Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What is an example of meaning well but doing unintentional harm instead?

What is an example of meaning well but doing unintentional harm instead?

A couple out for a rainy day stroll found a poor little kitten cold and soaking wet so they brought it home, thought would be a good idea to put it in the microwave oven to dry off and warm up then set the timer for a minute and a half. Kitten did not survive. 

Good intent but tragic mistake. 

Posted - October 12, 2019

Responses

Drilling superstitious beliefs and unprovable assertions about the world into the impressionable minds of young children. 
      October 12, 2019 8:27 AM MDT

Our son and daughter in law didn't  give the regular Santa story to their children when they first said they were going to do it I thought it was bad but now I can see its for the best. Cheers and happy weekend!
      October 12, 2019 11:12 AM MDT

Stuff like that, the Tooth Fairy, the stork, Easter Bunny, the Devil and assorted boogiemen all instill unrealistic images of reality on children. 

For me, it became a question of what else my parents were lying about. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 12, 2019 8:19 PM MDT
      October 12, 2019 11:38 AM MDT

Our daughter in law is a school teacher and she has seen a lot of kids who were as good as gold all year get next to nothing for Christmas because they are in a low income family. Then after the Christmas break they have to stand around the school yard and listen to kids who were bad all year brag about all the cool presents Santa brought them. So that's one of the reasons they  never spun the Santa thing. Cheers and happy weekend!
      October 12, 2019 11:57 AM MDT

I remember my six-year-old self finding out that Santa wasn't real and thinking 'I guess they're lying about Jesus too'.
      October 12, 2019 8:13 PM MDT

That whole experience brought a great many doubts into
    my mind as a youth.

Why would they lie? I just think it is better to level with kids about what we know, instead of clouding their minds with falsehoods 

October 12, 2019 8:24 PM MDT

Is that truly a “tragic mistake”?  Seems more like blatant stupidity to me. 

October 12, 2019 10:46 AM MDT

They had no idea how a microwave oven works. Hopefully they do now before putting another poor creature in to warm it up. Maybe use the clothes dryer next time. 
      October 12, 2019 11:04 AM MDT

Did the incident take place in 1979 at some Amish township or a barely populated island?  It’s 2019, even if someone is isolated, he or she shouldn’t be placing live beings in any type of oven, microwave, convection, stone hearth, Dutch, etc. 
    ~
      October 13, 2019 11:42 AM MDT

That was a news item that I read quite a long time ago,  just happened to come to mind. Dunno where it took place, locally or somewhere else. Might have been around that time I remember someone asking how they can be sure those sharp  microwave things don't get lodged in the food they are about to eat.
      October 13, 2019 12:01 PM MDT

same thing

October 12, 2019 1:08 PM MDT

Sometimes people will see a baby deer alone and hiding in bushes and they assume that it was abandoned by its mother or the mother was killed so they pick it up and bring it to Animal Rescue. In most cases that's not what happened deer that are nursing young will leave their baby and go off looking for food for 6 hours or so. Once the baby is brought to Animal Rescue they have to raise it as a orphan. Cheers and happy weekend! 
      October 12, 2019 11:36 AM MDT

overfeeding pets
      October 12, 2019 1:07 PM MDT

Giving unsolicited advice that starts with "You should..." That can backfire.
      October 12, 2019 1:10 PM MDT

You should have another drink, my friend. Hey, wait . . . 

~
      October 13, 2019 11:57 AM MDT

Unintentional harm is very different than intentional harm by sadistic people. 
    Putting a puppy in a Microwave is sadistic.
    This post was edited by . at October 13, 2019 11:01 AM MDT
      October 13, 2019 9:31 AM MDT

Well, we cannot use Trump for this one nor any of the GOP because they don't ever mean well.

So, how about idiots who tried to defend Trump.  Guiliani means WELL as far as he tries to DEFEND his BOSS (that is as well-meaning as this dolt gets) but Guiliani is an inept bungler with burdening dementia, and he has made things SO MUCH WORSE FOR TRUMP that he is gonna help END TRUMP FOR GOOD.
    Ryan Cooper
    Rudy Giuliani.
    Illustrated | Sara D. Davis/Getty Images, fominox/iStock, Asya_mix/iStock, -slav-/iStock
    October 11, 2019

The American ruling class is an appalling mass of corruption, like some hellish combination of scrofula, gangrene, and shingles. And one particularly pestilential boil on the national hindquarters is Rudy Giuliani, the president's personal lawyer, bag man, and "guy who admits to crimes on cable news."

We learned Friday that two of Giuliani's close associates, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, were trying to flee the country only to be arrested by federal prosecutors. These Soviet-born Americans have allegedly been conducting a conspiracy to evade campaign finance regulation, according to a recently-unsealed indictment. They have also been key figures in Giuliani's attempt to get Ukraine to investigate the Biden family.

That's America's Mayor for you

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 13, 2019 12:04 PM MDT
      October 13, 2019 9:35 AM MDT

me watering my plants because they look thirsty but i actually overwater them and they wilt and die 
      October 13, 2019 9:49 AM MDT

Poor plants! The soil should be left dry enough so it is slightly porous so the roots can breathe a bit. Should be holes in the bottom of your pots so excess water can drain.

October 13, 2019 12:09 PM MDT

yeah I know better now. i water when they start to get limp and dry. and i bottom water all of them 
      October 13, 2019 12:14 PM MDT

The plants shouldn't get limp and dry before you water them. You gotta talk to them then you begin to know intuitively when they want water. Bottom watering is the best way.
      October 13, 2019 1:19 PM MDT