Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Kurds are seeking help from SYRIA and RUSSIA to help fight Turkey? WHAT? Isn't Russia fighting WITH Turkey AGAINST the Kurds?

Kurds are seeking help from SYRIA and RUSSIA to help fight Turkey? WHAT? Isn't Russia fighting WITH Turkey AGAINST the Kurds?

Do se do and change partners? Musical chairs? You switch sides just by being asked to do so? This is weird.
That is not how things are done are they? Sheesh.

Posted - October 14, 2019

Responses

This is ONE way to end the war.  No one knows who is fighting whom.  How stable.  What a genius.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 15, 2019 4:12 AM MDT
      October 14, 2019 8:31 AM MDT

Chaos reigns wherever trump is involved. Sheesh. Thank you for your reply Sharon.
      October 15, 2019 4:12 AM MDT

Russia is not fighting "with" Turkey, if you're talking allied nations.
    They are allied with Syria and Iran - which are fighting the Kurds.  So may be helping Turkey, by fighting the Kurds in Syria.
    But it's not because they actually want to help Turkey, as much as helping Syria and Iran.

Though, if Russia could get Turkey to leave NATO ... they would probably do anything to do so.

October 14, 2019 8:43 AM MDT

You did not answer my question. Let me try it another way.

Turkish and Russian troops are in northern Syria murdering Kurds as we post these words.

So why are the Kurds seeking assistance from the very people who are murdering them?
      October 15, 2019 4:14 AM MDT

Because the Syrian Kurds are claiming they are not aligned with the Turkish Kurds ... and that they are not a threat to any of those 3 countries ... and that they are allied against ISIS.
      October 15, 2019 6:55 AM MDT

OK. So now I'm thoroughly confused. Sheesh. Aren't Kurds Kurds wherever they live? How does that change anything? Very confusing. Thanks for trying though Walt. :)
      October 15, 2019 7:17 AM MDT

It's like if there were a group of Italians living in America, Mexico, and Canada.
    And the Italians living in Canada wanted to form their own country - and formed a militia to fight for it.
    So Canada declares ALL Italians terrorists - including the ones living in Mexico and America, who may or may not support armed conflict against Canada.
      October 15, 2019 9:26 AM MDT

Russia is allied to the Syrian government so ideally they don't want to empower any movement that is against the Syrian government. My guess is that they see Sunni Islamists as being a far greater threat to regional stability - and to Russia - than Kurdish nationalism. 

From the Commander in Chief of the Syrian Democratic Forces, writing in Foreign Policy magazine:

"We believe in democracy as a core concept, but in light of the invasion by Turkey and the existential threat its attack poses for our people, we may have to reconsider our alliances. The Russians and the Syrian regime have made proposals that could save the lives of millions of people who live under our protection. We do not trust their promises. To be honest, it is hard to know whom to trust."

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/10/13/kurds-assad-syria-russia-putin-turkey-genocide/
      October 15, 2019 3:45 PM MDT