Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Travel » How would you define a well-travelled person? Would you consider yourself as one?

How would you define a well-travelled person? Would you consider yourself as one?

Posted - October 19, 2019

Responses

Someone who has traveled to a lot of different countries experiencing foreign cultures.  

Yes, I've been a lot of places but there a lot more that I haven't seen than I have.  International travel has become harder for me because I can hardly force myself to fly.  When I was last in northern California it was time to come home, and hard as I tried, I could not buy a ticket.  So, I finally rented a car and drove home to Alabama (where I lived at the time).  
      October 19, 2019 3:10 AM MDT

• I'd  like to ask two questions. 
    1. How do you experience foreign culture? 
    2. Why can't you force yourself to fly? 
      October 19, 2019 4:28 AM MDT

I've been to quite a few countries, enjoyed the culture and the people, but there are more places I haven't been than those I have.  
      October 19, 2019 6:45 AM MDT

Someone who has spent significant time in various foreign locales over a number of years. My standard of well traveled would be at least ten countries spread among different continents. 

I do consider myself well-traveled. 

October 19, 2019 6:47 AM MDT

My thought of being well-traveled doesn't necessarily have a passport with a ton of stamps.  Granted, it is a huge benefit and does make for great mileage points but what caught my eye about this question is Well.
    To me, being saturated by any culture, even if it is your own, is  being well-traveled. 
    If you absorb all the ins and outs and feeling all there is to know, sincerely loving every minute and what you are doing, foreign or domestic... that is being well-traveled.
    It could be in your own back yard or in the library. 
    It could also be in Greece or Egypt which is tons of fun but it doesn't necessarily have to be such places. This post was edited by Merlin at October 19, 2019 9:41 AM MDT
      October 19, 2019 8:57 AM MDT

• I like your perspective. 
      October 19, 2019 9:42 AM MDT

Thank you Wisdom Tooth!  Big Smiles and Happy Thoughts! :) :)
      October 19, 2019 9:16 PM MDT

• Well deserved. 
      October 19, 2019 10:47 PM MDT

Well - I guess someone who has traveled a lot.  Which I don't really do any longer.  Got around some when I was young - could be I thought I find the secret of life (not in those terms) by doing so.  Which I never did.  So now I stick with the familiar and proven. 
      October 19, 2019 8:10 PM MDT

I've been to Mexico, Israel, Amsterdam, Canada and most of the states, except for the far Eastern area.  Not really well-traveled. 
      October 19, 2019 10:43 PM MDT

• What you've gained from your visits probably matters more than the places you've been to. 
      October 19, 2019 10:51 PM MDT

• Someone who has a wide variety of traveling experience. The variety encompasses different unrelated cultures and geographical regions. I'm decently well-traveled (been around Europe, North America, Australia, and East Asia), but there are more places I would like to see. I've never been to Africa or South America, for example. 
      October 19, 2019 11:40 PM MDT