Active Now

Spunky
CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » If you come across a book which is very difficult to read language-wise, but you know is packed with great and relevant information, ...

If you come across a book which is very difficult to read language-wise, but you know is packed with great and relevant information, ...

... will you determinedly plod through it, or look for an alternative which is easier to read but not as informative? 

Posted - October 19, 2019

Responses

If the subject matter is of interest to
    me, yes. It wouldn’t be the first time. 
      October 19, 2019 5:53 AM MDT

Many times the names of characters are hard to pronounce.  The plot and story is intriguing enough to plod through the names.  
    Sometimes when I read books like this, I substitute the given name for something I can pronounce, like George.
    The story itself will keep me motivated. :) :)
      October 19, 2019 8:40 AM MDT

• That's quite a good idea. 
      October 19, 2019 9:29 AM MDT

:) :)!  I would have missed out on reading some great books. The Trilogy of the Rings, for example, I would not have read had it not been for that crutch of being able to read through the names. 
    Luckily, for me, I was around enough people who were familiar with the books and when they pronounced the name, I knew it was "George." ;) :)  
      October 19, 2019 9:32 PM MDT

• I like your sense of humour. 
      October 19, 2019 10:41 PM MDT

Which sounds like my trying to read philosophy.  I have plodded and plodded but so much of it I have never  understood.  Or derived anything from.  Just not smart enough for many things. 
      October 19, 2019 8:07 PM MDT

• Read Will Durant's Story of Philosophy. Very readable, strongly recommended. 
      October 19, 2019 10:43 PM MDT

Once I spent a few days in a location where I found a history book by the same Durant which I recall being actually quite lucid.  Oh readable discussions of philosophy I understand but not sure how they get from the original texts to their understandings of it. Aristotle being the one happy exception.  Once a correspondent on AB, a former teacher, had me read The Myth of Sisyphus and write a "paper" on it which I did. And which he said, had I been in his class, he would have given me an "A" on. 
      October 21, 2019 9:04 AM MDT