Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Legal » just wondered if this is why i was able to get on ssi

just wondered if this is why i was able to get on ssi

ive tried to get on ssi for 7 yrs and couldnt get it, one day a neighbor left a note taped to my door with the number of citizenships disability, i called them thinking they called me, anyways 8 months later i got on ssi , i was born in uruguay and i noticed that when they would send me emails they would have my spanish name on it, my social security card was in spanish, im a citizen, when others have tried to get me on ssi they used my english name, did that agency catch on to that? just wondered if thats why they were able to get me on it when noone else could

Posted - August 29, 2019

Responses

Why do think you are eligible for SSI?
      August 29, 2019 6:29 PM MDT

i have joint issues that are making it really hard to work
      August 29, 2019 7:17 PM MDT

It sickens me that actual working Americans who paid into the system their whole adult lives, will see the fund dry up before they can collect their due because shiftless parasites are collecting benefits they didn’t earn. 
      August 29, 2019 7:11 PM MDT

how do you know i i didnt earn them?
      August 29, 2019 7:18 PM MDT

Guilty conscience? 
    What makes you think I was talking about you? 
      August 29, 2019 7:35 PM MDT

Sounds like a 'gotcha'...
      August 30, 2019 7:25 AM MDT

:(

Careful, Don. You sound kinda Trumpish. 

I'm not arguing that every single person who collects SSI/SSDI has a real disability that prevents them from working, but I'm pretty familiar with the process and can tell you that it's not just handed out without pretty serious scrutiny. 
      August 29, 2019 9:02 PM MDT

I‘m going to believe you, SA. Thanks for the reply. 

I am thinking of a particular case of a young relative by marriage, a basement dwelling pothead who is ‘playing the system’ the way his deadbeat mother does.  For reasons that elude my meager understanding of the process, he just got a $30,000  “settlement(?)” from SSI. (Which he blew inside of 10 days) 
    No way he earned this. It would amaze me if his case is unique. 
      August 30, 2019 4:15 AM MDT

That would be my deceased brother. He couldn't get a job as he was a convicted felon, an alcoholic and a drug abuser. Oh, he got free medical, too. All on our dime.
      August 30, 2019 7:29 AM MDT

That happens because we classify addictions (alcoholism/drugs) as a disease. Makes it a way to quality for disability.
      August 30, 2019 10:41 AM MDT

And he also could have gotten a job had he stayed in the Marine Corp instead of going AWOL and getting busted for burglary. 18 months in the pen. His fault.
      August 30, 2019 1:01 PM MDT

I agree, but think of all the illegals who are paying into Social Security that will never collect because the're using false numbers.

Also:  "Supplemental Security Income benefits are paid out of general U.S. Treasury funds, not from Social Security taxes. You need not have worked a certain amount, or paid FICA taxes, to be eligible."

"The actual Social Security definition of “disabled” is different than it may be for other programs, since Social Security Disability applies only to individuals who are fully disabled to the point that they cannot engage in any type of work."

August 30, 2019 10:01 AM MDT

Well then that is good to know.

Given that the Govt does such a poor job of managing our money in general, it annoys me to see deadbeats getting paid for essentially breathing, on our tax dime. 
      August 30, 2019 10:45 AM MDT

I hear you.  
      August 30, 2019 10:46 AM MDT

It should not have anything to do with it. But you should have only one legal name. So I do not understand the whole Spanish name vs English name. You should have one legal name whatever language it is in. 
    Your SS card should have been issued when you were naturalized as a citizen. You should not have gotten a new one with a new name after you were approved for SSI. 

SS Disablity is based on if the government believes a worker has the physical and/or mental ability to keep a job that makes a minimum amount per month. (Used to be $800....is likely higher now) Once it is determined that a worker cannot make that amount consistantly (because of a physical or mental issue) then they will either qualify for SS Disabilty or SSI (Supplemental Security Income) based on the amount the worker has paid into the system. SSI is the minimum amount a person will recieve. 

I know the requirements for physical disablity are made less strict after the age of 50yr old. 
      August 29, 2019 7:41 PM MDT