Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Music » Please tell me not Ric Ocasek?

Please tell me not Ric Ocasek?

:(

You've bettered my life, sir

Posted - September 15, 2019

Responses

Cars singer and I really like a lot of their songs. What is the not? Something happened to him?
      September 15, 2019 8:13 PM MDT

He was found dead in his apartment.
      September 15, 2019 8:15 PM MDT

I'm with you -- I like him and The Cars a lot, too.
      September 15, 2019 8:18 PM MDT

Oh, had not heard.  Sorry to hear that.  They were a great group and I have 3 albums and 2 CD's by them.
      September 15, 2019 8:18 PM MDT

Yeah, I just read it by chance just seconds before I posted the question. -- I guess he was found about 4:00om, New York City time.

Their 'Drive" song -- and music video -- floor me. (And I had no idea Ocasek and the female in the music video were married for 28 years. They met while filming the music video. She is EXCELLENT in that video for me. According to the article I read, she and Ocasek had separated in May of 2018. Paulina Porizkova.)

September 15, 2019 8:22 PM MDT

• This is a lovely cover version of the song "Drive" originally performed by The Cars.  This recording was made by one of my favorite female artists, Britta Phillips.  A solo artist and also one half of the duo Dean & Britta. 

September 15, 2019 8:25 PM MDT

I promise I'll listen - -unsure if i can at the moment- - still upset about the news.
    I got to the 13 seconds mark and started tearing up - - I can tell I'll like your song here- - thanks, Devil Dink -- I love that song. I've only heard The Cars version. But I liked this one already, just by the opening few seconds.
    :)
      September 15, 2019 8:29 PM MDT

• And it was just two days ago that Jon informed me Eddie Money died.  I know his old song "Take Me Home Tonight" performed with Ronnie Spector.  She's awesome.
      September 15, 2019 8:36 PM MDT

Yeah, that news threw me a bit, too. But not like Ocasek, I guess. I've always enjoyed The Cars so much. nothing against Money at all. 

I can't even place Spector in that song at the moment, shame on me. I can only hear money's voice at the moment in that song.
      September 15, 2019 8:40 PM MDT

I came through on my promise - - I just got done listening and watching.
    Britta sings the song well, yeah!

Interesting to see that, just like the original music video for "Drive" by The Cars, this video features a troubled woman.

Thanks for sharing this, Dink del Diablo!
      September 17, 2019 8:22 PM MDT

OMG.
    I have met Rick Ocasek and have been to several Cars concerts. The Cars were a big part of my youth. 
    This deeply saddens me .

Here are my two favorite all-time Cars songs, Moving in Stereo/All Mixed Up.
    In my world, these two may NEVER EVER be separated

This post was edited by Jon at September 15, 2019 8:47 PM MDT
      September 15, 2019 8:43 PM MDT

• This is the one I know so well by them...

September 15, 2019 8:46 PM MDT

I really like this one, too, Devil Dink. Always liked the music video, too.
      September 15, 2019 8:59 PM MDT

Yeah!!! That's a great one too!
    Surprise me raw that you would love this one. 
    I can just envision you working your "Magic" on stage to this song 
    Glitter and Greenbacks raining from heaven
      September 15, 2019 9:43 PM MDT

DAMN -- I am truly envious of your seeing them NUMEROUS times in concert! And you've met Ocasek! And the other guys, too, maybe? 
    Excellent

I love their music.

I'll listen for sure.

I'm saddened very much too.

(Of that same era-ish time - - Howard Jones I've met and seen in concert three times. Jones. Just saw him a couple of months ago.)

P.S. I've been listening to your post as I've been typing. I've got to listen to Devil Dink's, too.

Ha - - the other night I told you I was going to bed -- and I think I might hit the hay now, too  - great music here, thanks, Jon -- always liked it.
    Be Well --

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 16, 2019 8:26 PM MDT
      September 15, 2019 8:54 PM MDT

I saw them live twice in Chicago in the 70's.  SO GREAT.

He was wonderful.  Unique yet appealed to everyone that band.  

RIP Rick O.  
      September 15, 2019 11:16 PM MDT

Yes, all around.

You saw them, too?
    Excellent!

I'm envious, I admit.
      September 16, 2019 7:04 PM MDT