Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Names » Do you know of some interesting nicknames some people have acquired and how they earned them?

Do you know of some interesting nicknames some people have acquired and how they earned them?

I knew a guy nicknamed 'Cannon ball' because he managed to steal a cannon ball from a memorial site.

Posted - October 1, 2019

Responses

My god, such a hard question to answer....I don't think I know anyone with a nick name    :( 
      October 1, 2019 2:24 AM MDT

You're good at nick names, can you think of one for me?  Something sexy, but not vulgar, like yours.
      October 1, 2019 10:16 PM MDT

The MailMan or En'vlope springs to mind....Letters know if you like them or not and I'll Post some more if you don't....
    Ewer.  :(   Just cuz I like the Mugs on here ,don't mean my handles vulgar....  Please stop  being a'vase'sive and tell me why you don't  like it really...:( This post was edited by Nice Jugs at October 3, 2019 2:03 AM MDT
      October 2, 2019 1:15 AM MDT

"why you done like it really"   Really?  Not Like "Nice Jugs?"  I love jugs and NICE ones are even better.  Your nick name makes me feel good all over.
      October 2, 2019 8:50 PM MDT

And so it should....lol
      October 3, 2019 1:44 AM MDT

Self and siblings, from top: Yasir, Nov, Puffer, Libbert, Wheeze, Waah and Bise.
    Me: just as very big men get called "Shorty" or "Tiny", my very lean frame earned me the sobriquet "Fat". Stretch to Arafat, hence Yasir.
    Bro 1: I'm not quite sure why his best friend "Budge" decided my brother was a novice, or at what, but it stuck.
    Bro 2: Couldn't pronounce "Christopher" properly, it came out as "Chrispuffer".
    Bro 3: Same deal with "Philip".
    Sister: She's not asthmatic, it's a childish contraction of Louise.
    Bro 4: When he was born, the doctor slapped his little a$$ to make him cry and he NEVER STOPPED. A real complainer.
    Bro 5: Michael got Mickey, then Mouse, then Moose - which my brothers ran with. Caribou, Elk, Reindeer, Bison, Buffalo, Antelope, Gazelle... Bison was the one that stuck, so he's Bise.
      October 1, 2019 2:30 AM MDT

Cool family!(?)
      October 2, 2019 8:52 PM MDT

Well, as a kid, I 'invented' the nickname 'Chewden'. There was me, BH 'Chewden' Wilson. There was my cousin, M.B. 'Chewden' Wilson. Our buddies; Jimmy 'Chewden' Gangwer, and David 'Chewden' Graham. 
      October 1, 2019 10:04 AM MDT

I know a John nick-named 'Hatstand' - I think by his work-mates, but I don't know why.

A former work-mate of mine was "Diesel Diment" - the latter his real surname, the former referring to his car, when diesel-engined saloon-cars were still quite rare.

Another whose name was P. Darke naturally became "Poldark" at the time of the TV serial of that title. In the same engineering workshop, I became "Metal Mickey". That puzzled me because my real name is not Michael, so I asked why. It transpired it matched my role, issuing metal blanks for machining, and the eponymous robot in a contemporary children's TV cartoon series.  

+

The strangest I have heard was 'Drasher'.

I have not the foggiest idea why, but it was allegedly coined by the man's fellow cricket-club members when he was an active player in his younger days.

Strange moniker, but that strangeness alone was rather fitting.

Those of us who knew him as I did, in the 1960s, dared not call him Drasher to his face, let alone ask him what it meant. He was Mr. Hill or Sir to us, for he was our rather formidably bombastic Mathematics teacher who suffered no fools gladly - with a wide definition of "fool" but usually meaning anyone who found Maths difficult.  "Maths is easy! It's YOU who make the difficulties!" he'd yell to the class when something easy like Calculus,  an irregular-triangle's Trigonometry or a Proof in Euclidean Geometry evidently baffled many of us.

There is a story that appeared in a local-history feature in our local paper a year or so ago, that the teenaged Hill was an England team-member in an international youth-athletics event in London, c.1937. The German team was accompanied by Herr Hitler no less, no doubt anxious to show the cream of German youth athleticism. He didn't expect to have his toe stepped on by young Hill, when introduced to the home team.

Accident or not, when I read that half a century after making maths difficult, I thought, "That's my Drasher!" 
      October 1, 2019 5:19 PM MDT