Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Are the Republicans and Democrats playing good cop, bad cop?

Are the Republicans and Democrats playing good cop, bad cop?

Posted - September 9, 2019

Responses

Now that's an interesting question!
    Though with my liberal views I would frame the Dems as the good cops and the Reps as the "bad."

But it leads to other questions:
    In the justice system, the good cop/bad cop routine is designed to weaken the target to make them talk and fess up.
    If the same game is being played by politicians, to what end are they aiming to weaken their citizenry?
    What benefit would they get from it?
    And how does this goal change when we bear in mind that the role of any politician is limited to how long they can remain in power?
      September 9, 2019 10:00 PM MDT

Yes.  All they're doing is role-playing.  Notice how when Democrats have the presidency and both houses of Congress liberals still never really get anything from their list of dreams.  Notice how when Republicans have the presidency and both houses of Congress conservatives never really get anything from their list of dreams either.     There's more to politics than just liberal vs. conservative but news people only focus on liberals and conservatives but nothing else.  After work most of them are good friends with each other and most of them all go to the same parties.
      September 9, 2019 11:35 PM MDT

Isn't this because the current house does not have a sufficient majority to pass the legislation it wants?

Doesn't it mean that when the vote is too close, or when the electoral college is in a position to call the shots irrespective of the people's wishes, the debates on legislation will always have equivocal results?

The truth is that most democracies are not truly democracies at all. They have been designed to try to give the people the illusion of a voice, but none of the real power. It takes monumental swings of opinion to make a significant difference.

And for that, people need to argue their cases using facts, research and concrete evidence - not just engage in slanging matches over opinions.
      September 9, 2019 11:42 PM MDT

Isn't this because the current house does not have a sufficient majority to pass the legislation it wants?
    You missed her point.  She factually stated that even when one Party has the power to pass their changes, they rarely do.
    I believe this "failure" is due to the fact that passing their legislation platform, would require them to think of NEW ideas - rather than continue to rehash ones they came up with generations ago.

Since a democracy is nothing other than "mob rule" ... it is little different than anarchy.
    There has never been a democracy on a large scale.
      September 10, 2019 9:50 AM MDT

I LOVE how people on here are saying OH YES, when they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

NO.  No one is a good cop here.  There are several bad players.  But no one is a good cop.

???

The Dems are back from vacation and there is GOING TO BE HELL TO PAY AND THEY ARE NOT BEING GOOD COPS ANY MORE.  
      September 10, 2019 12:57 AM MDT

No, and this analogy is actually an insult to cops. 

That routine would require a cooperative effort, to play off each other, and that is clearly not the case. More like two cliques of jr high schoolers in an endless rap battle while both fail their classes. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 10, 2019 10:38 AM MDT
      September 10, 2019 3:15 AM MDT

• Neither side has anyone with enough real courage or integrity to be cops.

The contest between all these hacks is between dumb and dumber, sick and sickest.
      September 10, 2019 8:51 AM MDT

• UGH! 

All I know is they're playing. 
    Its time to get some real work done.  What a bunch of ne'er-do-wells.

Might be time to pull a page out of French History
    and play "How many heads can you fit in a basket?"
      September 10, 2019 9:44 AM MDT

They are just playing at being Congress persons.  
      September 10, 2019 10:39 AM MDT