Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
CosmicWunderkind
Randy D
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Reason & Solution for Strange Strike-through Problem.

Reason & Solution for Strange Strike-through Problem.

Unwanted striking-though of part of message, appearing automatically when I press Send: reason and how to remove it, please? (Tried "Help" but that's all artificial FAQs, so no help!)

Posted - September 6, 2019

Responses

Where is this happening?  Your post doesn’t display any of it, so is it on email or what?
    ~
      September 6, 2019 5:34 AM MDT

It appears on the text of answers I contribute here, when I select "Post Reply", but it is intermittent, not on all messages, and it's entirely possible it affects only my end of the system.  
      September 6, 2019 2:41 PM MDT

Help/ FAQ answers the most common questions. This is the first time I've heard of the problem you're referencing or anything similar to it.

In order to troubleshoot, I would need a detailed explanation including:
    -What page you were on
    -What action you were trying to take
    -What actions you did take
    -What type of device you're using
    -What type of browser you're using

Better to send it via email because I don't always catch discussions. 

All that said, the strike-through is a text formatting option available in the toolbar. I would venture to guess that the button got bumped, but I know browsers we don't support sometimes do really funky unexpected things, especially on mobile devices, so although it's unlikely, it could be an incompatibility issue. That said, you should also be able to highlight the text with the formatting and hit the strike-through button on the toolbar (the " " button, and it will undo the formatting. 

September 6, 2019 10:04 AM MDT

Thankyou JustAsking.

It happened on two replies on Rosie's Corner. I had typed the reply and the effect appeared when I selected "Post Reply". I have not seen it happen anywhere else. I did wonder if I had mis-typed something and inadvertently operated a key combination that activates the command, but if so I would expect to be able to remove it by selecting the affected text and cycling the Strike-through button as you suggest.

It might affect only my end of the correspondence, too.

I use a conventional PC, with WIN 7 Pro.

I don't know the underlying browser's type or identity, behind my ISP's home page and e-mail service (BTInternet).  
      September 6, 2019 2:48 PM MDT

Aha! I found it. Took me forever, but I was messing around with your music answer and I realized what it was doing. It wasn't you per se. For whatever reason, the text box thinks when you put the letter "s" in brackets, you're giving it the command to do a strike-through. So, anything typed after will have the line through it.
      September 6, 2019 5:56 PM MDT

OMG and it eliminates my example... like [ s ] without spaces. 
      September 6, 2019 5:57 PM MDT