Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I wonder if life is less exciting/satisfying for those who can buy whatever they want whenever they want and do whatever they want whenever?

I wonder if life is less exciting/satisfying for those who can buy whatever they want whenever they want and do whatever they want whenever?

Seriously. There is nothing to look forward to in terms of saving up to get it, working hard to be able to afford something. You want you buy. No waiting.

So your entire life is that. You want you buy. You want to do you do. No waiting for anything. No anticipating anything.

Of course I've never had the pleasure of living that life so what do I know? Nada. I have had the pleasure of wanting and saving up and working hard and finally getting it and the feeling is awesome.

Just wonderin' what life on the poor side of the wealth  tracks is like.

Posted - August 31, 2019

Responses

• I don't know but I'd like to be in a position to try it sometime.
      August 31, 2019 9:37 AM MDT

Me too. One day futurely for one day only. Thank you for your reply SC and Happy Labor Day Money to thee.
      September 2, 2019 3:25 AM MDT

I think most wealthy people were born into that wealth, so striving for something isn't in their DNA.  They derive no pleasure from the accomplishment of working hard and saving to attain it.  Their pleasure is derived from one-upping a fellow wealthy person, getting something first and being ahead of their peers or just accumulating material things.  There is something to be said for learning the value of striving for achievement, but there is also something to be said for having enough money to take care of yourself and your family well without worrying that if you buy something expensive, it will be at the expense of some basic need.
      August 31, 2019 10:00 AM MDT

I wouldn't mind knowing what it feels like to buy something without looking at a price tag to see if it is affordable. I've never done that in my entire life. I think for just one day it would be a nifty experience. Just to know what that feels like. I wouldn't trade that for what I've experienced in terms of working very hard and earning my way through life because it does please me. BUT what could it hurt to see how the other side lives if only for a day? Thank you for your thoughtful reply L! :)
      September 2, 2019 3:28 AM MDT

I've been fortunate in that I've always had very good paying jobs.  I also have only myself to worry about, so I have been able to buy an item or two that is more expensive than many people would spend.  If I really love it, I treat myself. :)
      September 2, 2019 11:00 AM MDT

That's awesome my friend. I remember way back when I had just $5 in my checking account until the next payday. My ex wasn't paying the child support he was supposed to be paying and I worried about not being able to take care of my son. Things worked out better than I hoped and I was able to pay for his undergraduate degree (4 years) at Cal Berkeley. I was fortunate. Good jobs fell into my lap. For his graduate work...Master's and Ph.d...he took out student loans. The result is he has an extremely well-paying job and heads his department at a university.  He is tenured professor so as far as I know he will never have to worry about losing his job. He loves what he does and is very good at it. I did my job as best as I could and so I'm glad things turned out as they did. Thank you for your reply L.! :)
      September 4, 2019 5:14 AM MDT

I was in that situation with only having a few dollars when I moved out of my parents house into my own apartment.  I had to buy everything new.  I took out a bank loan.  Once that was paid off, I was OK.  My youngest nieces both have student loans.  The older of the two is just about to finish paying it off.  The younger one is just starting.  She chose a field that does not traditionally pay well - social services and it will be a while before she see's daylight.  She has her Masters, but cannot afford to get her PhD.  Unfortunately, my sister is paying for some of her loans plus her own student loans, so there's no extra money.  Maybe one of the Dems will win and abolish student loans.  
      September 4, 2019 7:13 AM MDT