Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » BAN cardboard pizza boxes. THEY STINK up the whole meal.

BAN cardboard pizza boxes. THEY STINK up the whole meal.

What creates the cardboard box "smell"?

Robert Smith
Robert Smith, works at Business Process Management

Yes, cardboard. Corrugated cardboard boxes have a certain smell, and the more boxes in a space you have, the more noticeable it is. Two constituents of cardboard’s scent, 4-methylphenol and 4-ethylphenol, have a “horse stable-like, fecal” smell (these are the culprits for making cardboard smell like "poop").

Posted - October 15, 2019

Responses

I've honestly never had a cardboard pizza box make the pizza smell any different.

Nor have I been around cardboard boxes that smelled like a horse stable.
    And we have YEARS of records in cardboard boxes.
    It just smells like paper, to me.

I would favor something that would more likely be recycled, though.
    Did you know, that some places don't allow recycling of pizza boxes, because of the food scraps?
    Some cities are now considering banning restaurants from using anything for left-overs, other than reusable plastic containers.
    I believe Portland, OR is going to repeal the law banning people from bringing their own containers for left-over food.
      October 15, 2019 11:26 AM MDT

Not even REMOTELY interesting. Snoresville, USA. 
      October 15, 2019 7:02 PM MDT

Why would you care. There is nothing raw in a pizza...and they have cheese, a non-vegan food.
      October 15, 2019 7:25 PM MDT

So you'd better have a plastic box ? 

Grace to the natural lands. I prefer my cardboard box. Moreover, they can still be recycled , depending 
      October 16, 2019 7:03 AM MDT

• Vegans don't even eat real pizza.

It ain't the box, it's that carp made from nuts y'all pretend is cheese like.
      October 16, 2019 10:50 AM MDT