Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Within the same species, can animals from different locations understand each other, or does environment determine communication?

Within the same species, can animals from different locations understand each other, or does environment determine communication?

Technically, I’m asking whether or not the concept of language exists in animals of the same species when they are from different regions of the world, and if so, does animal language vary worldwide. 
~

Posted - August 20, 2019

Responses

If a lion is tracking down an antelope, the message that the antelope detects is loud and clear. So it runs away.
      August 20, 2019 7:30 AM MDT

Same species means same species. 

:|
      August 20, 2019 7:41 AM MDT

Animals do have what we would call accents or dialects. 
    Ocean animals are believed to have different languages and their location can be identified by their language. 
      August 20, 2019 8:15 AM MDT

Humans are animals.

Since we evolved different languages based on location, I would guess any other animal with a language did the same.

And since we can't understand each other when speaking different languages ... I doubt other animals can, either.
      August 20, 2019 9:10 AM MDT

As far as I can tell, yes.
    Dolphins and whales have been recorded as having distinct click patterns unique to their particular pods.
    Neighbouring pods have similar patterns; distant pods increasingly less similar.
    And yet when individuals of distant pods meet, they have no difficulty in responding in ways that suggest mutual understanding and cooperation.
    Scientists have not been able to discern the characteristics of human language in these patterns - meaning, no vocabulary and no grammar or syntax.
    It's more likely that they represent formations in eco-location reflecting the specifics of the environment.

Similar things have been found in songbirds with distinct familial songs, such as the Australian Pied Butcherbird.
    Here, there is definitely no language.
    The male bird develops his song to attract a hen. He improvises on it like a jazz musician.
    Each son inherits the song but adds a variation of his own.
    The hens are not fussy about the regional variation of the song, only the quality of musicianship.

All horses breeds, no matter what country they come from, read each other's body language instantly and unerringly.

Most prey species have an intrinsic sensitivity to the behaviours of predators.

Zebras are astute readers of lions. When the pride is well-fed and lazing around or playing, the herd will graze close by. But the moment one lion makes a move indicating interest in prey, the herd bolts.

Chimps in captivity have learned Amaslan sign language and to be inventive with it. 
    Different languages or dialects have not yet been taught or explored.

This post was edited by inky at August 20, 2019 11:08 AM MDT
      August 20, 2019 10:45 AM MDT

This is an awesome question. I'm loving the answers thus far. 

I do not believe animals have language in the same sense humans do. They may vocalize and make sounds which convey meaning, but it's more of a general thing. A dog knows when another dog is angry before the growl comes because of the angry dog's posture and hair standing on end. I would venture to guess it's the same across all species. Even though birds may have mating calls to attract a mate, it's probably more about the pitch and pattern than anything else and that's not a learned behavior. It's instinctual. Instinct comes from genetics, not location.

These are just my random musings. I didn't research and have know genuine knowledge on the subject. 
      August 20, 2019 11:00 AM MDT

I would agree that "body language" is more universal than spoken language.
    But that is because "body language" is linked to emotions rather than reasoning.

Even then, certain cultures have different "body language" so it would be hard to read ... but not as difficult as a different spoken language.
      August 20, 2019 11:42 AM MDT

That's true, but it's not really what I was trying to say. Body language is not necessarily universal. There are huge variances based on culture. In some places, it's polite to keep your distance (especially Western ones) whereas in other cultures, it's expected that you'll stand super close to the person you're talking to. In some cultures, eye contact is polite and a sign of respect. In others, it's rude. The list goes on. 

But, there are instinctual things and you may well be correct that they're linked to emotions. The fear response is universal- all people flare their nostrils, widen their eyes, and open their mouths when something frightens them. Evolutionary scientists think it's actually a social trait- we do it automatically to warn others around us of the danger. I would venture to guess that certain human vocalizations are universal as well. As far as I know, all humans make the same distress cries, the same "oof" sound when surprised, some variant of "oww" when hurt. It's close enough that when you hear those sounds, even from someone who doesn't speak your language, you can identify what's happening with them. 

And, it's those non-verbal vocalizations I'm thinking of. They're not real words. They don't have meaning. And, yet, we know what they mean across various cultures and languages. I suspect this is what animals are doing as well, which is why I think animals of the same species would have no trouble understanding each other. 
      August 21, 2019 9:30 AM MDT