Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is there MORE WIGGLE ROOM in your views as you age or less. Are MORE CERTAIN about what you think FOR SURE or less? Why?

Is there MORE WIGGLE ROOM in your views as you age or less. Are MORE CERTAIN about what you think FOR SURE or less? Why?

Posted - November 8, 2019

Responses

Do you remember that poem from gradeschool about the blind man and the elephant?  I'll get it for ya.
      November 8, 2019 8:12 AM MST

One hour later.... Here it is.

Blind Men and the Elephant – A Poem by John Godfrey Saxe
    Here is John Godfrey Saxe’s (1816-1887) version of Blind Men and the Elephant:

It was six men of Indostan,
    To learning much inclined,
    Who went to see the Elephant
    (Though all of them were blind),
    That each by observation
    Might satisfy his mind.

The First approach'd the Elephant,
    And happening to fall
    Against his broad and sturdy side,
    At once began to bawl:
    "God bless me! but the Elephant
    Is very like a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
    Cried, -"Ho! what have we here
    So very round and smooth and sharp?
    To me 'tis mighty clear,
    This wonder of an Elephant
    Is very like a spear!"

The Third approach'd the animal,
    And happening to take
    The squirming trunk within his hands,
    Thus boldly up and spake:
    "I see," -quoth he- "the Elephant
    Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
    And felt about the knee:
    "What most this wondrous beast is like
    Is mighty plain," -quoth he,-
    "'Tis clear enough the Elephant
    Is very like a tree!"

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
    Said- "E'en the blindest man
    Can tell what this resembles most;
    Deny the fact who can,
    This marvel of an Elephant
    Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun
    About the beast to grope,
    Then, seizing on the swinging tail
    That fell within his scope,
    "I see," -quoth he,- "the Elephant
    Is very like a rope!"
    And so these men of Indostan
    Disputed loud and long,
    Each in his own opinion
    Exceeding stiff and strong,
    Though each was partly in the right,
    And all were in the wrong!

MORAL,

So, oft in theologic wars
    The disputants, I ween,
    Rail on in utter ignorance
    Of what each other mean;
    And prate about an Elephant
    Not one of them has seen!

This is pretty much how I feel about growing older. I find that everyone has it partly right and partly wrong.  

November 8, 2019 10:15 AM MST

I'm familiar with the blind men all feeling a different part of the elephant and concluding different things about what an elephant is. I did not know it was a poem.
      November 9, 2019 1:48 AM MST

In the spiritual, bedrock/foundational, common-sense aspects of my life, no wiggle-room exists, no compromise forthcoming. Other areas of my daily life are open for discussion and changes if need be. :)
      November 8, 2019 10:14 AM MST

We of the non-pedantic tribe, say perhaps it would be helpful to take the stick out.  You are not in control of a thing.  Any moment now, your heart may experience a fatal aneurism, or you may fall victim to a car accident while going to the store for groceries.  You need to be aware that surrender is your only option.  Not being stuck in some pretend world where there is no grey.  How sad and how confusing it must be to live in that world of no surrender.  

Those who control that much?  Are known in the psychological world as anal retentives because they are often constipated and try and control their very bowels. Most unhealthy.  

Breathe and do some yoga at least. It is a healthy way to control the body and mind and spirit.  Try it.  Maybe you will learn that Trump is not the guy you think he is and progressive candidates are really involved in making your life better as well as the rest of the planet. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 8, 2019 10:21 AM MST
      November 8, 2019 10:16 AM MST

I recognize the effort you put into your comment but I disagree with it. Mainly because you didn't seem to fully understand nor comprehend what I said in my answer. And bringing Trump into your comment where Trump was never mentioned, in the question or my answer, confirms as much. My answer was apolitical, however your comment wasn't.

Perhaps the following will help you understand what I meant in my answer. The Bible makes it clear that God does not condone "compromising" His standards:

“Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the LORD. Joyful are those who obey His laws and search for Him with all their hearts. They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in His paths. You have charged us to keep Your commandments carefully” (Psalm 119:1-4, NLT).
      November 8, 2019 11:12 AM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful reply ru and Happy Friday to you. I don't know how old you are m'dear but mebbe as you age a little tiny bit of wiggle room will show up! :)
      November 8, 2019 11:17 AM MST

Thank you and you are very welcome. I will be 71 in December and the spiritual, bedrock/foundational, common-sense aspects of my life have remained and grown stronger since 1975. But, as I said in the second part of my answer, the other areas of my life are open for discussion and changes made which I have done. So the wiggle room is present in the non-spiritual part of my life. Happy Friday to you. :)
      November 8, 2019 9:10 PM MST

I can relate. I have talked to GOD every day since I can remember. I know what's right and wrong for me and that has never changed. I don't put morality on and take it off when it's convenient for me to "look the other way". That's why I am so puzzled that Evangelicals have embraced trump as they have. Oh well. There are lots of things I will never understand. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday. I just turned 82 It's amazing how young I still feel. Gosh when I was a kid I thought 40 was old! :)
      November 9, 2019 12:21 AM MST

Yup, I know what you mean by thinking 40 was old when I was young. As far as still feeling young, me too. I have always had the excitement and exuberance of a teenager. I don't embrace any politician in particular but I do recognize and embrace the policies that are good for the country and its citizens and that fall within the parameters of the Constitution, Amendments, and the Law of the Land. However, I reject the policies that are not good for the country and its citizens and that do not fall within the parameters of the Constitution, the Amendments, and the Law of the Land. Happy Saturday to you also. :)
      November 9, 2019 4:38 AM MST

Very sensible ru. i can't find a thing you wrote above with which I disagree! Of course we don't all agree on what is or is not good for the country but that is expected. We are all alike in intellect or emotion or comprehension or perception. We are the sum told of everything we ever experienced and our experiences might be vastly different. Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
      November 9, 2019 4:49 AM MST