Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you believe God will work in you to will and do his good pleasure if you ask him too?

Do you believe God will work in you to will and do his good pleasure if you ask him too?

Posted - September 25, 2019

Responses

I believe people have flown planes into buildings with that very thought on their minds.
    I know for a fact that others have exterminated entire cultures with that idea in mind.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 26, 2019 4:02 PM MDT
      September 25, 2019 4:30 AM MDT

You are exactly right.
    The key here is "with that thought on their minds"
    Unfortunately these people have not known God
    they are stuck in a rut within their mind.
    Separating themselves from The essence of their being
    they are only seeing the trappings of a confused 
    Ego directing their Mind to these actions
    and thoughts. Thoughts do not open the door
    to Enlightenment. Thoughts do not reveal the deep truth within ourselves.
    ...and until one can step outside of the mind, and get beyond thought,
    beyond the ego, one will never ever walk with God, nor have
    a pure understanding of doing God's will.
    Cheers

September 25, 2019 8:05 AM MDT

It is clear your interpretation goes much deeper than such people as I describe ever bother to. Or are capable of. 
    More evil and human suffering has been wrought “in the name of” this or that god than any other cause we could name. So much of it by people who don’t adequately understand what it is their Faith really teaches, only that they are fatally closed off to any thinking other than the version they’ve latched onto.  
      September 25, 2019 12:58 PM MDT

No arguing with that.

Having choices only assures that people will do what they have judged to be "good."  Unfortunately, lack of knowledge and familiarity with the appropriate principles of what is generally agreed to be good for humanity in general allows people to fly planes into buildings and elect people like Trump as president.

From a theological perspective, theoretically a human is unable to do evil unless he is mistaking that evil for a good---but consequent ignorance is hardly a mitigating factor in his actions. This post was edited by tom jackson at September 26, 2019 2:40 PM MDT
      September 25, 2019 3:20 PM MDT

It still amazes me, Tom, that avowed people “of faith”, self-claiming “Good Christians“ can rationalize how they continue to support and excuse the antics and hubris of such a morally bankrupt, dishonest con man as Trump. 
    Not a good look.

What’s the payoff? Why promote the lead of one so far off the path of “our faith”?  Mere ignorance is losing its heft in this argument; we are bearing witness to the realm of willful denial or outright delusion. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 26, 2019 2:40 PM MDT
      September 25, 2019 3:38 PM MDT

I agree, Don---I'll be 74 next month and I remember how the Mafia seemed to be all Catholics when I was a kid.

Pope Francis finally excommunicated Italian Mafia members 5 years ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/06/21/world/pope-mafia-excommunication/index.html

September 25, 2019 3:45 PM MDT

Religious adherence (or at least the appearance of it) was important to the mob, to preserve traditional connections to their families and communities. 
    None of that applies to Trump. The only affiliations that matter to this would-be mob boss are fealty and praise; at any cost, despite whatever indignity. 

Where is the moral outrage? 
    Scratch that, we’re approaching my atheist Red Line. Lol

This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 26, 2019 3:59 PM MDT
      September 25, 2019 3:59 PM MDT

The Godfather occasionally is available on cable.  I usually tape it to watch various scenes that I think are classic.

The juxtaposition of the baptism and the assassinations of Michael's rivals is fascinating to me.

Edit---deleted a random letter. This post was edited by tom jackson at September 26, 2019 4:43 PM MDT
      September 26, 2019 4:01 PM MDT

It's interesting that in The Screwtape Letters, in dialogue between St Michael and Satan in the preface / prologue (somewhere) it is noted that God only managed to save 6 souls from the last world that He and Satan vied for.
      September 26, 2019 4:05 PM MDT

Unless I have forgotten my NT, one has to WANT to be saved. 

Perhaps ye olde heavenly sales pitch was less compelling than it could’ve been. 
    Lol. 

September 26, 2019 4:58 PM MDT

If there is even a small glowing of a possible desire to come to know God, CS Lewis suggests that even that can be made the basis for a flame.

Which is not to say that God will do so immediately.  The God that I think exists would see value in both theists and atheists and will approach each in His own time.

Whether I am right or wrong about the existence of God, in the meantime, both you and I must honor the conclusions that each of us have formulated with honesty about the nature of reality.

Regards....
      September 27, 2019 2:30 PM MDT

There remains part of me that hopes you
    are right, Tom. Eternal being is intriguing.  
    That said, you well know I’m not one to build my worldview on hope. 
    Regards. Thanks for your indulgence. 
      September 27, 2019 3:29 PM MDT

Are you trying to flirt with me? ;D
      September 26, 2019 7:06 AM MDT

Um, no. 
      September 26, 2019 2:29 PM MDT

Not to mention they are more than likely stuffed filled with demons. It just comes with the territory of people that chose to not know God.
      September 26, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

You don't just ask God.. you have to inspire him to respond.  How would you do that?
      September 25, 2019 2:16 PM MDT

If any preconditions are required by God to respond to prayer, He'll let the individual know.  Generally speaking, I have found no such preconditions.

But let's agree that the answers to prayer are yes, no, maybe (because of the time factor), and "you've got to be kidding."
      September 25, 2019 3:23 PM MDT

Preconditions for the person to inspire God to respond would be to demonstrate willingness,  willingness to sacrifice and to learn..
      September 25, 2019 4:31 PM MDT

God cannot be manipulated in any way---including by our attitude.

Everything He grants us is "GIFT."
      September 26, 2019 4:07 PM MDT

That is a given for those who live in Faith.

Glad to see you, sister. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 1, 2019 6:11 AM MDT
      September 25, 2019 3:35 PM MDT

That's right. I do.

That GOOD WILL of GOD's DOES NOT include the GOOD WILL OF THE BASE.  God thinks the BASE is out to lunch for life.  You are in luck.  God is all-forgiving.  
      September 25, 2019 3:48 PM MDT

Short answer. Why would I want to?
      September 26, 2019 2:41 PM MDT