Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Have you ever been pulled over on suspected drunk driving and not been driving drunk?

Have you ever been pulled over on suspected drunk driving and not been driving drunk?

Posted - September 8, 2019

Responses

Yes when I pulled out of a parking space where the  street curved I didn't check my mirror carefully enough and the cop car almost smacked into me, they were in my blind spot. They got out of their car, walked over and angerly asked me "HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING? " They gave me quite a good lecture about safe driving. 
      September 9, 2019 12:25 AM MDT

Once - I wasn't driving, my son was - on a Learner's Permit. It was about 3am, and the cops who pulled us over (after reassuring my son, who was 16 and terrified) told us that drunk drivers had been slapping L plates up to make it less likely that they would be pulled over - so they were stopping cars displaying those plates at random.
      September 9, 2019 1:53 AM MDT

Aww... poor kid. 
      September 9, 2019 11:26 AM MDT

“ . . . slapping L plates up to make it less likely that they would be pulled over . . . ”

What does that mean, please?
    ~
      September 9, 2019 9:24 PM MDT

L is for learner permit.  A learner can operate the vehicle while with qualified sober person is with him/her.
      September 9, 2019 10:55 PM MDT

I see, thank you. In Australia, is there a learner's license plate?
    ~
      September 9, 2019 11:28 PM MDT

A separate plate must be displayed in addition to the license plate to indicate to other traffic that the vehicle is being operated by a Learner. Drunk drivers were putting these up to try to avoid being stopped by police (being pulled over is intimidating and learners don't need a reason to make mistakes, they do enough of that already. Tim did nudge the kerb when stopping.) Police did tend to avoid stopping learners, but when it became apparent that drunk drivers were pulling that dodge, they included them in RBT stops.
      September 10, 2019 2:21 AM MDT

No
      September 9, 2019 4:42 AM MDT

Yes. I was eating a burger. This post was edited by my2cents at September 9, 2019 9:25 PM MDT
      September 9, 2019 5:23 AM MDT

This made me laugh.............
      September 9, 2019 4:47 PM MDT

• I haven't but when I was younger my dad was pulled over under suspicion of drunk driving.  I'll never forget the hilarity of the situation. Mom and Dad arguing...Dad I guess weaving across the road...cop pulls him over and asks if he's had any alcohol to drink...Mom laughing and telling the cop that a drunk person would probably drive better than Dad does...Dad still having to get out and go through all the tests....cop letting him off with just a warning and telling my Mom to try to remain calm while he is driving, haha. 
      September 9, 2019 6:15 AM MDT

The only time I have ever had an encounter with the police outside of my home was after leaving a wedding.  The police had a sobriety checkpoint at the end of the road and were speaking with everyone who left the venue.  I told him that I had one glass of wine when I first got there several hours earlier and he sent me on my way.  I do not drink and drive - never have, never will.  I don't think I could live with myself if I caused harm to another person because I was not sober.
      September 9, 2019 8:19 AM MDT

Yes!   NEVER change lanes on a freeway at 2 am without signaling - even though there are no other cars on said freeway, in either direction... in the entire county!  
      September 9, 2019 8:35 AM MDT

Yes.  Once they said I was "weaving" when I was not.  They just were bored and wanted to stop people.  They did nothing.  

Once I was looking for a store in a parking lot and they said I was driving erratically. Again, it was two new troopers who had no clue what they were doing.  You could tell when they stopped me.  They were just fools practicing.   They did nothing. I was NOT driving erratically.  I was looking for a store.  

So, I am a good and safe driver and I have not had a ticket in at least 20 years.  
      September 9, 2019 8:38 AM MDT

Nope. 

~
      September 9, 2019 9:22 PM MDT

Not yet, but when I grow up I plan to do it all the time. This is where your civic duty and simple humanity demands you jump in and strenuously dissuade me - but be prepared, mere words will not suffice.
      October 20, 2019 1:10 PM MDT