Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Courtesy of Hurricane Dorian One MILLION people are under mandatory evacuation orders including all on vacation in hotels. Where do they go?

Courtesy of Hurricane Dorian One MILLION people are under mandatory evacuation orders including all on vacation in hotels. Where do they go?

Also a curfew from 10 pm to 6 am and also no alcohol can be sold during those curfew hours? Can they do that legally? So getting drunk is out of the question. Do they flee/flea in autos and live in them until they can go back again? How far inland do they have to flee/flea? How do they avoid gridlock? What if the gas stations run out of gas or are closed? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted - September 2, 2019

Responses

I can see the sense in the curfew (part of protecting against looting as well as not wanting anyone out in physically dangerous areas after dark), and in staying sober, but I've often wondered where all the evacuees do go in such emergencies. Do the authorities find as many buses as possible, to help move as many people as possible to safety?

I'd have thought not just inland but also to the side of the storm's predicted path, but I don't know how far inland a hurricane typically travels before becoming exhausted.  
      September 3, 2019 3:06 PM MDT

I've seen photos of other evacuations Durdle. You probably have as well. Jam-packed roads. Gridlock. Now these Dorian folks had a few days warning but still that's a lot of people. Maybe they all go to the homes of friends or relatives. Are there shelters set up in safe areas? The current gubment is so inept I doubt they are smart enough to know what to do. They issue an evacuation order and their job is done? What about what comes after? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      September 4, 2019 2:56 AM MDT