Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once upon a time in the long-ago of YESTERDAY did physicians actually tout the HEALTH BENEFITS of cigarettes? True or apocryphal?

Once upon a time in the long-ago of YESTERDAY did physicians actually tout the HEALTH BENEFITS of cigarettes? True or apocryphal?

And that once upon a time we were ASSURED that opiods were not addictive? True or faux. D'ya know?

Posted - September 16, 2019

Responses

I don't know if doctors themselves ever promoted cigs, but advertisers used to use "doctors" in their ads to sell them.

My first doctor smoked - right there in the office.
      September 16, 2019 8:37 AM MDT

It was the "macho" thing to do. My dad smoked 3 packs a day till his doc said to quit for his heart's sake. My dad died anyway at the age of 54 from a heart attack. Too soon old too late schmart! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      September 16, 2019 8:49 AM MDT

Yes.  

They did.  Do you REMEMBER the cigarette commercials?  They encouraged smoking because it is good for your digestion.  
    They had an excuse.  We did not know the dangers of cigarettes, knew people smoked throughout history and had not equated any cancer with tobacco use.

AND THEN?  All hell broke loose.  Now we have millions of people dead because of an addictive poison that they added more poison to, to ensure you get addicted to the poison.  

Nice.  
      September 16, 2019 9:48 AM MDT

Good for your DIGESTION? Stomach cancer? That's a good one. Thank you for your reply Sharon! :)
      September 17, 2019 3:44 AM MDT

September 16, 2019 1:18 PM MDT

OMG E! OMG! "protection against irritation against cough" but not against throat cancer which requires removal of the voice box and replacement by a button you push to speak which makes your "voice" sound as if it is coming from the bottom of a barrel. Thank you for your reply and the graphic. SIGH. Boy oh boy dumb wins again! Well ignorance anyway. :(
      September 17, 2019 3:46 AM MDT

• Dude they were so good for you that it was part of a national campaign

to indoctrinate the youth by marketing Candy Cigarettes to them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

September 16, 2019 1:35 PM MDT

Oh God!!!

I believe they still make these things.
    You can get 3/24 Count boxes from Amazon for only $9.34
    https://www.amazon.com/Candy-Cigarettes-24-Count-Boxes/dp/B003X3DMLK/ref=asc_df_B003X3DMLK/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589102072122&psc=1

I'm thinking of giving those out for Halloween along with  Small Wax Jack Daniel's bottles full of sugar juice and syringe Pens to make school and homework fun!

This post was edited by Jon at September 17, 2019 6:50 AM MDT
      September 16, 2019 6:32 PM MDT

• Oh Geez! 

Why not go all out and just give away edible Candy Condoms?

Every one should practice safe snacking. 

In the meantime get ready to wear an ankle-monitor.

September 16, 2019 7:11 PM MDT

THE KIDS ARE GONNA F*C*ING LOVE THOSE!!!

Wow!  I would definitely pair those with the Tampax Pearl Radiant Tampons in the H-E-B Chocolate Candy Stand-up bag
    This post was edited by Jon at September 17, 2019 6:51 AM MDT
      September 16, 2019 8:15 PM MDT

• I'm sorry.  I fail to understand the GIF you posted. 

I always considered myself to BE the candy machine in the boys room.
      September 17, 2019 7:54 AM MDT

Yes, Dear, I know. We ALL know  
    This post was edited by Jon at September 17, 2019 8:00 AM MDT
      September 17, 2019 7:57 AM MDT

i HAD THOSE I LOVED THEM.
      September 17, 2019 7:53 AM MDT

OMG I REMEMBER candy cigarettes. Sheesh. Thank you for your reply and the graphic and Happy Tuesday to thee triple D! :)
      September 17, 2019 3:47 AM MDT

Sir Walter Raleighin first introduced tobacco in in England in 1586  ...it was then a legal requirement for the upper class toff twits children in Westminster exclusive school to take the Vapours and we're all forced to smoke .....Obviously the government made a fortune from it in taxes..they are no fools where making money for their own pockets are concerned...:( 
      September 16, 2019 3:30 PM MDT

So smoking has existed for hundreds of years. I cannot imagine the rationale that was involved in thinking that inhaling the smoke of processed burning leaves would be beneficial to a body. Thank you for your reply D! :)
      September 17, 2019 4:07 AM MDT

Ignorance at first ,then led by greed of a few business men and then taken over by governments and in England's case Royality Rosie....
    Crystal Meth was give to all serving American ,English ,Austrailan ,Canadian ,Army Seamen and Airmen Rosie....
    Strangely it's legal for government to dish out very addictive drugs...but not so for individual  Entreprenners ...:(
      September 18, 2019 1:08 PM MDT

Yes! Yes! Yes! It is true Rosy! Every word of it. 
    They must have been on to something because even the Flinstones found tobacco products lucrative to hawk.

Winston tastes good like a... cigarette should!

September 16, 2019 6:38 PM MDT

Just take it a face value m'dear. You process leaves, set them on fire and then inhale the smoke. What kind of reasoning would go into thinking that could be BENEFICIAL to the inhaler? I tried smoking once when I was 10. I inhaled. It BURNED LIKE HE** and I got nauseated very quickly and almost barfed. That cured me. That any sane person would find that enjoyable to this day shocks me. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thy HJ! :)
      September 17, 2019 4:09 AM MDT

THose cancer merchants devoted a lot of time trying to get people addicted to nicotine products.  Now that Cigarette smoking has come out of fashion,  they have entered the eCigarette forum through umbrella companies and through private subsidies. It's all a win-win for them.

Meanwhile, Marijuana is still illegal, while Alcohol, tobacco, vaping products, Opioids are still available for consumption.

September 17, 2019 7:49 AM MDT

True as regards coffin nails. Not quite so true with regard to opioids, the addictive nature of the poppy has been known since medieval times, either inhaled as burning opium or drank as laudanum.
    Heroin was once marketed as being LESS addictive than morphine - but it was still known to have hooks.
      September 16, 2019 8:26 PM MDT

I guess heroine and cocaine make you FEEL GOOD or people wouldn't indulge. Besides taking the pain away do OPIODS make the takers FEEL GOOD? Do they really take away the pain or cover it up by making folks FEEL REEL/REAL GOOD? Once upon a time long ago I was hooked on amphetamines. I was always dieting and I took some diet pills that REALLY WORKED. Prescribed by my doctor. They gave me oodles of ENERGY and cut my appetite but I didn't think anything of it. After I'd lost the weight my doc said he wouldn't renew them any more and I made the mistake of telling him how much energy I had..so much that after a day's work I could come home and CLEAN HOUSE for hours and not stop to eat. At the time I didn't think that was strange and dangerous. He stopped prescribing and I crashed and it took a good two weeks to feel "normal". It was so scary. I hate taking pills of any kind because I don't trust what they will do. I was a DIET PILL ADDICT and didn't know it until it was too late. Crashing is miserable. I do not recommend it to anyone. Thank you for your reply R and Happy Tuesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 17, 2019 6:52 AM MDT
      September 17, 2019 4:16 AM MDT

I was addicted to opioids, prescribed because the pain from the collpased disc in my spine was so bad that nothimg less had any effect. The methadone didn't get rid of the pain but lessened it sufficiently for me to be able to function. My doctor went on holiday, I ran out and couldn't get another doctor to prescribe them - I didn't sleep for a week and by the end of it I was hallucinating.
    After the op took most of the pain away, I was able to get off them - but withdrawal was hell. I didn't actually care, the pain had been worse.
      September 17, 2019 4:36 AM MDT

i am now taking oxycontin for pain following a shoulder surgery. i am limiting myself to 2 per day. they only marginally work. after hearing you plight i was not going to undergo what you went. the doc said i have an unusual tolerance for pain which he has not seen.
      September 18, 2019 8:57 AM MDT