Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Environment » For those of you that do so, what items do you recycle the most?

For those of you that do so, what items do you recycle the most?

1. Paper/cardboard
2. Aluminum
3. Other metals
4. Plastics
5. Glass
6. Other_______________
7. I don't recycle, so I shouldn't be answering this question.

We recycle mostly aluminium. We drink a lot f beer. We give the cans to a scrapper friend to help supplement his income.

Posted - October 26, 2019

Responses

• Bad jokes and Twink pics.  I use them over and over.
      October 26, 2019 1:46 PM MDT

1, 4, 5, 6 - green waste.  They're getting picky at what is and isn't allowed to be recycled anymore.  
      October 26, 2019 1:48 PM MDT

What is green waste? Food trash? (Seriously)
      October 26, 2019 3:59 PM MDT

Green waste is mostly any thing thst grows in the ground ....from trees,bushes ,grass ,and any vegetation....
    Food waste goes to composting to.... 
      October 26, 2019 4:57 PM MDT

Green waste is what gardeners are left with after pruning trees and shrubs, de-heading spent flowers, sweeping up autumn leaves, weeding and mowing the lawn. 
      October 26, 2019 5:15 PM MDT

Branches, weeds, leaves, grass clippings, and such.  Basic yard debris.  They chip it up and  then sell it back to anyone who wants it.
      October 26, 2019 5:35 PM MDT

Mulch...our city does that.
      October 26, 2019 7:18 PM MDT

I try to re;use my bicycle every day....I find it very wasteful and also expesnsive to keep purchasing new ones daily....:( 
      October 26, 2019 2:14 PM MDT

All.
    Ari and I have been recycling for forty years - since when we first learned about environmental issues.
    We make it easy by having separate bins for each material. If waste is clean and properly sorted, it's easy to recycle.
    Big companies like Simsmetal are keen on scrap metals. Same with glass.
    We take the bins to the local Council depot and put it in the right skips so we don't have to pay for pick-ups and tip fees.
    We compost food scraps and use it as fertiliser for the veggie patch.

Australia has hit a nasty problem in that China now refuses to accept our waste for recycling.
    The main problem is people not cleaning containers before throwing them away.
    This is apparently more of a problem for plastics. With metal and glass, the smelting processes can purify easily enough.
    Great unmanageable mountains of recyclables are accumulating. In one case down in Melbourne, a mountain of waste caught fire, sending highly toxic smoke out across the suburbs. The residents had to be evacuated. The fire took days to put out.
    People are talking about starting our own recycling industries.
    Some already have. Hard thermoplastics are being remoulded into fence posts, railways sleepers and public seats and tables (with solar inhibitor chemicals added.)

It seems inconvenient when first getting used to cleaning empties, popping them into their right bins, and carting them to the right recycling skips. But one soon gets used to it as a way of life. It's no worse than doing the laundry or mowing the lawn.
    For us, it's worth it to know that we are not contributing to the death of the planet.

October 26, 2019 2:35 PM MDT

We still recycle palstics, and most of them are already clean, but as you said, not much is actually be done with it.
      October 26, 2019 4:03 PM MDT

Everything there are containers provided to put recyclable into - metals, glass,  paper products and organics.
    I think t it's too bad that textiles were not more recyclable because people toss out a lot of clothing and bedding sort of materials. 
      October 26, 2019 3:25 PM MDT

Cans mostly.  I recycle everything I can.  One thing I don't understand is: why styrofoam is not recyclable.  There is so much of it, surely someone could re-use it.
      October 26, 2019 4:15 PM MDT

Good question. Did you know they make packing peanuts out of cornstarch? You can re-use them or put them in the sink and melt them down the drain. Or eat them if you are really hungry.
      October 26, 2019 4:19 PM MDT

My mom and I recycle , but she tend to garbage stuffs that shouldnt. 

Like ... metal cans, plastic water bottles, cardboards; and when i see her do it , i retrieve the stuffs 
      October 26, 2019 4:31 PM MDT

You are a good Canadian.
      October 26, 2019 4:55 PM MDT

FYI: Garbage is not a verb and "stuffs" is not a word. "Stuff" is a plural noun. Do you live in French Canada?
      October 27, 2019 7:39 PM MDT

Everything listed
      October 27, 2019 7:24 AM MDT

We're fortunate to have curbside recycling where I live, so I recycle everything. 

I know that much of it isn't actually recycled, but I cannot control what happens to it after it leaves my home. I do reuse the occasional plastic bag that I get from stores (I generally bring my own). 
      October 27, 2019 7:34 PM MDT

I only recycle an item once.
      October 27, 2019 7:40 PM MDT

Not true.......you personally recycle every thing you eat and drink.....its only true when you yourself is up for recycling and that's one dead cert you can bet on....:)  
      October 27, 2019 8:31 PM MDT