Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » I think that one of the worst things about medical care in the US is its ridiculously high cost. How could that be improved? ~

I think that one of the worst things about medical care in the US is its ridiculously high cost. How could that be improved? ~

Posted - November 12, 2019

Responses

OK..fine..I responded to your "Comment" 

November 12, 2019 12:20 PM MST

Yes....I received the notification.
      November 12, 2019 12:52 PM MST

Try following the BERNIE SANDERS CAMPAIGN why don't you?  Or Elizabeth Warren.  They have REAL PLANS and Bernie has been speaking about this PLAN for about 35 years now.  

I am not going to spoon feed you.  Watch the ISSUES and see  for yourself.  And try and keep an open mind.  IT has worked and does work.  In other countries.  We can mirror the same plans.  
      November 12, 2019 8:32 AM MST

This is where the "Monkey See.  Monkey Do."  would be beneficial.  I totally agree. :) :)
      November 12, 2019 8:47 AM MST

I applaud the Randall for attempting to open an intelligent discussion.  This is VOLUMONOUS and with Randy trying to always agrue the opposite (he's a Libra, cannot help himself) point of an issue brought up by another Mugger, this will, I fear dissolve into a morass of verbiage, and little else.  I just want to do what we are doing right now, Mer.  Talk about it in lay man's terms.  You just at some point, need to turn on the TV and think.  Ya know? 
      November 12, 2019 8:50 AM MST

I am a Libra as well. 
      November 12, 2019 11:43 AM MST

Sanders and Warren. The candidates with the slimmest chances to beat Trump and the biggest reasons for Mike Bloomberg to enter the race. Keep dreaming.
      November 12, 2019 9:08 AM MST

There are too many layers of money-grabbers between the doctors and patients. The ortho clinic I got to has only two doctors, but a score of auxiliary staff...office workers, nurses, assistants of all sorts etc. Each of them has to eat and pay bills. Don't get me started on medical insurance. I have had several major surgeries over the past ten years and I have noticed that they have to charge up to ten times what the procedures actually cost in order for them to get what it should actually cost. I am on medicare and they pay 80% of what they are charged. My supplemental pays the rest. I have already found three medicare fraud instances in my procedures. When I contacted medicare, they didn't seem to care. That's where a lots of the money goes. I don't know of any fixes, except universal care paid with taxes.
      November 12, 2019 8:44 AM MST

Please trust me.  Vote for Bernie. Don't vote for Trump. There, now rest your head on the pillow. I have made the decision for you.  Go barbeque something. 
      November 12, 2019 8:51 AM MST

1. You insulted me by saying "Don't vote for it."
    2.  BARBEQUE? There are four inches of snow on the ground. Yikes. Time to make my annual 'walk barefoot in the snow' trek. Maybe a naked snow angel.
      November 12, 2019 8:58 AM MST

Have you looked at any of the Medicare Advantage programs in your area? Some are really good in mine. No extra cost and better coverage. You pay copays up to the max annual out of pockets amount. Some with eye/ear/dental care. Now is the time for annual enrollment. This post was edited by my2cents at November 12, 2019 5:18 PM MST
      November 12, 2019 11:52 AM MST

Tri-care pays for it all...free.
      November 12, 2019 5:19 PM MST

So the Tricare your supplimental? Good for you. :)
      November 12, 2019 5:29 PM MST

Yes...for military retirees and families, and disabled vets.
      November 12, 2019 5:33 PM MST

Prepriceing of medical prcedures. Office visits etc. 
    Abilty to shop around forces competition for services.

Availability of online or automated visits for simple things like cold/flu. 

November 12, 2019 11:47 AM MST

Healthcare should NOT be competitive. Everyone deserves quality healthcare
      November 12, 2019 12:08 PM MST

Then we get what we have...price gouging because they can. It it effects those who needs the competition the most...not those with insurance. The insurance does price compare that is why most have "networks." 
      November 12, 2019 12:13 PM MST

No...We already have price gouging and insurance companies are complicit.
    The solution is Medicare for all
    Living on the Canadian border, I know many who go to Canada to get the exact same drugs they are prescribed in the US for a fraction of the cost.  Proven Facts

I have spoken to many Doctors at Dartmouth-Hitchcock. The solution is a single-payer system 

November 12, 2019 12:18 PM MST

It maybe but people should realize single payer comes with a big tax burden. And they will collect it from us all. 
    Bernie says no premiums...so al least the seniors/disabled will get a big raise. 
      November 12, 2019 12:37 PM MST

Yeah? Do you think everything is free? 
    It's time that the wealthy start paying their share again as they did in the 1960s.
    Sorry...I am not a cheerleader for the Billionaires who pay fewer taxes than I do
      November 12, 2019 12:39 PM MST

No Billionairre is paying less than a normal worker. Over 1/2 of workers effective tax rate is negative. They get much more than they pay in. I know I enjoyed that for 25yrs while kids were growing up. I not complaining by the way. But do not pretend it is not the case. 

According to Bernie/Warren it is free to all except the "rich." Bernie gonna raise your taxes but your will still be ahead because no premiums. Warren claims will just tax rich....so yes she is claiming it will be free.
      November 12, 2019 12:46 PM MST

OK, Boomer

lol

Bernie never said healthcare was free. That's a liie
      November 12, 2019 4:29 PM MST

I not a boomer. I am Gen X. 

So then why is there a problem with saying Bernie is gonna raise everyone's taxes? He is. You gave me the link and encouraged me to look at it. 

I did. And he is charging people making $29,000 (fam of 4) a tax.  So admit he is gonna raise EVERYONE'S taxes. 

Ok, Boomer? 
      November 13, 2019 6:28 AM MST

Implement a Medicare for all, single-payer system.

The US spends more than $3.2 trillion a year on health care. About sixty-five percent of this funding, over $2 trillion, is spent on publicly financed health care programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, and other programs. At $10,000 per person, the United States spends far more on health care per capita and as a percentage of GDP than any other country on earth in both the public and private sectors while still leaving 28 million Americans uninsured and millions more under-insured.

The US gov could save up to $500 billion per year on administrative costs by moving to a Medicare for All, single-payer health care system. Moreover, the United States pays, by far, the highest prices in the world for prescription drugs because Congress has done nothing to regulate the price of medicine. If the U.S. joined the rest of the industrialized world and negotiated with the pharmaceutical companies to lower prices, our country could save up to $113 billion per year.

Limit tax deductions for the wealthy.

Establish a Wealth Tax on the Top 0.1 percent Revenue raised

Make the Estate Tax More Progressive Revenue raised

Taxing capital gains and dividends the same as income from work.

Progressive income tax rates. A marginal income tax rate of: 
    -40 percent on income between $250,000 and $500,000.
    -45 percent on income between $500,000 and $2 million.
    -50 percent on income between $2 million and $10 million.
    -52 percent on income above $10 million.  

Close the Gingrich-Edwards Loophole and Create Parity for Wealthy Business Owners Revenue raised
    Impose a one-time tax on currently held offshore profits Revenue raised

Impose a Fee on Large Financial Institutions 

Closedown the VA because everyone will have Medicare for all and roll that money into the medicare system.  The VA is requesting $220 Billion for 2002

Stop providing blind handouts to countries like Israel

November 12, 2019 12:04 PM MST

https://decisiondata.org/news/how-much-single-payer-uhc-would-cost-usa/

Conclusion

Universal Health Care would save the people of the United States about $600 billion for the same level of care they're receiving. We found it would require an additional $562 billion in taxation to cover the government spending, after savings and increases to demand. Is a single-payer universal system worth it? As always, that's for you to decide – we're just here to give you the data that helps you make important decisions.

It saves USA $600B but we still need $562B.  Trust me they will not only get that from "the rich"....they will tax us all. If you are good with YOUR taxes going up significantly then yay good vote for it. But do not believe they are not going to tax you. Cause they will. Even Bernie says it will happen. Follow the link it is very interesting. 

November 12, 2019 12:24 PM MST