Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » What is the etymology of the phrase "down under" when referring to things Australian? ~

What is the etymology of the phrase "down under" when referring to things Australian? ~

Posted - September 9, 2019

Responses

Its below me to even contemplate to begin answering this question....for a start....I have no idea what yore on about....:( 
      September 9, 2019 11:46 PM MDT

I wouldn't describe it as an etymology.

Rather, the phrase reflects the power balance between northern and southern hemispheres.

Europe and America (ie the West) collectively represent the most dominant economic, political and military power on the planet - with China, India, Russia and the Middle-East falling not too far behind - all north of the equator.

South of the equator, the countries of South America and Africa are still far behind in matters of influence - primarily due to factors of history.
    Australia ranks as a middle power - having only moderate influence, but the only power of any significance south of the equator.
    Even this much is only because of how we have welcomed America to position its radio-telescopes, satellites and naval ports on our territory to make up that crucial third of its global surveillance.
    That makes Australia the Down Under country with respect to northern powers and perceptions.

If you ever travel here, you might be surprised to discover that you feel right-side up. ;) This post was edited by inky at September 10, 2019 6:13 AM MDT
      September 10, 2019 12:31 AM MDT

Thank you, but I don't understand your answer at all. I'm specifically asking about it from the etymological perspective; you began by negating that. Your response went on in a completely different direction. It's all very interesting, I love learning new information. I am focused on the origins of the phrase in this particular instance. 

~
      September 10, 2019 4:52 AM MDT

That's easy.  The Rainforest (what's left of it) is the lungs of the  Earth.

Down under is the vagina.  
      September 10, 2019 12:47 AM MDT

As soon as I saw that you had responded, I knew immediately that it would not be a useful answer. Clicking on it has confirmed that. 

:|
      September 10, 2019 4:48 AM MDT

I will never disappoint you.  
      September 11, 2019 11:54 AM MDT

It refer two you're B'its and peices down under world wide I would think...
    My god you've lived a sheltered life.....
    This is a question you should be asking yore mummy .......hehe 
      September 10, 2019 5:00 AM MDT

When you look at a globe or a map, Australia is down at the bottom.  Ergo, "down under" the other countries.  How's that for a short answer?
      September 10, 2019 10:36 AM MDT

You’re related to Sharonna, aren’t you?  Lol!
    ~
      September 11, 2019 8:59 AM MDT

She's a bit more verbose than me. :)
      September 11, 2019 10:04 AM MDT

(than me I am.)
      September 12, 2019 1:09 AM MDT

Thanks.
      September 12, 2019 5:17 AM MDT

On a Eurocentric globe or flat map, cardinal North faces the top. Ergo, Australia is "under" most others. The term has been in use since the mid-19th century, and was given momentum by the chunder from down under, Men At Work, and their anthemic homage to Vegemite sandwiches.

September 12, 2019 2:33 AM MDT

Who first coined it?  What was the context?  Has its origins been traced, or are they merely obscure?  Does it have any derivation from native terminology?  Is it nautical?  Does it stem from colloquialisms?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

~
      September 12, 2019 5:46 AM MDT

I thought years that the line was "He just smiled and gave me a "bit of my sandwich"...."
    This site is the first time I heard of Vegimite...I always thought the line was weird. Now it makes sense.
      September 13, 2019 8:02 AM MDT