Discussion » Questions » Electronics » What’s the most useless feature or gadget on your newest smartphone? ~

What’s the most useless feature or gadget on your newest smartphone? ~

Posted - October 9, 2019

Responses

No tengo un telefono inteligente.
      October 9, 2019 7:48 AM MDT

• Besides 90% of the pre-loaded apps?

I think its probably this telephone thing. Like really - Who talks to people??
      October 9, 2019 8:10 AM MDT

The so-called "smart" 'phone I owned for a few months was so difficult to use I had to search the Internet for instructions that might tell me something useful. They did - but also regarded the telephone part of it almost as an accessory rather than primary role! 
      October 10, 2019 4:47 PM MDT

Amen to that statement!  I don't use any of them.  I really don't like the iTune thing I have to have.
    I've never used it and have no desire to.
    Once, I had a scammer try and tell me I received my student grant money.
    I haven't applied for a grant since way back when.  It was so long ago, I almost thought maybe I had and could use the money to help my mom.
    I was seconds from saying yes when the next instructions were to go to my iTunes account.  I didn't have one.
    Yes.  All those silly little things you MUST HAVE.  I don't like it one bit. 
      October 10, 2019 7:32 PM MDT

Errrrr... Other people?

Anyway, it is alleged that the instrument is meant to be a Telephone (The clue is in the name! :-).

"pre-loaded "apps" ". Can you remove them or are they locked in place?
      October 12, 2019 1:10 PM MDT

• Maybe we should all spend more time talking to ourselves .

Most new phones come overloaded with apps, but probably 75% can be deleted without hurting your phone.
      October 12, 2019 11:04 PM MDT

I never answer myself.
      October 13, 2019 3:37 PM MDT

• The strong silent type 
      October 13, 2019 3:43 PM MDT

I don't know how many were already on mine when new, but it kept displaying messages about "New 'apps' ready for down-loading now".

As they did not tell me what they were, I ignored the messages. I do not accept unsolicited software of unknown type and purpose; be it by portable telephone or broadband.

Within months after buying what was my first and had become my last so-called "smart" 'phone, I took it out of service and eventually managed to sell it.
      October 14, 2019 3:17 PM MDT

• Gesturing 
      October 9, 2019 1:01 PM MDT

What?  
    I'm baffled.  A phone cannot gesture.....
    Can it????
      October 10, 2019 7:23 PM MDT

• No, its what is called when certain motions done the screen have special functions or keyboard equivalents 
      October 11, 2019 3:24 PM MDT

I would have never known.  I'm sorry.  I haven't taken the time to learn all the amazing things my phone can do for me. 
    I, literally, pictured my phone having legs pop out of its base, and arms with hands, flaring out of the push buttons on both sides.
    Taking his (not her) newly grown extremedites, pointing his finger and stomping his foot.
    "MERLIN!!!  I told you to take a left at the next light, NOT on Broadway!!"
    It was a scary sight.  
    I'm relieved to know it is simply something I don't understand, technically and not something I understand, physically.  

October 13, 2019 12:30 PM MDT

I picture YOU doing much more amazing things than an iphone can.
      October 13, 2019 3:39 PM MDT

On that note, you are my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :) :):) :)
      October 13, 2019 5:42 PM MDT

Selfie Mode.
      October 9, 2019 1:13 PM MDT

October 9, 2019 11:20 PM MDT

Unlike the the rest of the Luddites on here, I love my smartphone.  I can't think of any features that are useless. Bixby is useless to me, but that's because I was already using Google Assistant and continued to do so. 
      October 11, 2019 4:23 AM MDT

Luddites?
      October 11, 2019 12:02 PM MDT

People opposed to new technology or new ways of working. The term dates back a couple of centuries to people who destroyed machinery because it might eliminate their jobs.
      October 11, 2019 12:38 PM MDT

I am not opposed to new technology when it is beneficial. My old flip phone provides me what I need...something to have in an emergency. I bothers me when I see so many folks with phones growing out of their ears. I refuse to talk to anyone using one in my presence and I find it rude when somebody sticks one in front of my face to look at a pic or video that I have no interest in. I also never have to be within six feet of a charger.
      October 11, 2019 2:54 PM MDT

You have legitimate points. Personally, I think my smartphone compares to a Swiss army knife: It replaces many tools with a single compact device.
      October 11, 2019 7:25 PM MDT

I agree that smart phones are great.  I have to (I don't have to, but I'm going to) say though that there are probably many apps on my i5s (or something like that), which is the same as an i6.  I am always discovering new ones, so I'm sure there are many I haven't discovered yet.  The ones I don't even know about are useless to me.  The problem is, there's no way for me to know how many there are.  See what I mean? So are you sure you don't have any useless apps? This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at October 13, 2019 12:31 PM MDT
      October 11, 2019 7:20 PM MDT

The question was regarding features and gadgets (which are built-in), not apps (which can be added or removed). If an app is not useful to me, then I don't give it space on my phone. But thank you for agreeing that smartphones are a good thing. 
      October 11, 2019 7:31 PM MDT