Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » From now on moderators if you want to change my posts you could at least discuss it with me first. Understood? How rude.

From now on moderators if you want to change my posts you could at least discuss it with me first. Understood? How rude.

Posted - November 13, 2019

Responses

No message or anything? WOW! I wonder why! 
    Maybe they will use the excuse that it was not a "Question" but a "Statement"

Someone better start going through every damn "Question" to make sure it is in the correct format. This stinks of an agenda to me

You're right. It was rude AF
      November 13, 2019 4:40 PM MST

• Well, here's my beef.  If a mod can take the time to spot the supposed offense and also find the time to make changes then they should at least have the intelligence and proper consideration of the member in question to contact them and give them a heads up as to what is going on.  I would have been more than happy to make a correction but this stinks of something foul and I am incensed.
      November 13, 2019 4:44 PM MST

I agree 100%. It stinks of a biased agenda 
      November 13, 2019 4:45 PM MST

• I blame Trump.

November 13, 2019 4:55 PM MST

I think it's Israel's fault
      November 13, 2019 5:04 PM MST

In my experience, they get removed, not changed. When the mods do it, they send a message explaining why. If you didn't receive one, it could be that another member deleted a post to which you responded, and all connected posts got deleted with it.
      November 13, 2019 5:04 PM MST

• Thank you, Stu Bee.  I appreciate your help. 
    All this and grammar warnings too.  You're the total package.  Lol!
      November 13, 2019 5:42 PM MST

Your statement was not changed. It was moved to statements. Because that is what it was a statement. 
    You have since changed it by adding a question to the end of your statement and it is now in the proper catergory. 

Questions/statements are moved everyday to proper categories. We do not notify the user because it is not a moderation issue. It is just orgainizing the site and a part of the innner workings of the site itself.

If your question had been changed by a mod/admin you would recieve a notification explaining what and why it was moderated (edited or deleted) 

November 13, 2019 5:44 PM MST

• P!ss poor and rather lazy excuse for not extending the courtesy of informing the member. 
    I rebuke your silliness.  There is not one single reason why you couldn't or shouldn't.
      November 13, 2019 6:17 PM MST

There are days I have moved 100s of questions. To try and notify users would take forever. And it would never get done. 

Sprry if that offends you. 
      November 13, 2019 6:43 PM MST

They think they are paying customers or something.  You tell 'em.  You are not the maid.  
      November 13, 2019 6:53 PM MST

• I don't even know what to say to this other than I don't think of her as being here to please us thru servitude, I was just of the thinking that it is a simple matter of courtesy.  Notifications are given for everything else I see no reason why the member couldn't be informed of this change as well.  So sorry the notion gets you in a bit of a snit, Shar. 

November 13, 2019 7:02 PM MST

Oh my, having a sh*t fit for a bit of a snit!
      November 13, 2019 7:51 PM MST

We don't notify people about category changes. Like she said, it would place an unreasonable load on us if we did. We used to have Alf helping manage categories and moving things. Just doing that without sending notices became a part-time job for him and the poor guy got burned out. I hope he wouldn't mind me saying that, but it's true. He was so good about helping though. The best, actually. But even when we had a dedicated category manager volunteer, it just wasn't realistic to have him sending out notices on top of all the hours he spent moving things. We did from time to time, like if someone was miscategorizing a lot- we'd send them a message to let them know in the hopes they'd start doing it correctly and Alf would have less work. But now... like i said, we don't even have Alf and M2C and I have tried to pick up the slack. I can't speak for M2C, but I don't hold a candle to Alf. He genuinely had it down to a science and was so methodical. 

I do get what you're saying and I can understand why you might want a notice. It's just not reasonable for us to notify on those like we do with removals or edits. And, even when we have notified people in the past (Alf would give me a block of links if someone was a habitual miscategorizer), people weren't really responsive. Some were good about it, but I would say a solid 50% either continued because they didn't see the value in using the right categories/ didn't understand them, got mad because we moved stuff, or continued miscategorizing because they thought they were being cute and/or funny. There was little benefit in notifying on them because it generally created more friction. 
      November 13, 2019 8:46 PM MST

In my opinion, the time and effort expended on changing dozens or hundreds of posts is futile and needless. Honestly, until this string started, I haven’t even been aware as to whether or not any of my posts in particular have been moved around. I don’t think I place things in the “wrong category”, but if I do and they’ve been moved, it’s the answers and comments received that I care about when it comes to posting here. Now I have to pay closer attention to where my posts are. 
      In the old days of AnswerBag, I was a serial offender of purposely using off-the-wall categories, and yes, I did it to be funny or cute. I have not carried that practice here to AnswerMug, so if admins or mods determine that something of mine needs to be moved, I’ve neither noticed it, and as such, nor have I raised a stink about it. 
      I think that Twinkle is justified in being perturbed. We are all entitled to our opinions, and there’s no requirement that each of us sees things exactly as anyone else does. I would be less interested in notification (either before or after moving my post) than I would in no posts ever being moved at all. (AnswerMug is harmless fun, the category of where a posts lands is small enough potatoes that I don’t think mods need to move them unless they’re clearly inappropriate for Main Page viewing, such as adult material.)

~
      November 14, 2019 2:38 AM MST

Categories were a big thing early on. The "statements" section saved lives after EP closed. Prior to that, most Muggers were former ABers, but then we suddenly had thousands posting the equivalent of "I like turtles" in the questions. Oh my gosh, people were foaming at the mouth. 

These days, that's less of an issue, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that most of the people who are here have been here for ages and those who weren't geared toward Q&A largely left. Given the chaos that ensues in a high-volume site when the infrastructure isn't there, I definitely see benefit to maintaining it making sure people know how it works. I don't get nitpicky about categories. If I can see the logic in why someone chose something, I leave it. For example, the "answerMug Members" category is for questions about specific Muggers. i.e. "Have you seen so-and-so?" or "How many tildes do you think Randy D has stashed under his mattress?" The "answerMug" category is for questions about the site itself. That in mind, this question should be under "answerMug." I could see it fitting under "Life and Society," "Human Behavior" and a number of other categories as well. I wouldn't move it if I saw it in any of those categories, but I would if I saw it in "Shopping" or some variant that doesn't make sense by any stretch of the imagination. 

I don't think I've ever personally moved one of yours, or at the very least, I haven't done it enough that you stand out in my mind as a habitual miscategorizer. I really don't move all that many these days either.

Maybe in the future we can institute an automatic notification for when a mod moves something. I don't see us stopping category management altogether though. 

November 14, 2019 8:52 AM MST

(thru through)
      November 14, 2019 2:21 AM MST

• *Sighs* 

I'm just gonna twirl around the living room
    and sing a rousing rendition of "Let It Go." 

LOL!.

November 13, 2019 6:59 PM MST

The website quite clearly and quite confusingly uses the words “DISCUSSION” and “QUESTION” in its labeling of the exact same thing. To claim that a discussion (or a post that uses a discussion to invite/stimulate interaction) can only be placed in the Statements category seems to also call for getting rid of the DISCUSSION label altogether. Not every discussion needs to be phrased as a question.

From the time that AnswerBag folded and I migrated here, I noticed that discrepancy (among others), I brought it up, but my protests fell on deaf ears. 

Please stop punishing people for following exactly what the website offers as choices.

November 13, 2019 8:00 PM MST

There wasn't an easy fix for that. I had to use a pre-built template to make the site. Sometimes, it's easy to make changes. Other times, finding the thing that needs changing is like finding a needle in a haystack. And, still other times, changing one thing in one place changes other things in other places and everything winds up scrambled. This particular issue fits into the latter category. 

Ironically, I am half deaf, but I heard you. I just couldn't easily fix the issue.

All that said, nobody gets "punished" for putting something in the wrong category. We just move it where it belongs. 
      November 13, 2019 8:25 PM MST

Thank you for the clarification. As for not being a punishment, moving posts to the obscure and less-visited Statements category because they are not questions may not seem like a punishment to you, fine. If the double-labeled Discussion/Question field isn’t the appropriate place for both discussions and questions, it seems like a punishment to me. 
    ~
      November 14, 2019 2:16 AM MST

(everyday every day)
    (Final sentence lacks the appropriate ending punctuation.)
      November 14, 2019 2:19 AM MST

It's all his fault!
      November 13, 2019 5:58 PM MST

• I usually put my questions one of 3 categories: 

Death and dying—if I’m angry. 

Beauty...if I’m happy.  

Babies and kids... if I’m annoyed. 

I do notice by the next day they’re always moved into the correct category.  I don’t get emails about it nor would I want to be emailed that much, lol. 

November 13, 2019 7:56 PM MST