Active Now

Element 99
Thebigd
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Is there a way to kill black widow spiders without killing geckos?

Is there a way to kill black widow spiders without killing geckos?

I have a healthy population of geckos and skinks in my yard and I like having them around. However, I've found a few black widows and I need to eradicate them. Is there a way I can kill them without harming the geckos and skinks? 

I felt like I'd asked this question before, but it turns out I asked whether my geckos would take care of brown recluse spiders. They did. I haven't seen one in years. However, they aren't eating the widows. :/ 

Posted - October 3, 2019

Responses

I don't think there is anything that only kills black widows. 

I spray the inside of my house twice a year with Ortho Home Defense Max and it keeps everything away except geckos.  I live in South Florida and people here just accept geckos are going to be in and around the house.  I've never found a dead one. 

I do also spray around the windows and doors outside on the first floor.  The HOA also sprays the outside but I have no idea what or why...........those guys look like they are drugged out and I don't talk to them. 

I have read that if you have a spider problem to be sure to not have piles of laundry or "stuff" in the house.  I guess the spiders find safe havens there.  I've lived down here over five years and I still shake every piece of clothing before I put it on.  ;) This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 4, 2019 1:17 PM MDT
      October 3, 2019 10:57 PM MDT

In England we had no poionous spiders until about ten years ago, now ships or people's luggage has brought back to England something called a False Widow spider.....it has a white circle on its back and can be fatal....if it bites your finger ,it goes black and swells ,at present its colonizing southen England and is on the outskirts of certain areas London now....:( 
      October 4, 2019 2:03 AM MDT

Mine are just outside- they seem to be attracted to one wall and build their webs between the wall and my patio furniture. Thankfully, they're not inside, and I'd like to keep it that way. I will be shaking out my clothes from now on too. lol Thanks. 
      October 4, 2019 8:46 AM MDT

I could stop by your place and conduct a pay-down search on your every time you’re about to get dressed. Oh, wait.  It’s the clothing that needs to be checked out, not your body, right?  Ok, ok, never mind. 

((It’s probably just as well: My next suggestion naturally evolves into cavity searches.))

~
      October 4, 2019 10:56 PM MDT

If you have one of those hand held vacuum cleaner units, or a wet/dry vac, the spiders can be vacuumed out without spraying toxic poisons all around. 
    It might also be useful to remove whatever desirable surroundings the black widows are drawn to, if that is possible. 
      October 4, 2019 4:35 AM MDT

They like clutter, piles of stuff, and an unbothered environment.  Everything I've read say to keep your house neat and tidy. That isn't proactive enough for me.  I spray with an Ortho product.   I've seen a lot of spiders here in Florida with the great big wolf being the most scary.  Back home, though, we had brown recluse in a big way and always had an eye out for them.  A bite from one of those guys is bad news. 
      October 4, 2019 5:36 AM MDT

I’m all about the neat and tidy as well. Not a big fan of poison sprays, though, where I can avoid them. I have found the widows in our wood pile, the old wet/dry vac is very handy in removing them. 
      October 4, 2019 5:59 AM MDT

The wolf spiders are harmless and kill numerous harmful insects.
      October 4, 2019 1:20 PM MDT

But then I have to empty the vacuum out. D: 

I have what's colloquially known as an 'Arizona Room.' It's basically a screened-in patio or four seasons room. I think the widows have taken up residence inside one of the walls of it because I only see them in front of it. I actually caved and sprayed the wall down when I found the first widow a few weeks back. I think I may actually have to tear open the wall to get to them since spraying it down didn't work. *shudders*
      October 4, 2019 8:56 AM MDT

Why do you “need” to kill the black widow spiders?

October 4, 2019 8:23 AM MDT

Because it's very hard to make them dead without killing them, silly. 
      October 4, 2019 8:56 AM MDT

Anti-spidite. Grrrrrrrr. 

October 4, 2019 10:29 PM MDT

If you are bitten by one you will have your answer.
      October 4, 2019 1:21 PM MDT

Anti-spidite. Grrrrrrrr. 

October 4, 2019 10:30 PM MDT

Or you could ask NJ to lend you a shoe.
      October 4, 2019 10:42 PM MDT

black widows... my god, im happy we dont have that here where i live. 

those spiders can almost kill a human i think ?
      October 11, 2019 9:40 PM MDT

We have worse ones in Australia. Yes, a bite can be nasty but is rarely fatal due to the fact that an effective anti-venom has been available for more than thirty years.
      October 12, 2019 4:18 AM MDT

Try DiatomacousEarth.com

Kills spiders...but not lizards. 
      October 12, 2019 3:26 PM MDT