Active Now

Thebigd
Element 99
Spunky
Swoop62
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Americans, are you jealous that we have Thanksgiving this weekend, or do you like having Thanksgiving all smooshed up next to Christmas?

Americans, are you jealous that we have Thanksgiving this weekend, or do you like having Thanksgiving all smooshed up next to Christmas?

Posted - October 8, 2019

Responses

Let’s get this straight: We call it the HOLIDAY SEASON.

Not two holidays “smushed” together, but up to six weeks of festivities and holiday observances. 
      October 8, 2019 8:28 PM MDT

• it’s smooshed. Sorry you can’t see that. 
      October 8, 2019 8:32 PM MDT

You’d have to live it to appreciate it. 
      October 8, 2019 8:39 PM MDT

• I guess so :) I’m not saying it’s bad, I just like that it’s spread out here. We only get the Monday off for Thanksgiving though . I know you guys get like half a week. I’m jealous that:/ 
      October 8, 2019 8:41 PM MDT

Nah. We had turkey about a week ago. 
      October 8, 2019 8:14 PM MDT

• That’s illegal, Turkey is only for thanksgiving and Christmas. 
      October 8, 2019 8:32 PM MDT

We have turkey about every 3 months. 
      October 8, 2019 8:33 PM MDT

• Do you still have it for holidays then?
      October 8, 2019 8:34 PM MDT

We have turkey and ham for holidays. 
      October 8, 2019 8:46 PM MDT

Oh, I see, Jaimie, you’re some kind of cop all of a sudden, is that it?

~
      October 8, 2019 8:58 PM MDT

• I hate that cop outfit. 
      October 9, 2019 5:17 AM MDT

Jaimie you would be a nervous wreck in Austria.  Die Pute is a common protein source here.  It is not served North American Style per se.  It is found in a lot of Schitzel and Kapbob meat offerings.  Turkey is easier to produce than Chickens so if the Kapob is labeled Chicken/Huhner it is about 40% Turkey.  The list is long and varied and the Islamic commuinities love it because it is cheap and an alternative to pork which they cannot eat
      October 9, 2019 5:35 AM MDT

As a longtime resident of the tropics, there is literally nothing about Canada I am jealous of. Not. One. Thing. 

Are you jealous that the only snow we get down here has colored flavoring in it? The only ice we ever deal with is in our drinks? 
    I’m thinking the sun is going down pretty early nowadays in Canada....
    and it probably doesn’t look like this.
      October 8, 2019 8:17 PM MDT

• Some reason I thought you lived in Florida? Lol, guess not. I have been to Siesta key in Florida many times Cos family had a condo there. It’s on the golf cost so that’s kinda tropical :) I take it you don’t ski or skate. I’ll keep my four seasons and  you keep your sun and smooshed up thanksgiving.  ;)

October 8, 2019 8:31 PM MDT

I do live in Florida, have for over 20 years.
    Skiing and skating are icky winter sports, and I’d rather choke down a bowl of lima beans than be caught dead on a cold, snowy mountain with flat boards on my feet. 
      October 8, 2019 8:36 PM MDT

• I think you’re safe over there from any snow sports, you’ll be okay....
      October 8, 2019 8:39 PM MDT

Oh I’m counting on it. :)
      October 8, 2019 8:43 PM MDT

• :)
      October 9, 2019 5:17 AM MDT

You and I probably have to break up because it appears I’ve been making you American by injection. It’s as if you can’t make up your mind which side you represent. 

~
      October 8, 2019 11:13 PM MDT

• Ummmm no, it’s illegal to break up with me.

October 9, 2019 5:18 AM MDT

I want to see you in your RCMP uniform. You know what that one does to me. (Cough, cough.)

~
      October 9, 2019 6:20 AM MDT

• Eat your heart out. 
      October 10, 2019 5:23 AM MDT

I love you more right now than I have at any other time in our relationship, and slightly more than I love all of the other 100 or so women in my harem. (Well, at least it’s something, right?)

~
      October 10, 2019 6:45 AM MDT

• It‘s the hat, isn’t it? Or the gloves? Or the high waisted belt?? 
      October 10, 2019 6:38 PM MDT

Jamie, Jamie they are not smooshed together.  I think the date for Thanksgiving was a way for US America to experience the Feast of St. Martin.  Feast of St. Martin and St. Stephans Tag is celebrated here in Central and Eastern Europe and parts of Northern France. Remember at the time of enactment the majority immigrant population in the US was German and Central European.

In short the Feast of St. Martin  is the starts the 11 day countdown to Wienachts.  The 11 days are known as MartiniGansl; essentially Roast Goose, Red Cabbage, and seasoned potatoes are consumed.  The 11 days are at the end of November.  Wienachts is the beginning of the Christmas season which ends in Sylvestor - New Years Day.  St. Stephans day is actually the 26 of December and a feast day after the fasting days of Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Fasting in the old days minimal food and no sex - then debauchery

Now the back story.  St Martin wanted to marry and not become the Bishop.  He hid in a barn as the community was searching for him.  The Geese gave him away, so he ordered an annual Gansl Fest to precede Wienachts.  This was to get even with the geese who gave him away and took him from his love.  He

We always look forward to Gansl Fest and the Wienachts period.  Thank god we no longer treat Christmas Eve and Christmas day as fasting days

Image result for martinigansl This post was edited by Archerchef at October 10, 2019 5:23 AM MDT
      October 9, 2019 5:57 AM MDT