Active Now

Malizz
Echooos
Swoop62
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Gee, why would the brakes on my car be failing so much, especially after the meticulous way I take care of them?

Gee, why would the brakes on my car be failing so much, especially after the meticulous way I take care of them?

It’s strange, really. Lately when I try to apply the brakes, they are mushy and unresponsive.  Since this problem began about ten days ago, I have slammed through various stop signs, stop lights, and intersections, I have nearly rear-ended more than a few cars, I have scared pedestrians in crosswalks who thought I was go to bowl them over, when o try to park the car, I have plowed into things such as walls, fences, barriers, and shrubs as if I am driving a battering ram on crack.

Looking back a couple weeks, everything was perfectly fine with the brakes. Well, that’s not entirely true. The brakes were squeaking all the time, and day after day it got increasingly worse, increasingly louder, increasingly annoying. It got so bad that I remedied it by spraying globs and globs of WD-40 directly into all of the working parts of the brakes. Every time the squeaking started again, more WD-40.  You probably wouldn’t believe how much of it I slathered on there, it was Goo City.  I guess I must have gone through an entire can of the stuff on each wheel twice a week. The squeaking has stopped completely now, but the brakes . . .

HEY, WAIT A SECOND!

Posted - November 2, 2019

Responses

• Lol
      November 2, 2019 8:09 PM MDT

Don't ask me. I had nothing to do with it..probably.
      November 2, 2019 8:34 PM MDT

Hold on, does this have anything to do with those papers you had me sign?

~
      November 2, 2019 9:28 PM MDT

It might be one factor.
      November 3, 2019 5:07 AM MST

The brakes squeaking could mean there's dirt in them.  The squishy feeling could mean your tire pressure is too low.  Hitting four pedestrians is not the recommended way to stop your vehicle.  I would take it to a good mechanic. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at November 3, 2019 3:26 PM MST
      November 3, 2019 8:20 AM MST

So up to three pedestrians is acceptable, right?

~
      November 3, 2019 3:25 PM MST

Correct.  You get a pass on the first three.
      November 4, 2019 7:43 AM MST

you pretty smart guy huh?
      November 3, 2019 2:48 PM MST