Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » As of September 2019 the USA is ranked as the 118th safest country in the world. Without our guns we'd rank dead last right?

As of September 2019 the USA is ranked as the 118th safest country in the world. Without our guns we'd rank dead last right?

OR ALTERNATIVELY without our guns we'd no doubt rank much higher?

Having more guns clearly doesn't make us more safe. What does it do for you?

Canada is ranked SIXTH on the list of safest countries. I always knew Canadians were a lot smarter than Americans. 116 other countries are too. Way smarter. We're mediocre at best. Get over it if you thought any differently!

Posted - October 18, 2019

Responses

I'd have to see what list you're using, and what their measurements are.

For example, one website uses the following:
      • Number of internal and external violent conflicts
      • Level of distrust
      • Political instability
      • Potential for terrorist acts
      • Number of homicides
      • Military expenditures as a percentage of GDP

So, of course, America is going to rank "less safe" than most nations - because of our military actions worldwide, and our distrust of our own government.  Those things don't actually equate to America being "unsafe".  

However, I'm betting it makes America (on the list) less "safe" than countries with higher homicide rates due to genocide - where the country is spending less on "military expenditures" than the US - and only has the genocide as a "violent conflict", rather than troops in actions worldwide.
      October 18, 2019 7:35 AM MDT

I GOOGLED "List of safest countries in the world" Walt and I used what came up. It listed 163 countries. I didn't investigate the components of "safest". I don't always ask to see the recipe when I consume something tasty.  You bring up many considerations. I focused on a simple question and reported what I found. No side trips for me. Thank you for your reply.
      October 18, 2019 7:39 AM MDT

I don't have any doubt that our homicide rate makes us "less safe" than many nations ... but things like what I highlighted skew the results.
    I mean, I don't think anybody would say the average citizen (not in the military) in America is less safe than Denmark because of what our military does.

And I don't even know how you would measure "potential for terrorist acts".  I think that would be the same, everywhere.
    Even countries with strict controls on their population have trouble with terrorists.
      October 18, 2019 7:59 AM MDT

As I said Walt I asked Google and Google responded. You are always looking for more that will refute or discount what I ask. I don't mind that. You are a born Devil's Advocate. You are more likely to bring up a zillion whaddabouts than to say "I agree" ir "I understand your point" and let it go at that so however you roll is okay with me. I am not wired that way. I accept an answer to the question I ask and if it requires further investigating and I care enough I follow that route until I am satisfied. So I can work with you and you can work with me. We just have different ways of doing our work. Thank you for your reply! :)
      October 18, 2019 8:06 AM MDT

I googled that as well when I was answering your question about guns making America the safest.  I also disregarded that list for the same reasons Walt listed above. 

And just went with facts that we all know are true. 
      October 18, 2019 7:56 AM MDT

I tend not to use Google for any searches I conduct. Their liberal bias and questionable ethics make it untrustworthy in my opinion.
      October 18, 2019 8:38 AM MDT

This is true. I have just recently started using Duck Duck Go.   But it is a habit to say googled for searched on the internet. 
      October 18, 2019 8:43 AM MDT

I use Duck Duck Go also. I like it. Yup, I still say googled also. :)
      October 18, 2019 9:37 AM MDT