Active Now

Spunky
Element 99
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What kind of licensing would a person need to be able to lawfully drive a tank on city streets?

What kind of licensing would a person need to be able to lawfully drive a tank on city streets?

Posted - September 5, 2019

Responses

Perhaps just a note from trump.
      September 5, 2019 9:43 PM MDT

Merely stalking me isn't enough for you, eh?  You absolutely insist on escalating things, I see. 

~
      September 5, 2019 11:16 PM MDT

You can't.  Unless the city streets are built of something so tough, it would be 10x's harder than concrete. That is for sure.  

So, no.  Unless they are trying to demolish the area, it just is not going to fly anywhere.  
      September 6, 2019 12:11 AM MDT

A license to carry a gun.
      September 6, 2019 1:44 AM MDT

Who is going to stop a tank from driving where it wants?!?
    It's not like they're going to call out the military to blow it up, in the middle of a civilian population.

Seriously, though ... no special license is required.
    It would just have to be "street legal" ... meaning head lights, brake lights, license plate, etc.
    (lol - good luck affording the registration, in states where it's based on vehicle weight.)
      September 6, 2019 7:37 AM MDT

Right. But, you know, the whole point is to be a law-abiding citizen in a tank, so the military and police wouldn't be called in. The goal would be to legally be out and about. 

Good point on the weight though. I know my state does 3 and 30-day registrations. That could work if the tank is temporary and weight becomes an issue. Can't be more than a semi-truck though... or maybe build a small tank. :)
      September 6, 2019 10:23 AM MDT

Probably just a license plate. 
    Or maybe just a Slow moving vehicle sign (like farm equipment) 

I know it is legal for a civilian to own a tank. My husband's cousin had one...may even still have it. But I know he would not have bothered with a plate. Etc. 
      September 6, 2019 10:33 AM MDT

Some places, yes, some no, it depends on local law. The government usually frowns upon anything that tears up the roads and a tank is heavy and the tracks damage the road surface. Tracked vehicles are allowed on some surfaces and in some locations. Many farming places allow tracked vehicles as long as they have a rubberized surface on the tracks themselves and many in the U.S. use tracked tractors that are just as heavy as a tank. Used tanks are available for purchase in the U.S. and some are fitted with padded tracks and are legal to drive on U.S. roads. In the U.S. the tank is considered “heavy machinery”. the same as a trackhoe or tractor because the firing mechanisms in tanks guns that are sold must be removed or damaged in such a way as to make them not function.

2.7k views · View Upvoters · Answer requested by Rejit Panicker
      September 6, 2019 10:36 AM MDT

I am sure laws vary on this. But a average semiTruck is 30-45 tons. The average tank is 35-80 tons. So a small tank would not tear up a road that can support a Semi. 

I did see that a Federal permit is
    required if the guns work. Federal Destructive Device permit. But they are legal in all states on private and off road. The tank itself requires NO license. 
      September 6, 2019 11:18 AM MDT

I know this is off the subject, but what use is a SMALL tank anyway?   Who needs one of those and for what? 
      September 6, 2019 11:21 AM MDT

Sarah Palin would probably like to have one so she could drive it to the beach and shoot whales with the cannon. Cheers and happy weekend!
      September 6, 2019 11:33 AM MDT

Do you enjoy going 4 wheeling? Multiply that by 100. 
      September 7, 2019 7:45 AM MDT

The thing about a tank that would tear up the paved road is not its weight, it's the treads.  Armored vehicles do not have rubber wheels like road-worthy vehicles do, because in order to operate in rough, off-road terrain, wheels would be inadequate.  The treads are sturdier and made especially for the traction needed to maneuver on surfaces other than paved roads. Additionally, because tank treads are not made for paved roads, they can also be damaged or their off-road efficiency diminished if and when they travel on paved roads for extended periods of time.  (That's why armored vehicles are loaded on flatbed trucks when they have to be transported on long highway stretches.)

~
      September 7, 2019 8:31 PM MDT

Nothing to do with an 80 ton plus tank doing less than 1 mile a gallon then.....:( 
    English Tanks have rubber Wheely track thingies fitted when driven on our roads....:) 
      September 7, 2019 8:43 PM MDT

The rubber pads to which you refer are part of the tank's treads.
    ~
      September 7, 2019 9:02 PM MDT

They better tread carefully in future or try coasting to the Coast on their days off....:( 
      September 7, 2019 9:06 PM MDT