Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » If something "goes without saying", why do people still say it?

If something "goes without saying", why do people still say it?

Posted - September 12, 2019

Responses

i have wondered about that.
      September 13, 2019 3:08 PM MDT

There is nothing I don't know about "that" .....lol
      September 13, 2019 4:43 PM MDT

Goes.  You have to focus on goes.

If it happens, then the remark is made.  If you introduce people with Actually, it goes without saying, you are accounting for the many clueless that may not KNOW this, while trying not to insult them, or maybe force your TRUMPIAN opinion on them.  Trump's favorite lines are along those.  Everybody knows.... many people thinks so.... EVERYONE says.... etc etc.  when he is lying and no one thinks PUTIN is innocent and there is no collusion and he never met Stormy Daniels till he did, and he never knew Jeff Epstein when he did... etc.

Sorry.  babbling senselessly....

Anyway, it depends on the  "goes"part that allows for the remark.  For those that don't knows about the "goes" 
      September 13, 2019 3:28 PM MDT

Goes.  You have to focus on goes.

If it happens, then the remark is made.  If you introduce people with 'Actually, it goes without saying', you are accounting for the many clueless that may not KNOW this, while trying not to insult them, or maybe force one's  TRUMPIAN opinion on a hapless listener.  Trump's favorite lines are along those.  Everybody knows.... many people think so.... EVERYONE says.... etc etc.  when he is lying.  No one thinks PUTIN is innocent and there is no collusion and he never met Stormy Daniels till he did, and he never knew Jeff Epstein when he did... etc.

Sorry.  babbling senselessly....

Anyway, it depends on the  "goes"part that allows for the remark.  For those that don't knows about the "goes" This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 13, 2019 3:31 PM MDT
      September 13, 2019 3:28 PM MDT

Lost in transaction must have a lot to answer for than I think...:(
      September 13, 2019 4:30 PM MDT

I went without saying when I was little and my parents had to take me back and get me changed rather than get me replaced :)
      September 13, 2019 4:40 PM MDT

It is usually just a stressor, indicating what is to come is probably obvious with a little thought, but is an important point.

Over-used, it becomes a meaningless cliché of no more significance than any other speech place-holder, like "errr". Or worse, implying self-importance.  

"Stressor". Is there such a word? I've heard of Tensors, but they are Something Very Mathematical, I am no mathematician and anyway stress can be tension, but they are not opposites!

September 16, 2019 2:55 PM MDT