Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Even though it’s been years since you were in school, do you still get that pit in your stomach, dread feeling on labour day weekend? I DO

Even though it’s been years since you were in school, do you still get that pit in your stomach, dread feeling on labour day weekend? I DO

Posted - September 1, 2019

Responses

• CAN SOMEONE PAY ATTENTION TO MY THIS QUESTION FFS???
      September 1, 2019 6:42 PM MDT

No, I loved my summers, but I always enjoyed learning.
      September 1, 2019 6:46 PM MDT

• You didn’t feel sick to your stomach when the back to school commercials started? 
      September 1, 2019 6:48 PM MDT

When I was going to school, there were only 2 TV channels in the town I lived in as a child; and marketing was not much of a "thing" yet.

We were the only ones in the neighborhood with a TV (way before color) and people would drop by to watch Bishop Sheen on Saturday afternoons at our house. 

I came to enjoy the eventual commercials for beer "from the land of sky-blue waters."

Jingle

The original jingle, with lyrics by Nelle Richmond Eberhart and music by Charles Wakefield Cadman was derived from a 1909 art song entitled "From The Land of Sky-Blue Water". It was first used on radio and later on television. It started with tom-tom drums, then a chorus intoned (partial lyrics):

From the Land of Sky Blue Waters [(Echo) Waters]
    Comes the water best for brewing,
    Hamm's the Beer Refreshing,
    Hamm's the Beer Refreshing,
    Hamm's!

Alternative wording, 1950's radio and T.V.:

From, the Land of Sky Blue Waters – Hamm's Beer,
    From the land of pines, lofty Balsams,
    Comes, the beer refreshing,
    Hamm's, the beer refreshing,
    Hamm's!
      September 1, 2019 6:55 PM MDT

• Interesting :) did you have the Jerry Lewis telethon on weekend before school started or was that after your time too? I did, but I know it was toward the end of his time doing that. Gawd, that was the worst. Last day could watch price is  right but couldn’t watch price is right Cos freakin telethon.
    -_-
      September 1, 2019 6:58 PM MDT

• Paying attention Bish 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 2, 2019 5:05 PM MDT
      September 1, 2019 7:01 PM MDT

• Lol :) good good. From your pic, I see you’re an introvert just like me ;p 
      September 1, 2019 7:03 PM MDT

• So terribly true 
      September 1, 2019 7:05 PM MDT

• ;) 
      September 1, 2019 7:05 PM MDT

The Jerry Lewis MDA Labor Day Telethon---First episode date: September 4, 1966

I was a Junior in college.
      September 1, 2019 7:02 PM MDT

• Oh wow, it was on a long time then, thanks. 
      September 1, 2019 7:03 PM MDT

I don't dread Labor Day but school always started a few weeks before Labor Day anyway but I keep having a recurring dream that I'm the age I am now but I'm back in school anyway but sometime in the middle of the dream I realize I already graduated from school and I wonder what I'm doing there so I get up and walk out which always makes the teacher mad but I always tell him I already did this so I don't know why I need to be here.  I hate that dream. 
      September 1, 2019 8:27 PM MDT

• Reoccurring dreams are the worst! I have one too but I won’t go into it Cos long... I hate recurring dreams. Freaky as’ 
      September 1, 2019 8:36 PM MDT

I’m going to have recurring nightmares thanks to that run-on sentence. I know you did it intentionally to wrack my brain. Grrrrrrrrr. 
      September 2, 2019 6:08 AM MDT

No. I’ve never had that happen at any time in my life.

~
      September 2, 2019 6:11 AM MDT

• Lucky, I was always a wreck on night before first day of school. 
      September 2, 2019 6:42 PM MDT

Hmm... must be a Canadian thing? Schools are already back in session here. Labor Day never meant anything to me... at least not as a child. However, I am taking classes as an adult now and my next semester starts tomorrow- it's by chance because you can somewhat select your start dates. I am dreading it. I shouldn't be because I love school, but I don't want to go back to the extra workload again. 
      September 2, 2019 1:04 PM MDT

• Yeah I guess is a Canadian thing. Every level of school always started day after Labour day.  From grade school up to university. Good luck with your upcoming classes:) 

September 2, 2019 6:42 PM MDT

I know in some places it used to be that way in the states...my parents and MIL all say they started the Tuesday after Labor day. 
      September 2, 2019 7:41 PM MDT

Nah...we were already in school by then. I do remember Labor Day, 1972. It's the day I got off the airplane in Guam to report to my first ship. This post was edited by Element 99 at September 2, 2019 8:27 PM MDT
      September 2, 2019 5:08 PM MDT

• I guess that would be a labour day you wouldn’t forget :)
      September 2, 2019 6:43 PM MDT

Absolutely.
      September 3, 2019 6:55 AM MDT

• My nephew was freaking out today because he starts tomorrow. I still get a tinge of dread and anxiety the first time I see the back.to school.commercials.
      September 2, 2019 7:04 PM MDT

• The back to school commercials kinda stressed me out, but it was that freakin’ telethon on long weekend that sent me over the edge. 

September 3, 2019 5:42 AM MDT