Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If they actually existed, were Adam and Eve vegetarians?

If they actually existed, were Adam and Eve vegetarians?

Some say that God gave permission to eat meat after the Flood. But there were a lot of shepherds in the bible, and to me, shepherds = meat eaters. Was everyone in the bible vegetarian before Noah? And if so, were they strict vegans?

Posted - November 12, 2019

Responses

Unbiased schools would be a good start I think....governments not jumping on the band wagon purely to get votes to...
      November 13, 2019 2:20 PM MST

Here in the US (which, having lived here most of my life, I call into question whether it meets the measure of an “educated nation”) there are still places where Young Earth Creationism is foisted into school science classes, and Biblical literalism is presented as historical record.
    It is less preferable in such places to teach children how to think, so that they may reason for themselves, than inculcate what to think, so they will vote a certain way. 

The Parties of God have always known their religions could not long withstand an emerging generation of educated free thinkers. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 14, 2019 6:27 AM MST
      November 13, 2019 2:52 PM MST

It still is in countries where people are still killed for not believing ...force fed compulsory bile from birth is almost impossible to eradicate....even more so when labe sums of monies are involved...
      November 13, 2019 3:20 PM MST

I had a science teacher colleague who refused to teach evolution. I could never understand that.
      November 13, 2019 3:31 PM MST

Clearly not much of a science teacher. Pity the students. 
      November 13, 2019 3:39 PM MST

Indeed.
      November 13, 2019 3:47 PM MST

Absolutely and sadly, true fact.
      November 14, 2019 5:43 AM MST

WHAT??  
    I'm sorry to yell and it's not at you by any means...BUT...
    WHAT???
      November 14, 2019 5:41 AM MST

Neither can I.
    Did he teach biology? If so, did genes play a role in reproductive biology?
    Did he teach geography? If so, what did the ages and types of rocks show? How about the evidence of fossil fuel residues in the last two hundred years of new sedimentary rocks?
    Did he teach chemistry? If so, how did he understand the workings of biochemistry?
    Did he teach physics? If so, did that include Newtonian, and intros to Quantum and Astronomical?

And what is it about the state and the employment contract that makes it possible for a teacher to refuse to teach his subject?
      September 17, 2022 5:51 PM MDT

Believing, saying and advocating one's beliefs can get you shot.
      November 13, 2019 3:28 PM MST

What should really bake your noodle is that it is primarily OTHER BELIEVERS doing the shooting.  : \
      November 13, 2019 3:43 PM MST

Anybody with good sense and common sense has the ability to see two sides of any historical "fact." 
    To me, one of the cool things about science is theory.  People who are able to teach the idea of exploration and expounding of a "fact" already given are amazing. 

Science is all about learning and refining, when needed, thoughts already found true.
    Only death of a body is etched in stone.  The power and thought of that person lives on.
    All other "facts" and "history" are open for discussion.  
    The beauty of Science Teachers!! This post was edited by Merlin at November 14, 2019 3:04 PM MST
      November 14, 2019 5:47 AM MST

Once you are dead ,you can only live on in written words ,film/photos and in the memories of others..more so if you are not famous in any way...
    Lnce your dead you just return to the atoms that created you ,just like and other growing forms of life on this planet.

I wonder why ,vegetation,animals, all sea life ,birds ,bugs and living viruses don't have churches or worship imaginary gods....   :( 
      November 14, 2019 3:17 PM MST

Adam and Eve were never given permission to eat meat. They were given instructions on eating and it was always vegitarian. Fruit, veg, herbs, seeds etc. 

Sheep were used for clothing and sacrifice. Likely milk, cheese. 

I am sure as we go farther away from A&E, I am sure people were eating meat. Before the flood it is said the thought and did evil all the time. This post was edited by my2cents at November 13, 2019 7:40 AM MST
      November 13, 2019 6:04 AM MST

Given permission by whom ? 
      November 13, 2019 2:32 PM MST

God the Father in the Bible. 
      November 13, 2019 3:38 PM MST

An imaginary thing giving permission....it's all akin to brain washing as a child more like....not wishing to apear rude though....
      November 14, 2019 5:16 AM MST

The question is about Adam and Eve....they are in the Bible. So naturally the answer is also going to come from the Bible amd that means God is going to be involved. Regardless of others belief or nonbelief. 
      November 14, 2019 6:01 AM MST

A new record for you. Two answers and no spelling or grammar errors. Go check your temperature.
      November 14, 2019 12:21 PM MST

I was thinking the same thing.  I read the word, "can." To me, that means the ability. That doesn't mean a must, should, would, or you will be in trouble if you don't.
    I'm not picking on 2 cents.  I just don't see where the permission thing come in to play. 

This post was edited by Merlin at November 14, 2019 7:42 AM MST
      November 14, 2019 5:58 AM MST

Where is the word "can"?
    Permission is involved because God the Father gave them instructions on what they were allowed to eat and what they were not allowed to eat. That is what there were permited to eat and not permitted to eat. It is not about ability to eat. But about God's instructions to them.  This post was edited by my2cents at November 14, 2019 6:15 AM MST
      November 14, 2019 6:09 AM MST

In the Bible, I'm not sure.  In our thread, I found it implied.  My quotations around "can" is incorrect if I "can't" find it in the thread.
    Either way, in all sincerity, it is wonderful to learn about the Bible from others and the power it has had over their lives.  Whether they can quote it, live by it, or don't believe a word of it, the Bible Does have power. 

This post was edited by Merlin at November 14, 2019 7:13 AM MST
      November 14, 2019 6:24 AM MST

It is not in the Bible. And I could not find it in the thread so I was confused as well.  Likely the permission= "can" while reading. 

But yes, the Bible does have power.  :)
      November 14, 2019 6:35 AM MST

:) :)!
      November 14, 2019 8:47 AM MST

Gen 1:29 - 31 "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat." And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so. And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

So the above suggests that not only Adam and Eve were vegan or vegetarian, but so were the animals. 

Genesis chapter 2 says that God created man, planted a garden Eastward in Eden, and put the man in the garden to dress and keep it. However, Adam and Eve not only disobeyed God when they ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but also proved that they did not believe God when he told them they'd die, (hence losing faith); they chose to believe and obey Satan  (and whatever you obey you give your power to), and when confronted by God, they tried to blame each other for their behaviour rather than being honest and accepting responsibility (just as humans do now). As such they were driven out of Eden, and thorns and thistles were made to grow, and enmity was placed between the serpent and the woman.  Man now had to work, and earn what he had.

This shows that what man did in disobeying God, and obeying the nachash and eating the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil, not only changed their relationship with God, (since after they became fearful of him), not only affected how they operated in their dealings when confronted with wrongdoing, but also affected everything else around them, it changed everything; they now felt shame at their nakedness, and nakedness isn't just a bodily thing, it's a feeling of being exposed for wrongdoing, (a feeling most people like to get rid of like a hot potato), and death came upon the earth and fear of death, because the wages of sin is death. In Judaism satan is not only equated with the evil inclination, but also the Angel of Death.  Hence, what happened to the inner man, also affected the outer world as it does today.

Isaiah 11 also shows that it is God's will that man will be given the opportunity to return to his perfect state in union with God and the world will be return to as it was before...

And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD; And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the Lord: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears: But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked. And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins. The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea. And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

Now the first time God permits eating meat is after the flood, however once man sinned God made them skins, Genesis 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them. Of course it would be wise to consider also the reason for the flood, Cain was the first murderer, and the earth had become corrupt and the wickedness of man was great on the earth. Genesis 6 Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight and the earth was filled with violence.

Animal sacrifice was brought in after the fall, the animal died instead of the human (sinner), as the wages of sin are death. So each time a person had to sacrifice an animal he also had to realise that that animal was having to die in order to pay the wage he should of paid for sin, and so watch that animal die in place of him, however he couldn't stop committing sin because it is alluring, it is tempting, even enjoyable in a fleeting way, but never fulfilling.  

This is why Christ is called the sacrificial lamb, he died the death we should, he pays the price for everyone once and for all, and tells us to follow him, which means to repent, to die to the self, to die to our flesh desires, and be born again of the spirit making us spiritual sons of God, no longer born of human will or decision, but born of God, hence this is the way back to Eden.  John 1:9 The true Light who gives light to every man was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through Him, the world did not recognize Him. He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God—children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God.

The soul always feels lost, it always seeks union with God unless distracted by the desires of the flesh or self, which can never be fulfilled.

This post was edited by kjames at November 13, 2019 12:39 PM MST
      November 13, 2019 12:14 PM MST