Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » how come people protest planned parenthood but rarely fertility clinics which destroy LITERALLY hundreds of embryos a day

how come people protest planned parenthood but rarely fertility clinics which destroy LITERALLY hundreds of embryos a day

also its eugenics at its finest which is essentially thinly veiled nazism 

Posted - October 13, 2019

Responses

• The last thing the world needs us more fertile humans.
      October 13, 2019 10:14 AM MDT

the last thing the world needs is more humans tbh 
      October 13, 2019 10:24 AM MDT

• Drink this kool-aid
      October 13, 2019 11:32 AM MDT

Swedish Scientist said we should eat people....

No thank you.
      October 13, 2019 12:01 PM MDT

Thank you.  And I LOVE the arguments with the PICTURE.  Like if you can SEE the baby, then it is wrong.   

LOLOLOL
      October 14, 2019 9:03 AM MDT

Many people do. There are organizations who try to find surrogate or other infertile couples to use the embryos so they are not destroyed. 

I think most people have not thought about the unused embryos at the fertility clinics. 

I had never thought about it. That is how I know about the groups that are helping and there is a process for parents are required to go through considering the unused embryos.

The difference is the stage in development. An embryo vs a fetus. 
    That said an embryo in a fertility clinic does not have a beating heart at the time of disposal.  It is only 4 -5 days into development.  This post was edited by my2cents at October 13, 2019 11:40 AM MDT
      October 13, 2019 10:34 AM MDT

I thought something something, moment of conception? Something something life begins? Oh yeah life begins at moment of conception so embryo=fetus=baby. You can't use that to argue against abortion and then say it's perfectly ok to toss some embryos because they're not developed yet. 
      October 13, 2019 12:13 PM MDT

Yes...human life begins at conception. I did not deny that. That is a scientific fact.  Nor did I say if I felt it was ok to simply destroy those blastocysts.

I was simply explaining why there is not the same intensidy about the embryos (blastocysts) at a fertility clinic vs an abortion clinic.

The difference to the development of the embryo. At a fertility clinic the embryos are 4-5 days into development (blastocyst)....this is the time that a woman would be taking the Plan-B after unprotected sex.

An abortion would take place much later in development.

First Trimester: The Baby at 4 Weeks
    At 4 weeks, your baby is developing:

The nervous system (brain and spinal cord) has begun to form.
    The heart begins to form.
    Arm and leg buds begin to develop.
    Your baby is now an embryo and 1/25 of an inch long.

First Trimester: The Baby at 8 Weeks
    At 8 weeks, the embryo begins to develop into a fetus. Fetal development is apparent:

All major organs have begun to form.
    The baby's heart begins to beat.
    The arms and legs grow longer.
    Fingers and toes have begun to form.
    Sex organs begin to form.
    The face begins to develop features.
    The umbilical cord is clearly visible.

First Trimester: The Baby at 12 Weeks

The end of the first trimester is at about week 12, at this point in your baby's development:

The nerves and muscles begin to work together. Your baby can make a fist.

The external sex organs show if your baby is a boy or girl.

Eyelids close to protect the developing eyes. They will not open again until week 28.

Head growth has slowed, and your baby is about 3 inches long, and weighs almost an ounce.

This post was edited by my2cents at October 13, 2019 2:25 PM MDT
      October 13, 2019 2:13 PM MDT

hey these all look pretty abortable to me 
      October 13, 2019 6:18 PM MDT

They look that way to many on the left. 
    To some this one looks abortable as well:
      October 13, 2019 6:45 PM MDT

under certain circumstances, yes. and late term abortions are not performed like early abortions. you have to go through labour. 
    ultimately tho it's none of business and I'm not going to make it my business because I for some reason feel the need to make everyone else live according to my morals. 
      October 13, 2019 7:42 PM MDT

No. There is NEVER a need for a late term abortion. The baby can be delivered with the intent to save the baby. This also solves whatever medical reason the Mother has that requires the pregnancy to end. 

Our laws regulate morals all the time. Murder is illegal.  Assault is illegal. Stealing is illegal.  Etc. 
      October 13, 2019 8:05 PM MDT

a late term abortion is delivering the fetus. you still have to deliver a fetus when you have a late term abortion. it is given something to stop the heart first, then you deliver. and yeah, there is a need for late term abortions. people have late term abortions when they discover the child they are carrying is going to be born profoundly disabled and essentially braindead, needing to be on a ventilator its entire life. i wish i could find the article about a woman who had a late term abortions for a baby she actually wanted, until she found out late in her pregnancy that it would suffer from all of this and never ever would survive without hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical care. her baby was BRAINDEAD and would never even know it was alive. it was missing organs, had underdeveloped lungs... there is NO saving that. you can sit and say all you want that it's a life worth saving but sorry, it's not and I'm sure deep down you know it. 

and the difference between those laws and abortion is that murder/stealing/assault all affect others. abortion does not, even if you refuse to believe it. 
      October 14, 2019 8:54 AM MDT

The difference is intent....to save the baby. 

And yes the abortions laws effect others....the living baby is affected. The father and other family is affected. 

We do not kill mentally challenged humans. Or elderly people who need help. The baby is should be given as much of a chance to live as any other person. 
      October 14, 2019 11:50 AM MDT

That first sentence sounds like plaigarism FROM ME.  

The rest you can have.  I don't get how you manage to think that it is a SIN if you can see the baby in the picture.  LOL  WOW that proves it's a sin. It has two eyes.  It is a sin if you kill the embryo on purpose.  Period.  I mean according to YOU.
      October 14, 2019 11:53 AM MDT

• Right.

Try to abort a fetus even in an early stage and you face bureaucratic delays, legal intimidation, moral condemnation, and even personal threats. 

Go to a fertility clinic to donate eggs or freeze embryos and you just sign a form and get in line. No one cautions you about the likelihood of destroying potential human life, because in this process no one cares. It's treated as a business transaction - Not a moral outrage.

The hypocrisy and the dirty politics involved are sickening, and exist to cover up the real facts : So-called "conservatives" who preach small government want to control women's choices and their bodies, and will use phony laws to do it 
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 14, 2019 11:53 AM MDT
      October 13, 2019 11:00 AM MDT

No...the people are indeed cautioned about the possibility of destruction of the embryos. And given papers explaining options. 
      October 13, 2019 11:45 AM MDT

• Wrong.

None of those options are required by law, and are provided only at the option clinic managers and owners.

Only 16 states have any statutes regulating the fertility industry, and in those the law focuses on rules that insurance carriers provide coverage.

Compare that to restrictions, mandatory waiting periods, and criminal penalties on abortion services in 37 states.
      October 13, 2019 12:51 PM MDT

Just because something is not required by law does not mean a responsible clinic does not do it. 

Again the difference is the difference between a blastocyst and an embryo. See my post above. 
      October 13, 2019 2:36 PM MDT

• SEE THE QUESTION ABOVE, before you go on and on with your cut and paste sermonizing.

You say: "Yes...human life begins at conception. I did not deny that."  And then dance away from what that really means. Blastocyst /schmastocyst. You follow canned political talking points, not rational personal morality.
      October 13, 2019 3:35 PM MDT

No. I was answering the question. Why people are not protesting IVF clinics the way they do abortion. 
    You may not like the answer but it is the answer. 
      October 13, 2019 5:45 PM MDT

The point is that there is corruption.  AS usual.  And this is not something we can afford to BE corrupt about.  DYING IN THE WOMB is preferable to being a lab experiment or being sold to a Jeffrey Feinstein who wants to use my body in any way he chooses because he bought me.  I could see a creep like that starting his own fertility clinic and selling embryos to the highest bidder.

Britain's leading fertility expert condemned the IVF industry yesterday, saying that it had been corrupted by money and that doctors were exploiting women who were desperate to get pregnant.

Speaking at the Guardian Hay festival, Robert Winston also accused the fertility watchdog, the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, of failing to protect women and giving consistently poor information to couples.

"One of the major problems facing us in healthcare is that IVF has become a massive commercial industry," he said. "It's very easy to exploit people by the fact that they're desperate and you've got the technology which they want, which may not work."

Advertisement

Lord Winston, professor of fertility studies at Imperial College London, was particularly critical of doctors in the capital: "Amazing sums of money are being made through IVF. It is really rather depressing to consider that some IVF treatments in London are charged at 10 times the fee that is charged in Melbourne, where there is excellent medicine, where IVF is just as successful, where they have comparable salaries.

"So one has to ask oneself what has happened. What has happened, of course, is that money is corrupting this whole technology."

There are 85 licensed fertility clinics in the UK, in an industry worth up to £500m a year. According to latest figures from the HFEA, in 2004 more than 30,000 patients underwent more than 40,000 treatment cycles, each costing up to £8,000.

Lord Winston expressed particular concern over some of the tests being offered to infertile couples.

One screening technique which uses fluorescent markers to stain defective parts of an embryo's chromosomes, and costs several thousands of pounds, is routinely used to weed out unviable embryos. But even the most advanced version of the test can only interrogate a tiny portion of an embryo's genome. "That's being sold to patients at £2,000 a time and they're saying, your chromosomes are fine, that embryo should be transferred, when actually it's a lie," Lord Winston said. "There's no knowledge about the genome from that."

He added that there was no clinical justification in doing the screening "and yet hundreds of women are being exploited out of their desperation to get pregnant from people who are taking large sums of money from them in private clinics.

"Much of it is in ignorance because most of the people who are doing this work are doing a form of cookery without understanding the science behind it. It's knowingly done, insofar as the clinicians and scientists doing it don't actually want to explore the implications, because they're not engaging with the public, they're not accountable, they're being arrogant and making a lot of money."

Lord Winston also went on to criticise the HFEA for failing to protect women: "The regulatory authority has done a consistently bad job. It's not prevented the exploitation of women, it's not put out very good information to couples, it's not limited the number of unscientific treatments people have access to, it doesn't prevent sex selection and all sorts of other things people don't like because there are all sorts of ways around the law."

A HFEA spokesman said: "No procedure throughout medicine goes into mass use without some sort of leap of faith. Patients just need to be informed that something is on a preliminary stage and if you want to go down that route then do so, but you're fully informed before you do so.

"All hospitals and clinics that offer IVF treatment in the UK are regulated by the HFEA. We do have strict guidelines they follow, including a code of practice that clearly states that sex selection for social reasons is not allowed.

"As far as we are aware, all IVF clinics abide by those regulations. Any patient that wishes to receive IVF has the information available to them."

Since you’re here…

… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading and supporting The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as we do.

The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.

Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. Our progressive values mean we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 14, 2019 12:00 PM MDT
      October 14, 2019 11:56 AM MDT

There is corruption in everything but we should not kill the victims.
      October 14, 2019 12:29 PM MDT

Exactly.  I've seen pro lifers who will undergo multiple rounds of IVF to have a kid, and somehow that is more moral than having an abortion. Abortion goes against the "will of god" but apparently god is ok with science playing with your fertility and then yeeting all the other unwanted embryos into the trash, OR even using them for stem cell research? 
      October 13, 2019 12:10 PM MDT