment. They want access to AK 47's and flamethowers and cannons and whatever the he** they can get their hands on including sadly the newest and scariest thing imaginable....missiles POWERED BY NUCLEAR REACTORS. That is apparently allegedly what caused the nuclear explosion in a Russia a few days ago. Why not "arm" everyone with a dozen of them? I'm gonna ask. My two cents m'dear! :)
      August 20, 2019 2:59 AM MDT