Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What advantages do single parents and/or their kids have over two-parent households?

What advantages do single parents and/or their kids have over two-parent households?

Everyone always talks about the disadvantages single-parent households face. There must be advantages too. 

Posted - October 7, 2019

Responses

Actually ... no, there doesn't have to be any advantages.
    All research I have read shows there are only disadvantages.
    (disregarding "outliers" such as abusive parents)

October 7, 2019 1:46 PM MDT

Get out of the library and into the real world.  I would rather be raised by ONE Just Asking than Two of me.  Some people are born to be responsible.  Some are not.  And if there are two? That kid is in for a world of hurt.

I'm not serious about me being that horrible of a parent, but I had the maturity of a 12 year old for my 20's.  I was let out of a cage or something.  You make sense, but reality isn't always that cut and dried.
      October 8, 2019 12:49 AM MDT

EVERY advantage that could be claimed for a single-parent household, would be there for a double-parent household.

EG: You can't compare an abusive double-parent situation vs a non-abusive single-parent, and claim the single-parent is an advantage.

If you're going to look at a supportive single-parent home - you have to compare it to a supportive double-parent home.

Thus, a home with 2 parents will generally always be more advantageous.
      October 8, 2019 8:11 AM MDT

• Better house parties.
      October 7, 2019 2:13 PM MDT

Children can not play devide and conquer to get their way....

October 7, 2019 2:56 PM MDT

Can’t think of one. 
      October 7, 2019 5:46 PM MDT

It's better to  come from a broken home than to live in one.
      October 7, 2019 6:06 PM MDT

Fourty percent of American births are to unwed mothers.  I don't disagree with your comment though.  
      October 8, 2019 6:11 PM MDT

I don't think there are any general/universal advantages.  That's not to say that kids who were in a home with drug addicts and criminals, or were abused and beaten by a parent are not better off outside of that parent's care.

There are no winners in a divorce, however, the children are always losers.  Like anything else, there are exceptions.  

Children who are born to women who aren't married did not have what they deserved from the get go.  

October 7, 2019 7:00 PM MDT

• Only one adult to sober up and get off to work on time.
      October 7, 2019 7:13 PM MDT

The upside can also be the downside.  The single parent has no one to cause conflict regarding decisions single parent feels is the right and only choice.  There are choices that are hard to compromise on.  So that situation  is no longer of any concern.

That can be a breath of fresh air compared to living in a stifling situation where one's partner is a martinet.  It's nice to make your own rules and it can be nice for the child if the parent is reasonable and rational.  If not?  The child is in for hell.

So a single parent situation can be delightful if the parent and child are on the same page as a rule.

It is far better to have two people on the same page if the child is a dream kid or one that is more difficult to manage, it is so nice to have support.

BUT?  I would rather raise 10 kids myself than have to put up with any bully or abusive element that I have to deal with just to get my kids raised.  NOOOOO. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 8, 2019 4:10 PM MDT
      October 8, 2019 12:43 AM MDT

Consistent parental messages on every issue.

My oldest son and daughter were raised by a single parent (me) and a series of nannies.  I really did not see any serious disadvantages except to my dating and sex life.  Their mother was and is a workaholic who kids were just a check mark on the career ladder.  To me they were and are much more.
      October 8, 2019 6:23 AM MDT