Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What do you NEED TO HAVE DONE by a SMART Phone that's worth paying $2000 for one?

What do you NEED TO HAVE DONE by a SMART Phone that's worth paying $2000 for one?

Posted - September 20, 2019

Responses

I guess if I were a world traveler and it could guarantee communications from anywhere, it would be worth it in case of an emergency.
      September 20, 2019 8:30 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Walt. I'm not even a domestic traveler.
      September 20, 2019 9:01 AM MDT

True story ... the loggers locally were upset when the cell towers were upgraded to 2G years ago.
    Why?  Because most of them were still using the old Motorola "brick" phones.
    Due to the "brick" phones higher power, they could actually make/receive calls from the job sites in the woods.  Can't with the newer, smaller phones.
      September 20, 2019 9:50 AM MDT

So "newer smaller" is not ALWAYS better? Isn't that a nifty thing to know? Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy Saturday to ya! :)
      September 21, 2019 8:16 AM MDT

• I was gonna break down and buy one until I read this question and saw the latest price tag. No, at that price there's nothing it can do that would justify the purchase. Of course, the Smithsonian wants my flip top to add to their "Pioneers of Communication" exhibit. Then I might replace it.
      September 20, 2019 9:14 AM MDT

A friend told me about a $1500 phone and then another friend upped it to to $2000! Honest SC it's a good thing I was sitting down. It would have knocked me down! Now there is very big bucks in finding a collector who would pay whatever you asked for your "priceless antique". I wonder if these expensive phones break down more often than the less expensive and what replacement parts and labor cost? Thank you for your reply SC! :)
      September 21, 2019 8:20 AM MDT

my flip phone is many years old with the original battery.
      September 21, 2019 8:22 AM MDT

So maybe you're sitting on a fortune E? Original battery? What is the normal life of a battery? Thank you for your reply. So are ya gonna check it out?
      September 21, 2019 9:00 AM MDT

There is no 'normal' life of a battery. I use the phone rarely so it should last indefinitely.
      September 21, 2019 12:42 PM MDT

If it could load, turn on, and unload a dishwasher into the appropriate cabinets and drawers, I would definitely consider it.
      September 20, 2019 10:26 AM MDT

OM gosh tom. That's too funnee! I feel your pain as the dishwasher is currently running as I post this though for me the bane of my existence is DUSTING! A thankless job! It doesn't last two minutes. Whomever invented dusting did a great disservice to human kind. I'd rather scrub a toilet than dust!. At least that stays  CLEAN for more than two minits! You turn your back for one instant moment and you see dust again! I dunno if anyone else feels about dust as I do. Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 21, 2019 8:24 AM MDT

Classes.  It needs to come with a tutor that shows up until I figure out how to OPERATE it.  
      September 20, 2019 10:27 AM MDT

just give it to a twelve year old girl to show you how.
      September 21, 2019 8:23 AM MDT

So it isn't easy peasy to figger out then? Just like those dam* smart TV's! Sheesh. Or programming your remote. Double sheesh! A pox on their houses! Thank you for your reply Sharon. It's encouraging to know that 60 somethings have problems with that. We 80 somethings are really ticked! Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 21, 2019 8:26 AM MDT

Nothing.
      September 21, 2019 7:49 AM MDT

Me too neither E. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      September 21, 2019 8:27 AM MDT

Almost anything you "need to have done" by your computer....you can do on your phone.   The more expensive ones have better and more cameras, better processors, better speakers, larger storage.....just like a computer does.   It all comes down to what you want to use your phone for.  If just talk and text....you do not need anything other than  a flip phone.  If you want to use apps (games, internet, online banking etc) then you need a smart phone....

My husband just moved up to a smart phone.  He has had a flip for years.  But the new flip phones do not last like the old ones did and the cameras are crappy.  But again all he is gonna do is talk, text and take picts. So he just needs a cheap entry level smart phone. (can get on sale for under $50 all day)
      September 21, 2019 8:35 AM MDT

Ya know m2c all I ever want from anything is to do what I want it to do. What I NEED it to do. What I EXPECT it to do. When I want it to do it. If it does a bazillion other more exotic things that I don't want can't use it makes no sense to have it. Some folks WANT all the possible tricks and if they CAN USE ALL OF THEM fine and dandy. But HAVING just to have and not use has never made any sense to me. I spend a certain amount of time on my computer every day. Desk top. Old school. Keyboard. When I shut it down I have NO INTEREST in anything associated with it until the next day when I'm ready to get online. I do not wish to be connected to anything 24/7. Now if it pertains to work that is a different matter. Thank you for your very informative reply. I appreciate it! :)
      September 21, 2019 9:06 AM MDT

phones these days do everything a laptop can do so it makes sense they cost just as much. there is no phone though that costs that much except for the Samsung Galaxy Fold but i dont think that has even been released yet. i think the most expensive on the market right now is the Samsung note 10. still so, it doesn't cost as much as a decent laptop, but can do just as much (maybe even more?) on a smaller, portable screen. 
      September 21, 2019 12:48 PM MDT