Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Family » Women & men, when you discovered you were going to become a parent were you happy, frightened, bewildered, angry, relieved, etc?

Women & men, when you discovered you were going to become a parent were you happy, frightened, bewildered, angry, relieved, etc?

Posted - September 13, 2019

Responses

• This question isn’t very nice, Cos it leaves out the non-parent people. I WANT A QUESTION TO ANSWER -_-
      September 13, 2019 5:21 PM MDT

I was 1/4  bewildered  because my wife's tubes were tied - 1/4 angry at the doctor for not putting in a double knot  - 1/4 frightened because the North American auto crises was going on with no end in sight and I had just gotten laid off from Fords - 1/4 happy because I knew it would all work out and I was in for a challenge to do it right. Cheers and  happy Friday the 13th!  
      September 13, 2019 5:22 PM MDT

Totally thrilled!
      September 13, 2019 5:26 PM MDT

Shocked!  I was on the pill.  TWICE this happened to me.
      September 13, 2019 7:43 PM MDT

I was NOT happy.  Let's leave it at that for now.  
      September 13, 2019 9:24 PM MDT

Yes. 
    ~
      September 13, 2019 10:00 PM MDT

Happy and frightened at the same time. I was nineteen and didn't think I was anywhere near being ready. And I knew my ultra-orthodox Catholic mother would hit the ceiling - which she did.
    We were married less than a week after my 20th birthday. When our daughter arrived, I grew up almost immediately. And the first time the baby was placed in mother's arms, my wife was transfigured - I was vouchsafed a glimpse of an angel.
      September 13, 2019 11:14 PM MDT

Most Catholic mothers are like that.  Docs parents hit the ceiling when we told them.  Pretty funny as they are now always over at our place
      September 14, 2019 6:18 PM MDT

We were excited and shocked.  We were told it might take a year if that, 6 weeks later she was preggers and we were ecstatic. 

Now when we found out we had a BOGO (twins) we were a bit shocked.  We are happy now and proudly raising a family.

My parents are dead, the Docs are not. The rigors of being Catholic directed some obvious jabs at us.  Now we have two omnipresent folks in our life who adore their Grandkids.  The downside we may not be doing things their style....  The generational conflicts always appear - funny anecdotes galore
      September 14, 2019 6:23 PM MDT