Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Music » What song would you play on repeat if you really wanted to infuriate someone?

What song would you play on repeat if you really wanted to infuriate someone?

Posted - September 5, 2019

Responses

I like this
    :)

never heard it
      September 5, 2019 7:42 PM MDT

September 5, 2019 4:16 PM MDT

My daughter's fiance hates that one with a passion.
      September 5, 2019 11:14 PM MDT

He's a keeper..........
      September 6, 2019 12:18 AM MDT

The English National Athem...:( 
      September 5, 2019 11:10 PM MDT

I did a version of that last time England played Australia at the Adelaide Oval:

God help your useless team
    Here's to your woeful team
    God help your team
    Send them South Africans
    Kiwis and Irishmen
    No Englishmen to be seen
    God help your team
      September 6, 2019 1:25 AM MDT

Sounds about right....lol
      September 6, 2019 7:14 AM MDT

If I really wanted to torture someone by playing something over and over again I'd use a commercial jingle, something like the one for Menard's.  Playing anything sung on a Progressive commercial over and over again would also be really cruel.
      September 5, 2019 11:52 PM MDT

[If part of this text is struck through, please ignore the effect: it is an artifice of the programme and I cannot prevent or remove it.]

Provided it was well out of my own earshot:

Frank Sinatra's My Way or Come Fly With Me. (Apart from the former song's wilful illiteracy and egotism, I regard Sinatra as the most hyped but least able, singer of his era and style. Though they had no and needed no pitch-correctors in their studios, and he was generally in pitch and time, he sort of spoke rather than sang the words.)

Any one song from the films The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins.

Any rap / drum-&-bass / similar track.

The Jackson's Long-haired Lover From Liverpool, (or indeed anything by the Jackson(s) (Five) or Osmonds together or individually, or Prince).

Any American Christmas-commerce hit, dripping with insincerity, unoriginality and pseudo-sentimentality, like Dreaming of a White Christmas or "Sanna" Clause Is Coming To Town.

'

This is an obscure one: If my victim is Donald John Trump, perhaps After The Flood, on Van der Graff Generator's 1970 album "The Least We Can Do is Wave To Each Other". I like their music but it is an acquired taste and this track is no exception. The song postulates an ice-melting so marine transgression sufficient to exterminate mankind, though admittedly due solely to an astronomical event and an inundation of Biblical / Waterworld depth is impossible anyway; but the message is there with a little lateral thinking. (Oh all right, "if my victim is... "!)  

Alternatively, for the same DJT, the folk-style song Linden Lea, by the Dorset poet and linguist William Barnes, set to music by Ralph Vaughan Williams. It is a beautiful song, melody and arrangement so sacreligious to misuse it so; but  again, the message is hinted at in the circumstances. (Some might suggest Jerusalem, but William Blake may have been attacking his contemporary universities, not factories at all, as "dark satanic mills"; and it is about England, not Judaea or Palestine!)

[Edited to supply the heading note about something striking-through a large part of the message. The effect appears here when I press Send, but might not be on your reading.] This post was edited by Just Asking at September 6, 2019 5:52 PM MDT
      September 6, 2019 2:40 AM MDT

Mark Knopfler is worse (Sinatra could carry a tune) - but Knopf makes up for it by what he can do with the Schecter.

I quite liked those two Julie Andrews films - the first dozen times.
      September 6, 2019 4:42 PM MDT

:   )  Great song!
      September 6, 2019 7:30 AM MDT

This would certainly be a contender:

https://youtu.be/eeUs9tFI8V0

September 8, 2019 11:04 AM MDT