Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is Asthma a DISEASE or a CONDITION? Do YOU live with a disease/condition that could kill you if not treated when needed?

Is Asthma a DISEASE or a CONDITION? Do YOU live with a disease/condition that could kill you if not treated when needed?

Posted - September 15, 2019

Responses

Having had both knees replaced, thanks to arthritis...

I don't know if there is a genuine medical difference between a "disease" and  a "condition": both are parts of the body going wrong for some reason. It could be the word "disease" is used more for illnesses with directly external causes like bacteria, poisons or radiation; while a "condition" is something the body has gone and done all by itself.

Either way, I can assure you it was a disease to me! 
      September 15, 2019 3:13 PM MDT

Knees are like hardware and a heart or brain is the software. I guess hardware breaks down from a lot of use. Our neighbor had both knees replaced. She is a very heavy woman and I wonder whether being very heavy plays a part in it or has nothing to do with it? Her knees still hurt having developed arthritis but not as much and in a different way. That pain is tolerable. Doesn't everyone develop arthritis eventually? My mom fell and broke her hip and had that replaced. It took quite a long while for it to heal. I broke my ankle at the age of 3 and needed a cast put on. I remember my mom carting me in a wagon to the local movie theater on Saturdays when we lived in Detroit, Michigan. We'd go to the movies every Saturday. Isn't it funny what we remember? Is your quality of life better now than it was before the operations Durdle? Thank you for your thoughtful reply m'dear! Do knee replacements ever need replacing? I'm gonna ask.
      September 16, 2019 2:56 AM MDT

Sometimes it's both - it's always a condition, but it can be caused by a disease or be an inherited genetic condition. I'm not asthmatic but my daughter is. Not curable but manageable, she carries an inhaler on her at all times, as it can strike without warning.
    Hers is genetic, it's on both sides of the family. My grandmother died from an asthma-related illness, and Maureen's elder sister had to leave Sydney - the smog was killing her. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at September 16, 2019 3:13 AM MDT
      September 16, 2019 3:03 AM MDT

My condolences to her m'dear. It is a scary disease/condition. The triggers are  many and they can hit at any time without warning. If it's too cold or too hot or you're having a stressful day or you ingested something with an antagonistic ingredient or whatever. I don't think they can quantify Asthma triggers. Sometimes if the attack is severe enough the Asthmatic has to get to the Emergency Room of the nearest hospital. It's like a Sword of Damocles hanging by a thin thread over the head of the Asthmatic. It can drop at any time. But of course I don't have to tell you that.  Maybe if there were just ONE trigger it could be curable. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 16, 2019 3:26 AM MDT
      September 16, 2019 3:26 AM MDT

Oh, I'm very sorry about the incidence of asthma in your family. I hope one day they will find a cure for it.
      September 16, 2019 2:42 PM MDT

Thank you Durdle. My hope too. It's a nasty scary "condition".  How are your bionic knees doing for you? Pain-free or relatively so? Happy Wednesday to you m'dear! :)
      September 18, 2019 3:18 AM MDT