Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Any non-Californians ever have your electricity shut off due to fires?

Any non-Californians ever have your electricity shut off due to fires?

An Answermug friend who lives in the northern part of the state had no power from 7:15pm Saturday till it was turned back on at 3:15 pm WEDNESDAY! A way of life now I guess for some Californians. There's gotta be a smarter way and what good doesm shutting off the power do anyway?

Posted - October 31, 2019

Responses

The smarter way is for the system to be overhauled and made more resistant to the weather!

I have not heard of anything like it happening in the UK, but a couple of years ago my pen-friend in Norway told me they had fires in December, set by electricity lines breaking under the weight of accumulated ice, and sparking on grass and heather dry from an unusual Autumn drought.
      November 1, 2019 3:23 PM MDT

Good golly miss molly! Fires in the dead of winter due to accumulated ice? I guess there is NO ESCAPE from fire no matter what the weather is! I just cannot ever remember a year when so many HUGE DEVASTATING fires occurred in California. I suspect arson but I have no specific proof. I wonder if all the fire sites will be inspected thoroughly for that possibility? Maybe a trump supporter knows he hates California and is setting the fires up and down the state. I dunno. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Saturday! :)
      November 2, 2019 3:17 AM MDT

It was unusual, that Norwegian fire, but it was not quite in the dead of Winter. My pen-friend lives on the West Norwegian coast, where the Autumn weather is more often cold and wet before the frost and snow arrives.

I can't see how arson as you suggest would help anyone.

Recently I read an article from 2017, in the Journal of the Royal Geographical Society, that said the Western States had been seeing more, and more frequent strong, dry, cold winds from the North West. Have you noticed this where you are, or via news and weather reports? 
      November 3, 2019 2:10 PM MST

We've noticed the increase in the number of devastating fires Durdle. So far none of them have come close to us but we are surrounded by areas of fire-devastated communities. I do not remember it ever being this bad. CLIMATE CHANGE the culprit? I think California is officially out of the DROUGHT we suffered with for years. Maybe marginally. But whatever else is going on seems to be working against us. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. I wonder what is gonna happen futurely?
      November 4, 2019 4:05 AM MST

Yes. I had my power cut off in Nashua NH because there was a fire along the power lines. **IT HAPPENS
      November 3, 2019 2:11 PM MST

I know. America has been living with a sh**load of sh** since January 2017. Having lived in California for most of my life I do not remember the electric company ever depriving citizens of power for days before during and after a fire. Thank you for your reply GFLG and Happy Monday to thee. This post was edited by RosieG at November 4, 2019 5:03 PM MST
      November 4, 2019 4:07 AM MST