Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » General » Computers & Internet » How does Amazon know the make and model of my car?

How does Amazon know the make and model of my car?

The only ones who should know are my insurance company, the dealership and the DMV. Are one of them selling my info?

Posted - October 24, 2019

Responses

Very likely yes, as even the a&&hole scammers from India do. The last one to call about buying a warranty extention (Dave, from India), I told him I burned my car for the insurance. I have said much ruder things.
      October 24, 2019 11:38 AM MDT

Mmmm hmmm

Animated GIF
      October 25, 2019 10:25 PM MDT

Stay off the internet and move into a cave. It is the only escape.
      October 24, 2019 12:16 PM MDT

You're right about that.  I moved out to the hermit colony and the neighbors were SO annoying.
      October 25, 2019 7:43 PM MDT

How did you manage to worm your way out of it....:(. Y . ) 
      October 25, 2019 8:40 PM MDT

Most likely.  They all sell out information.  People worry about the government being all up in our business and Amazon., Google, Apple, etc. know more about us than the government.
      October 24, 2019 12:48 PM MDT

Yes. I know DMV sells information. 

Also if you have ever looked on the internet for anything for your car Google is spyware.  Also your smart phone listens to you. Alexia and Apples' version as well. 

I have seen several times when my children will be talking about something and ads for that product will suddenly appear on the phones. 

Most resent was potty training. Pullup ads came up on my daughter's phone. 
      October 24, 2019 1:15 PM MDT

(resent recent)
    (Pullup  Pop-up)
      October 25, 2019 10:23 PM MDT

The DMV shares information.  That is where insurance company get your name/address/phone number to market to you.  That is where Medicare supplement providers get contact information for marketing.  I believe it to be wrong.
      October 24, 2019 6:58 PM MDT

I think you're right. I recall having to answer some security questions in order to make a phone transaction at my bank. They said the questions were based on the DMV and some other sources that I have forgotten. One of the questions was what color my car is.  
      October 25, 2019 8:12 AM MDT

I *think* Amazon is getting their own information, usually from your buying and browsing habits. There is an option in Amazon to tell them about your vehicle. I think it's called Amazon Garage or something. If you didn't fill that out, have you ever looked at products that are specific to your make and model? 

What I see from the company is tracking on their site. When they see you've expressed an interest in something, you then see ads for it on the site, in emails, and on other sites around the net. 

I haven't seen Amazon present me with information they would have had to have gathered elsewhere. Google ads, yes. Google ads constantly follow the sites I've been on and pitch me things related to where I've been. I'm sure Amazon's cookies have the same capabilities, but I've never seen them leverage it. If you're 100% totally certain it was Amazon telling you they knew details about your vehicle and are 100% totally certain you never so much as looked at products related to your car, this would be the first time I've heard of the company sourcing outside info. 

You can look at and edit your Amazon browsing history, BTW. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201145440 
      October 25, 2019 10:42 AM MDT

I just bought this car a few weeks ago and I haven't done any Amazon  browsing related to it. They had the make, model and year. I noticed previously that they had the same info on the car I used to own and I couldn't think of why they had it then.  I had that car for several years before this info popped up, so I think this is something new Amazon is doing.

In the past, I have altered my Amazon browsing history to remove items that I have no future interest in so that they do not continue to be suggested to me.

I do know about targeted advertising on Google and YouTube (which you can circumvent by using a private tab).  This post was edited by Jane S at October 25, 2019 10:25 PM MDT
      October 25, 2019 8:18 PM MDT