Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How does a person turn so greedy that another human life means nothing to them?

How does a person turn so greedy that another human life means nothing to them?

Posted - September 9, 2019

Responses

I'm not sure until they tell me what they got.

September 9, 2019 4:00 PM MDT

If someone is conditioned to the point where that's the only solution that keeps them safe at a young age or they're consistantly rewarded for it, they'll carry it through to adulthood. 
      September 9, 2019 4:04 PM MDT

I often enjoy your take on human nature, JA.
    Did you ever train as a psychologist?

September 9, 2019 9:12 PM MDT

Thank you. I'm actually back in school and majoring in psychology now. 

You might find the following insightful: https://www.jneuropsychiatry.org/peer-review/misconceptions-regarding-psychopathic-personality-implications-for-clinical-practice-and-research-neuropsychiatry.pdf 
      September 9, 2019 9:37 PM MDT

Thanks.
    Unfortunately, I'm getting the message, "this site can't be reached." I'll try again later.
      September 9, 2019 10:01 PM MDT

Greedy? 

Any human life or one in particular?
      September 9, 2019 4:42 PM MDT

No.
      September 9, 2019 4:43 PM MDT

It's one of the defining traits of a psychopath - zero empathy for others.
    Zero empathy is what makes a person amoral and very dangerous.
    From studies by psychologists, it seems the cause is always rooted in serious and long-term abuse in early childhood - under the age of eight.
    It is also considered one of the least curable or treatable conditions because the psychopath does not believe there's anything wrong with them and so is never open to change or help.
    Levels of severity vary.
      September 9, 2019 6:00 PM MDT

How very true...it's even worse when it infects an entire nation...:( 
      September 9, 2019 10:34 PM MDT

True. :(
    Despite all the news, documentaries and long-form articles, we seem to not realise just how destructive to the life of the planet our collective behaviours are.
    We need to change our cultural zeitgeist - make it cool and normal to be frugal, to use all means to avoid single-use plastics, to buy goods that last rather than ones with built-in obsolescence, to re-use and re-cycle, to embrace renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and hydro, and public transport, cycling and walking.
    And we need to plead with our politicians to take climate change seriously - because not making the necessary changes now will only bring a far heavier and more disastrous cost later - well within our lifetimes.
      September 9, 2019 10:44 PM MDT

Every word you say is true....Plastics in our oceans is set to rise from 8 million tons a year to 50 million tons a year within the next 20-30 years they estimate.....No one says or comments about how pollutant making electric vechicles are and the damage its doing in Australia ,Canada Romainia and so many other countries where the special minerals are mined and made into batteries...
    The world is marching forward at such an alarming rate....The Oceans are being over fished ,poisoned and are now ingesting micro plastics .......baby wipes are made of tiny plastic fibres and are not removed by our sewage systems and are becoming part of bio organisms bodies.....they are in turn being eaten by larger preaditors and end up in earth top predators......a quite unique twist of fate I think......
    If I live to be 100....another 70 years roughly.......I'm 110% sure it will all have quite devastating effects on every living breathing ,growing life forms on this planet.... 
    Future wars will no longer be over religion....it will be over drinking water first ,food crops and energy/ fuels :( 
      September 9, 2019 11:13 PM MDT

I am sad to say that my country, Australia, is among the worst offenders in environmental matters.
    I am one of the many who campaigns against it - tries to influence the pollies.
    I believe our voice has recently been growing louder - almost to the crucial tipping point of 3% of the population.
    But the stalwarts in power still believe they have too much to lose by changing their ways. We are still a very long way from convincing them.
      September 9, 2019 11:21 PM MDT

You wil never in your life se it happen....I think we are nearing the point of no return...How do you un pollute the things that's been going on for this last century plus....How do we restock the oceans with fish and mammals etc ...How will the oceans cleanse  themselves of man made pollutants.   :( 

Another interesting thing, How long before Chernobyl defunked nuclear reactor  is 100% safe again....I've read thousands of years ? Who is going to maintain it all that time....
    There are 450 plus reactors in the world growing yearly.....What happens when some go wrong .....there have been a few now and how many near misses we never get to hear about ? 
      September 9, 2019 11:39 PM MDT

Unfortunately, because of the way things are going, I agree with you.
    There are many scientists who believe we reached the point of no return in 1997 because climate works like a juggernaut - it has a feedback loop which is exponential.

There are efforts to clean up the oceans. An Australian yachtsman, Ian Kearney, started the worldwide movement to clean up the oceans.
    There are now full-time trawlers, paid by charities, dredging the coves of uninhabited islands to retrieve the plastic and bring it back to land for recycling.
    There's a company that sweeps up ocean plastics, melts them down and turns them into jewellery; one can buy a bangle to help fund the work.
    Scientists have invented a chemical that causes nano-particles of plastic to clump together and float to the surface so it can be collected.
    Of course, this is not nearly enough.

Marine biologists, in Hawaii and on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, are identifying species of corals which show greater resistance to warming oceans. They are working on ways to bioengineer this resilience into the other corals. Some of the test results have been promising.
    In the meantime, blooms of jellyfish have been taking advantage of warmer seas and disturbed environments, growing to plague proportions and further decimating the other species of marine life close to human environments. So scientists are working on ways to try to turn them into palatable food.

The environment around Chernobyl will probably not be safe for over 10,000 years - due to the half-life of radioactive isotopes. It is now officially forest and wilderness. Wildlife has returned to it, but the rate of deformities is horrific. I haven't bought European cheeses or other foods since the meltdown. I feel anxious for Europeans who must consume their own produce.
    Fukushima is as bad - but hasn't had enough time to detect the genetic results in the population. Because of the Japanese need to retain face, much goes unreported. People are returning to the area, officially allowed and encouraged. The returnees complain that no one will buy the food they grow. But in the meantime, radioactive water is still leaking into the bay - the ocean life is sick, mutated and inedible.

I agree with you that nuclear is not the alternative to fossil fuels.
    For countries that are poor in local renewable resources, the solution would probably be solar thermal, with international distribution over long distances.

The solutions do exist.  Not to stop global warming, because it's already too late for that. But to slow it down, and to lessen the degree to which global temperatures rise. If we could accomplish this, then further down the track we could begin to reverse the man-made aspect of climate change, bring it back to the slow, natural rate at which nature can adapt. But it's estimated that that would take at least a hundred years.

That, in my view, is why we need to keep fighting to try to persuade our politicians. And we need to do it the right way, with hard evidence, not rhetoric, and certainly not abuse or name-calling (as I've seen too often with my ardent activist acquaintances.) This post was edited by inky at September 10, 2019 12:13 AM MDT
      September 10, 2019 12:00 AM MDT

Jeez, Zack!  I hope you're not referring to an incident in your own life!?  I know several people who have valued money over my friendship, but never my life, that I know of.
      September 9, 2019 9:08 PM MDT

An incident in my life? Maybe. Maybe not.
      September 9, 2019 10:25 PM MDT

Its instilled in babies from birth ,with positions of power, wealth,possessions and with the goal of making money why they sleep taking president over everything im afraid to say....People then just become prawns in their strive for notoriety and getting things for free.....:(
      September 9, 2019 10:32 PM MDT

Can't really see that has anything to do with greed.   Human life, as precious as it is, is nonetheless fleeting.  And if we do nothing but fixate on that aspect of it then how are we going to get around that to get anything done in our lives or just to live our lives?  So at some point we just have to accept that.  Because it is impossible for us to save everybody - that can't be done.  So we accept that and move on. 
      September 11, 2019 6:27 AM MDT