Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you a CLUTZ? Ever slice and dice yourself either in the kitchen with sharp knives or in the work shop with a dangerous tool?

Are you a CLUTZ? Ever slice and dice yourself either in the kitchen with sharp knives or in the work shop with a dangerous tool?

Posted - November 1, 2019

Responses

A few weeks ago I cut my hand trying to open a tin of paint with a chisel. I didn't need to go to hospital but it took a long time to heal fully and I still see a faint scar where the injury was. I was about to repaint a small damaged area on a door sill, and if I hadn't been so obsessed with trying to match the colour perfectly, it wouldn't have happened! In the kitchen, I've always been lucky.
      November 1, 2019 2:45 AM MDT

Condolences Rev! Now how DO you open a can of paint? The lid is on very tightly so you need something to pry it open. Like a screw driver right? Apologies that I'm so ignorant but what is a chisel? Is it like a screw driver? Anyway I'm glad you're OK. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to ya m'dear! :)
      November 1, 2019 3:00 AM MDT

Thank you Rosie! A chisel is a tool for carving or gouging wood or stone, normally used in conjunction with a mallet, which provides the force. I bought it many years ago and haven't really used it much, except to carve out a recess for a new door lock once. I think that in general it is better to use a screwdriver or a knife to lever the lid off a can of paint, but this one had been used before and the lid was all fouled up with dried paint. I've since learned that pliers might have produced better results. Happy Friday!
      November 1, 2019 3:34 AM MDT

I remember once upon a time when I was a kid my dad was painting a room and he pried off the lid of the can of paint with a screwdriver. He did very carefully. He loosened it all around so that when it was completely detached he just lifted the lid off. Very patient guy! Once burned twice shy. Right? Thank you for your reply and the Happy Friday wishes Rev! :):):)
      November 1, 2019 6:54 AM MDT

If you look up clutz in the dictionary, you will find my pic right there in the description. I have a big scar on my thumb from slicing it open while washing dishes, I've been in the ER numerous times for x-rays from tripping over air. I've been on crutches for breaking my foot by normally stepping down from a stair, Those are just the ones that I remember off the top of my head, there are countless other incidences as well.
    Yes Sir-eee. I'm a clutz.  
      November 1, 2019 5:01 AM MDT

Oh my gosh glenho Oh my gosh. Well future blessings be upon thee so that stuff like that doesn't happen much or ever. Tripping over air? Sorry m'dear but I got a chuckle out of that. Not me. That was Bad Rosie. Once upon a time long ago I tried to use crutches and it hurt so much under the arms even thought the crutches had tons of padding! So I used a cane and hobbled about which also wasn't so pleasant. Did your under arms hurt you used them? Anyway my Jim instructed me to NEVER FORCE ANYTHING. He wants me to call him to do whatever it is I think needs doing. I'm impatients and he isn't and sometimes impatience gets me and it is never pleasant.  I've broken my little toe on foot more times than I can count but it worked out okay. My mom used to break her littles and I saw what she so I did the same thing. Haven't done it a vew years. I sure hope I didn't just hex myself! Take care glenho and Happy Friday! :) geez why are the letters so big? what the he** happened here?

This post was edited by RosieG at November 1, 2019 6:13 PM MDT
      November 1, 2019 7:00 AM MDT

You hit the font button.  I use it when I want to RANT. 
      November 1, 2019 8:29 AM MDT

Where is the font button? Does it say FONT on it? I can't find it anywhere on my keyboard.
      November 1, 2019 9:19 AM MDT

I wish you were next to me with our computers.  I guess you have another font now.  Meaning I see your type and it looks slightly bigger than before.  

What I think may have happened, because you just said you don't see a font.... is you hit the picture.  Now I will take you to where I mean....
    Look above the white window we type in.  There are three rows.  The first row above the white window has a list of selections.  The first box says font sizes.  Do you see this?  I find it helpful if we clarify before I go on for clarity's sake 
      November 1, 2019 9:23 AM MDT

Happy Friday Ms. Rosie. That has been happening since I was a kid, and gets worse as I get older. Well, maybe I just don't bounce as well as I used to. :) Yes, crutches hurt my underarms. Mine were padded also, didn't help. It's ok to chuckle, I do it too. My Mamma always told me there was a reason she didn't name me Grace. :) 
      November 1, 2019 6:25 PM MDT

Hahahahahahahaha! Oh my gosh glenho that tag line just tickled the heck outta me. Well I see a lot of grace in your replies. So there!  I wonder though if there is/has been something going on in your middle ear? That's where balance is controlled I think. Decades ago I got a middle ear infection that was terribly painful and what came along with it was I was kinda wobbly. Have you ever been checked for balance problems m'dear? As I age I have noticed my balance is more precarious. I have to move purposefully and deliberately and slowly and I"m fine. But if I get up and move immediately I get wobbly. One time a couple of years ago I fell and hurt my shoulder. I couldn't figure out why until I realized I got up fast and moved fast and lost my balance. Anyway good luck to you. Aging does not aid balance so you will have to be particularly careful. Getting old isn't a cakewalk but it sure beats the alternative! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      November 2, 2019 2:33 AM MDT

Way back when, we had hearings tests in elementary school, I always passed with flying colors. I've never had a balance check, might have to look into that. I think my main problem is a lack of paying attention. It's at the point now that if I sit too long, I have to wait a minute to move because my legs are too stiff to do anything but stand there. :0) 
    You are correct, getting older is not for sissies. 
      November 16, 2019 9:09 AM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful reply glenho and Happy Monday. It ain't for sissies but it sure beats the alternative! :)
      November 18, 2019 2:35 AM MST

I constantly cut myself and I constantly burn myself.  

YEP.  At least I don't fall down a lot.  
      November 1, 2019 7:42 AM MDT

It's quite obvious to me now that you don't drink enough alcohol...:( 
      November 1, 2019 8:39 AM MDT

I burned down my house.  Alcohol-free, but candle-laden.  DO NOT BURN CANDLES EVER AND WALK FROM THE ROOM.   
      November 1, 2019 9:24 AM MDT

It appeares that I light up people's lives and you just light up your own house.......:( 

I take it then that it wasn't a house warming party again that just got out of hand.....:(
      November 1, 2019 9:48 AM MDT

Used to do more cutting. Lately I haven't. Maybe it's all stacking up and I'll have a wingding. Thank you for your reply Sharon! :)
      November 1, 2019 9:20 AM MDT

I admire wingdings and the ability to store and keep said wingdings.  That is why my house is everything to me. I will never move again with my belongings.  They stay here.  IF I ever decide to leave here, it will be to travel and alight places.  I cannot imagine not having roots, so it won't happen.  
      November 1, 2019 9:26 AM MDT

I've been lucky with how old Nic's been good to me.....:) 
      November 1, 2019 8:41 AM MDT

Hope the luck continues forever D! Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 1, 2019 9:21 AM MDT

Once needed 11 stiches in my hand, sliced by a jagged bean-tin edge when I was trying to open it with a worn-out can-opener.

One place I am VERY careful is in my workshop though. One or two of my machines would have your fingers off and eat them for breakfast before you can say Oops!, if you are careless with them.

I had an angle-grinder pull itself out my hands when the disc caught on the edge of the steelwork I was cutting up. That was frightening, and the smaller type, not the big ones builders use for cutting paving-slabs. I have used one of those larger ones, once, but never wanted to use one since. They are big and heavy, very powerful brutes for use held in the hands. 

November 1, 2019 2:43 PM MDT

I'm cutting myself all of the time. Two days ago, I sliced the tip of my finger off with a razor blade. There was a flap of skin and I had to cut it off so everything could start healing properly. Before that my cat got me pretty good. Roughhousing is our thing.
      November 16, 2019 9:13 AM MST