Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The entire Military of today tilts toward the GOP. Officers tend to CONSERVATIVES and the enlisted tend to be LIBERALS. Why?

The entire Military of today tilts toward the GOP. Officers tend to CONSERVATIVES and the enlisted tend to be LIBERALS. Why?

Simply the more money you have the more you want to make more of it and keep more of it and that is always a Republican pitch. CUT TAXES FOR THE WEALTHY.

Additional the privileged attend military places like Annapolis. I don't know if you can get on a scholarship or if it's money and privilege and a legacy. The elites become officers. They would stand for nothing less since they were born to lead and that is what they beliieve.

Posted - October 17, 2019

Responses

Where did you get this?  The enlisted tend to be liberals?  Really?  Maybe it's true.   Maybe. I would think they are not as political as they are just patriotic and want to defend America right or wrong.  

Is that being liberal?  
      October 17, 2019 9:21 AM MDT

I GOOGLED IT. You might do likewise.
      October 18, 2019 2:27 AM MDT

I've done some research in this area and the results are mixed. Some say the enlisted are more liberal while others say they are more conservative. While still others say a mixture of both. Who's right? Does it really matter? All politics aside, it's found that whether one is drafted or enlist, liberal or conservative, they will fight for their country when asked to. Patriotism in the United States runs deeper than you might think.
      October 17, 2019 9:58 AM MDT

From talking to my brother, who is a retired Army colonel and chaplain, the sense I get is that since POTUS is Commander in Chief, those in the military always support the president, regardless of anybody's party affiliation or political preference.
      October 17, 2019 10:15 AM MDT

WELL DINOSAURS like that?  They need to retire.  We have progressed.  You know?  It is easy to pass the military buck.  When operations are thwarted by a maniac and the generals have  no power?  Then it is time to take A STAND. 

This guy is a maniac.  He is killing our allies.  He is alienating everyone and he is causing the destruction of America.  So, it is time for OFFICERS and CHAPLAINS (what the heck does that have to do with anything???)  to take a STAND FOR AMERICA and stop passing the FREAKING BUCK already.  Yes, they must follow ORDERS. They also have the opportunity to SPEAK OUT AND STAND FOR THE COUNTRY.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 17, 2019 11:15 AM MDT
      October 17, 2019 10:27 AM MDT

Actually, my brother is no dinosaur - he just retired last year. And while he is a Republican who has voted for Ford, Reagan, Clinton (no, that's not a typo), and both Bushes, he hates Trump almost as much as you do. So I am not sure what you're raving about.
      October 17, 2019 10:32 AM MDT

His voting record does not impress me much.  He voted for BOTH Bushes?  That means he is a dinosaur. And EVERYONE HATES TRUMP AS MUCH AS I DO.     

It heals my heart knowing he was military and hates Trump.  It does. I will give him that much.  If his opinion is  a barometer of the climate of the military's feelings about Donald Trump, maybe there is some hope.  

Forgive me, Stu's Brother. I was WRONG about you. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 17, 2019 12:10 PM MDT
      October 17, 2019 11:25 AM MDT

Actually, he voted for Bush 41 once, in 1988, and against him when he voted for Clinton in 1992.
      October 17, 2019 12:16 PM MDT

Actually, lots of folks supported the Bushes. That hardly makes them inferior human beings.
      October 17, 2019 3:39 PM MDT

"support the President" meaning they don't say anything against that person.
    They may disagree with the person's agenda or how the country is being run - but the US military has a tradition of generally staying out of politics.  I'm sure there are times when the Joint Chiefs have wanted to slap a politician upside the head. 

And can you imagine the media panic if some General said "Well, we think the President's orders are stupid so we're not going to do it."  Suddenly, even if the media agreed with the sentiment, there would be projections of a military coup.
      October 17, 2019 2:20 PM MDT

Traditionally military members vote majority Republican.  Exit polls from 2016 said military voted 2-1 for Trump. 
      October 17, 2019 11:06 AM MDT

Where does she get the liberal stuff from?    That catch-word doesn't even mean anything anymore.  You are either PRO Trump or ANTI.  There is no grey.  He made that line impossible to cross now.  Forget liberal or conservative.  You are either SANE or INSANE.
      October 17, 2019 11:28 AM MDT

Which is why I asked the question m2c.
      October 18, 2019 2:28 AM MDT

Why does the military (all not just officers) support the Republicans?  Because the Republicans vote to support the military and historically the military gets higher income raises under a Rep Pres than a Dem. 
      October 18, 2019 10:25 AM MDT

From what I've read:
    American military colleges are far less "legacy" oriented than any other college.
    It's not even a lot of "who you know" - as just about anyone can get a recommendation from their Congressional representative.
    It is more about what you want to do after graduation.  EG: enlist in the military.
      October 17, 2019 11:16 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Walt.
      October 18, 2019 2:29 AM MDT

I would like to know where you got this information. (It was difficult, but I refrained from saying rubbish.)
      October 17, 2019 11:19 AM MDT

Liberals are the ones who serve?  Oh sure.  
      October 17, 2019 11:30 AM MDT

But do they not serve because they're liberals, or are they liberals because they don't serve? Think about that. Kind of reminds me of the old joke that a conservative is a liberal who recently got mugged. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at October 17, 2019 1:51 PM MDT
      October 17, 2019 12:13 PM MDT

I was neither. I just wanted to do my job and make a good life for my family. I served under whomever was president at the time and didn't pay much attention to politics.
      October 17, 2019 1:50 PM MDT

GOOGLE is the source of the rubbish This post was edited by RosieG at October 18, 2019 2:30 AM MDT
      October 18, 2019 2:29 AM MDT