Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » I go to Walmart dressed like a poor homeless person with only .50 and take a potato to check-out costing 53 cents would cashier forgive .03?

I go to Walmart dressed like a poor homeless person with only .50 and take a potato to check-out costing 53 cents would cashier forgive .03?

Do you think, or make me put the spud back and bring a smaller one?

What would you do if you were cashier? 

Posted - October 14, 2019

Responses

The cashier can't change the price.  She weighs the potato and the price is computed.  If I had that job I would keep change in my pocket for times like this.  
      October 14, 2019 10:51 PM MDT

I would let you have the potato and put  3 cents in the till for you plus I would let you know that next time you need a potato  go down to China town because you could get 3 potatoes for 50 cents. Cheers!
      October 14, 2019 10:54 PM MDT

Company policy states that, in this situation, the clerk cannot sell the product to the customer.  A till short - even by a penny - can equate employee termination.  Giving money from one's own pocket isn't advised as it can be construed as stealing (cameras are watching).
      October 14, 2019 10:57 PM MDT

That's pretty strict.
      October 14, 2019 11:03 PM MDT

OUCH!  That Bites!
      October 15, 2019 12:58 PM MDT

Maybe if you work in a bank.  I worked at Wal-Mart for 3 months.  They had their heads up their butts.  
      October 15, 2019 1:00 PM MDT

I've heard they treat their employees like crap.
    It's too bad because they promote the "All happy low-income family."
      October 15, 2019 1:20 PM MDT

I've worked in retail at numerous places over the past 30 years and the policy is the same everywhere.  Some places have a "give-a-penny/take-a-penny" tray for such occasions.  
      October 15, 2019 1:40 PM MDT

Why?   Two whys, actually.  1.  Why would you do this?  And why wouldn't I JUST GO TELL YOU TO GET ANOTHER ONE?    What is a homeless person going to do with a potato anyway?  Why not get a banana?  
      October 14, 2019 11:13 PM MDT

I'm retired,  I have a lot of time on my hands. Making fries with the potato is a lot more of a taste treat than a banana.
      October 14, 2019 11:59 PM MDT

slice banana,  pour rum and brown sugar in frying pan and have bananas foster This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 15, 2019 12:59 PM MDT
      October 15, 2019 1:11 AM MDT

YUM!
      October 15, 2019 1:00 PM MDT

In my experience, cashiers will round down a price when I have a big bill, or am counting out coins and am a little short. I have never intentionally dressed like a homeless person.  You may have better luck if you look like you can afford it and just forgot your wallet. They are more likely to want your return business. However, I don't shop at Walmart, so I don't know if the protocol is different there.
      October 15, 2019 5:56 AM MDT

Isn‘t produce sold by weight?  If you go back and get a slightly smaller spud, you’ll have enough money to pay for it. Quit causing a problem for the cashier, get a potato that you can afford. 
    ~
      October 15, 2019 8:57 AM MDT

Problem is always having to wait in line so long just for an honest guy to pay for his measly potato in the first place. 
      October 15, 2019 9:25 AM MDT

Being an honest guy, pay the asking price for the merchandise. 
    ~
      October 15, 2019 7:13 PM MDT

Shuhak makes a fair point. A lot of companies do have policies that expressly forbid stepping in on things like this, either by paying or accepting less. Wal-Mart has notoriously rigid policies for staff. It wouldn't surprise me at all if something like helping the homeless person would cost the cashier his/her job. 

If I was the cashier, I'd either short the drawer or pay the balance. If the company fired me over it, it's not a company I would want to work for anyway. 

That brings to mind a news story I saw a while back, where a restaurant owner put a hungry guy to work washing dishes and stuff. He fed him and gave him cash. I think it turned into a regular job for the guy. Obviously, as a cashier at Wal-Mart, you don't have that kind of leeway, but I think that's the better outcome. 
      October 15, 2019 10:17 AM MDT

As a customer, you have 6% less than the purchase price of the item he wishes to purchase.  

Are you a customer or a con-"woman?"

But seriously, Walmart has a "product mix" which includes not only the item it sells but also the time and effort that it takes for the customer to pay for and exit the store with the product.

So---as has been mentioned in other answers---there is the potential effect on the other customers that may disincline them to return to that store because of the time involved to deal with such issues in the check-out line.

And then there is the question of whether Walmart can afford to maintain a policy of effectively discounting its items to everyone who has almost enough to pay for what they want (and at what percent discount).

And how many such "potatoes" are sold daily---in other words, how is the cashier supposed to keep up with how much money she needs to repay to Walmart because she has accepted less than the purchase price?

I would guess the self-service checkouts that are becoming very common eliminate the issue rather effectively.
      October 15, 2019 10:52 AM MDT

You DO know that Kittygate is a man? 
      October 15, 2019 10:54 AM MDT

This cesspool of a world has no conscience. The same may go for individuals too and I guess this whole thing depends on the cashier.
      October 15, 2019 10:56 AM MDT

I'd pull my handy dandy swiss army knife out of my polyester blue garb. Slice off part of the potato, making it a 48 cent potato. Eat the evidence. Take the man's 50 cents.  Put the now 48 cent potato in a bag.  Give the man 2 cents back and the potato, and wish him a happy Potato Head day.
      October 15, 2019 1:18 PM MDT

Good idea,  hope the cashier does not make an issue about a slice of potato missing. 
      October 15, 2019 2:00 PM MDT

If I were the cashier I'd pay the three cents from my own purse.
    Since we no longer have three-cent coins in Australia, I'd round it up to the nearest 5 cents.
    Actually I've done this on a few occasions as a customer standing in a queue waiting while the pauper struggles to pay.

This post was edited by inky at October 16, 2019 7:55 PM MDT
      October 16, 2019 7:52 PM MDT